Questionaire - USA, Chef's knife for beginner

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redw0od

Reaction score

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef's knife, maybe others

Are you right or left handed?
Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
No Preference but I'm a tall guy with large hands.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
9+ Inches, but flexible. My current set has an 8in and 9in knives and I prefer the 9in.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$200 but I really aim for "bang for your buck" philosophy

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Simple meal prep, vegetable slicing, meat slicing

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
KitchenAide Classic Forged

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push-Cut thick veggies, Slice meats and herbs

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Retain sharp edge

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
No Preference

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
No Preference as long as it fits my hand.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Better food release would be nice

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Longer is important to me.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Plastic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Not well

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

My current knives don't retain a sharp edge for more than a couple uses. I've cut myself while slicing an onion when trying to dice it. And I believe this is because the knife was too dull which caused it to stick during slicing and my hand then slipped into the blade.
I'd like to have a knife I can trust to hold a sharp edge and be useful as an all around kitchen knife.
On the whole, I'm relatively new to cooking and have a lot to learn. Please assume I have no real knowledge of kitchen knifes.

I think the Gesshin Stainless from JKI might be a good option. It comes well regarded all the time and would seem suitable for your needs. You could always talk to Jon at JKI and he might have some ideas that would work for you.

And once again it's hard to overlook the Tanaka ginsan nashiji lite from Knives and Stones. it's a well thought out SS knife with really good cutting performance and well above average edge retention. It works just as well for a J-knife beginner as for a more experienced user. It has a very nice and thin grin behind the edge which helps with the high performance, but keep in mind that the thin edge doesn't like to abused. I wouldn't call it weak by any means, but better to be aware just incase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks DitmasPork, I can't really tell why the first 2 options are twice the price of the 3rd. Why would those be better?

Can't speak for Ditmas but the 3rd, the Tojiro, is a Walmart wannabe, piece of crap. If you've just gotta have a knife and only have 75 bucks to spend - then sit on your hands, quit smoking, don't feed the dog, skip the alimony, duck the landlord, until you can go over $100:cool:. There's a reason it's priced where it is and at any price it's not worth it.

The Gesshin stainless from JKI is a great value at $130 but currently out of stock. The Suisin Western Inox is another good value at $120 (and 15% off through July). http://www.korin.com/HSU-INGY-240?sc=27&category=280068

A phone call to JKI is always a good investment of time.

And damn, I've sharpened those Kitchen-Aid knives. You have my sympathies. Give them to someone you don't like.

If your current knives are not staying sharp more than a couple of uses, it could be that the knives are hopeless but it could be that you are not propperly removing the burr when you sharpen.

Just get the Tanaka ginsan nashiji and live happily ever after.

Back