Questions on Xerxes Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was my experience too. Way too thin and bendy.

Yeah, Jannis makes his tips very thin. Personally, I like this. Never tipped one of my Xerxes (6 in total + 9 temporary for testing) but of course, the risk is there and he is aware of it.

I mean... you can more easily stabilize a tip than grind it thinner, so he's got a point IMHO...

Regarding the Primus, I only have the Santoku, there the tip is more sturdy ;)

Regards, Iggy

Yeah Xerxes tips are a little too delicate for normal use in my opinion. One of my favorite makers (@Andrei ) also has very delicate tips with harder steels but they hold up better, I've been using a 67HRC laser for some difficult tasks with no issues.

Well whoever bought the wrought iron 1.5k €, I think also bought the 4k€. They both dissapeared at the same time so I guess the same transaction. Congrats to the guy!
What i liked about thd 4 k integral was
1) it had a superb finish
2) the wrought iron damascus and the hagane damascus just flowing one into the other.
3) the bolster resembled a vertebra so very intricate and complex geometry there
4) the handle was just flowing into a perfect shape and the knife was screwed into it with a brass cap.
Amazing.
https://www.xerxes-knives-shop.com/82-multibar-gyuto.html

Xerxes has a EUR4,200 (inclusive of VAT) 270mm integral damascus gyuto for sale right now. The damascus pattern doesn't really grab me even though I admire the workmanship. He says it is one of the most intricate patterns he has made to date.

Could I ask the Xerxes fans what details to appreciate in the knife? I'm educating myself about the workmanship.

I'm no fan (since I don't own any xerxes) but the answer is quite simple. There are so few master smiths that could make that pattern so controlled and so consistent ( i can think only one: Bill Burke). This technique beats what hinoura does and kato damascus or shigefusa kitaeji is just some child's play compared to this. Also if you look at the geometry of the handle and the level of detail...it's amazing (not like wa handles we are used to).What is also unique other than the pattern is that the damascus is not your usual 1084 & 15N20 damascus ( which are average but maleable steels). If you look at the steel combo listed for this xerxes knives you will see that they are steels similar to blue2 so high alloy and high carbon which is great edge retention at a high hardness. Hat off to Jannis for his sublime skills and refinement

Back