Questions on Xerxes Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyfabes

Reaction score
From Jannis' website, it mentions that custom orders would open up at the beginning of this year, but haven't seen any updates or a date adjustment (January 2020 has come and gone). Anyone know the revised date?

Also, from what I've read, I don't believe that Jannis ships to the US, but after seeing lots of posts from members with Xerxes knives in the US, wondering if something changed?

I've tried to message him on IG/website, but no response, so hoping someone here has some insights. Thank you!

People are getting them through Proxies. He won't ship to USA, that hasn't changed. Make friends with some of the Euro guys.

he said he would post it on instagram when he decides to reopen books.
he can ship to u.s.a. address, but bill to address needs to be elsewhere.

We should make friends on either sides europe and US. Since there are some benefits on both sides. We also need a trusted friend in Japan.
if an american buys a european product through a european, he would have to pay VAT.

I was kinda pondering a primus, but even then the availability+odd specs is a turn off for me. But I can understand his popularity though.

How much does he charge for an integral carbon san mai 230mm I wonder....

his prices went up a lot recently. Last batch had a 4K knife.

He calculates very public, sets 60€ for an hour of work, which is rather cheap in comparison to other professions in Germany.

That said, 4K for a knife is also way too much for me, but I am sure, the specific knife is worth every cent.

In the KMS forum he said, that he is working on a solution to sell his knives to the US soon. This was a few days ago.

Mack.

He calculates very public, sets 60€ for an hour of work, which is rather cheap in comparison to other professions in Germany.

That said, 4K for a knife is also way too much for me, but I am sure, the specific knife is worth every cent.

In the KMS forum he said, that he is working on a solution to sell his knives to the US soon. This was a few days ago.

Mack.

I am not criticizing his prices. He can charge whatever he wants. If someone buys it, it was the right price. I wouldn’t buy it for that price. But I’m happy for him that he was able to sell it at this price.

We all knew it was coming after he openly complained about how little money he’s making...

I also believe that a seller on the second hand market should be able to charge whatever he wants. And that opinion got me in hot waters with the GRÖFAZ of the German forum... as you might remember ;)

Last edited:
I wanted to buy the Rought Iron one with western handle, had it in my cart but quit because I have the following doubts:
1)don't know how food release is on them(it looked very flat)
2) the tip seems very pointy and fragile
3) looks tricky to maintain with a reactive coating.
Maybe some of you who have Xerxes can comment on this and maybe ease/confirm my doubts.
I don't want to buy it and just look at it.

According to his website Handgeschmiedete Messer - Einzelanfertigungen translated via Google translate.

Custom made knives are more demanding and time consuming to produce. Therefore, they are about 30-50% more pricy than an equivalent knife that I propose for direct purchase.

So if you wanted him to make you an equivalent custom integral similar to the 4K knife, it could cost you up to 6K.

I wanted to buy the Rought Iron one with western handle, had it in my cart but quit because I have the following doubts:
Maybe some of you who have Xerxes can comment on this and maybe ease/confirm my doubts.

1) what kind of grind was it?Xerxes lasers have a bad food release. But which laser doesn’t?

2) the tips are often quite fragile yes. I killed one of mine on the first cut. It’s the only tip I ever killed

3) I love wrought iron cladding. Amazing Patina. But of course it’s more reactive than a KU or even some monosteels, depending on the steel. I personally find 1.2519 (the steel Kamon uses) not overly reactive, while the silver steel from the Dalman collab knife is still very reactive after a couple of weeks

but oh that wrought iron Patina:love2:

I own 5 of his knives. 2 Primus gyutos have a solid tip. I have 3 knives from his small batches he puts up for sale every other month or so. 2 WH, 1 UF (user-friendly, which is how he calls everything between laser and WH). All of them have distal taper (more or less pronounced) with very thin tips. Most of his knives have pointy tips, only a few don’t come with this tip shape.

you can get a Maumasi for that ....

Or three from Salem Straub .... or four....
True. But I wouldn’t say that any of them is better than the others. They’re different...

Don‘t get me wrong, I am not saying that you’re not right, and I am not saying I would buy that very knife for 4K. But looking at it, reading about materials and production process, and yeah, you have to pay a premium for all that fuzz, why not? Look at all those „crazy“ prices from those big custom makers (don’t want to mention any names). Their products aren’t necessarily better than a 150-300$ production knife but they are smth special, sometimes unique, they create a fascination a production knife will never do. Also for me, if a knife sells, it had the right price, regardless of how high it was... Same with watches, for example. They all just display the time...

To be fair the 4K knife is made with historical puddle iron so it is quite unique and probably not easily obtained. So part of the cost is buying a piece of history that is not easily duplicable.

Quoted from 81# 23er Halbintegral mit einer Schneide aus Hochleistungsdamast
"The side layers of the blade consist of puddle iron from 1800, which was additionally folded several times to create a particularly beautiful pattern."

Same with watches. If you bought a watch which contains a piece of moon rock, it's going to cost you quite a bit.

https://newatlas.com/lunar-watch-moon-rock-analog-watch-co-russia/42562/

To be fair the 4K knife is made with historical puddle iron so it is quite unique and probably not easily obtained. So part of the cost is buying a piece of history that is not easily duplicable.

Quoted from 81# 23er Halbintegral mit einer Schneide aus Hochleistungsdamast
"The side layers of the blade consist of puddle iron from 1800, which was additionally folded several times to create a particularly beautiful pattern. "
That's what I meant with "reading about materials and production process, and yeah, you have to pay a premium for all that fuzz, why not? "

It’s all a matter of desire and what it’s worth to YOU.

Is a 4K knife “worth it”? Depends how you measure it. It’s worth it if you’re willing to spend the money on it.

the next person might not. Others want a knife made out of a German WW2 tank.

these are ALL luxury items that we talk about. You can make the same quality food with a cheap chinese cleaver, a Global or a Tanaka (best bang for buck knife)....

it’s the same as with watches that @daddy yo yo mentioned ... a $20 Casio shows the time just as much as a 50k Patek. More accurately even!

i have a nice watch and yet I wear a €80 G shock most of the time. And even that one I don’t need as I have a cell phone ....

You can indeed make high-quality food with a cheap Chinese cleaver, but most members of this forum seem to be here to appreciate the fine craftsmanship and functionality of luxury knives which most average household cooks would never think about purchasing with their budget. Many members seem to worry about the shock of their significant others finding of the worth they put into this particular hobby (mine probably would be shocked). While I might not want to afford to own such luxury knives, I still appreciate being able to see the beautiful collections of others who share pictures of their wealth of knives which I would never afford. Thanks for all the sharing of knowledge as well.

Last edited:
I've been in this hobby for a long time, and only heard of him for a few months now. Nothing about his work, im sure its good, but 4k good? When I buy knives I balance desire and future ability to sell (I have a lot of excess). The point is, a 4k knife from someone I only recently heard of when there are top makers selling their product for half that cost. My minds made up.

Back