Questions to ask when buying a knife...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmz76

Reaction score
Admittedly... I’ve only been “down the rabbit hole” of the knife world for the last year or so. I’ve started growing a collection, determining what I do and don’t like, and am loving it . I regularly see sales and auctions with 2 images of a knife (front and back) of the broad side of a knife with minimal info such as length , blade material, and handle material. I am confused because I feel weird always asking “can I see photos of the spine/choil? Measurements of different parts of the blade/handle? HRC? What kind of grind?”
I guess I’m confused because these answers help determine greatly if it’s a knife I’m interested in, yet it’s weird that this info isn’t given and I don’t see others asking, or that the maker isn’t giving it outright without people having to ask. Why is this? What are typical questions YOU ask that help you determine if you’re interested in a knife or not?

NOTE: I even notice it with some makers who make a wide variety of blades , so it isn’t like “well EVERY knife they make is a workhorse...”, etc

If buying on eBay and they don't have the info you need, you'd have to ask. Or you'd be making an uneducated decision. If they don't provide you what you want and you still buy it, you can't really blame them.

I do all my research on forums. I figure out the type of knife and length I want. I learn the differences between the steels. I see if my skill level is up to sharpening that knife. I see what kind of cladding it is so I know how to care for it. I see research if the fit and finish is good and if the choil is rounded for comfort.

If buying on eBay and they don't have the info you need, you'd have to ask. Or you'd be making an uneducated decision. If they don't provide you what you want and you still buy it, you can't really blame them.

I do all my research on forums. I figure out the type of knife and length I want. I learn the differences between the steels. I see if my skill level is up to sharpening that knife. I see what kind of cladding it is so I know how to care for it. I see research if the fit and finish is good and if the choil is rounded for comfort.
Yeah for certain makers/“models” (idk what term to use) that are consistent I’ll read reviews and see what others are saying , but I’m more asking about custom makers not posting that info when they’re selling a knife . (If it was eBay or amazing I’d understand not including it )

Yeah for certain makers/“models” (idk what term to use) that are consistent I’ll read reviews and see what others are saying , but I’m more asking about custom makers not posting that info when they’re selling a knife . (If it was eBay or amazing I’d understand not including it )
At the end of the day, they want to make a sale, and they want your money.

Ask for what you want, if you dont get it, and are uncomfortable with the purchase, then don't buy it!!!

Don't feel bad to ask. Some posts around here don't have those specifics because the bulk of us have tried most of these knives that get recycled through so we know the grind style, HT, etc. But yes its totally okay to ask, i still do, i also like to ask for a picture like this. straight edge on the right side of the blade face.

IMG_4022.jpg

I find a choil shot alone doesn't give you an idea of what the cross sectional geometry will be like. but a combo with a picture like this does me good.

Back