Quick decision time for 240 gyuto: Wakui V2 or Itto-Ryu White 2??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaladApe

Reaction score
Basically very similar knives, I believe - and also similar to Kochi. General pro kitchen duty.

Meanwhile, a Munetoshi butcher is on its way. Can't wait.

I have seen both Wakuis and Itto-Ryu that were lighter and extremely thin behind the edge and others that were significantly stouter. You really need a reliable seller you can communicate with regarding the details of their current stock. I haven't owned a V2 knife, but on paper I prefer it to Shirogami 2 as I prefer Aogami 2 to Shirogami 2.

Went for the V2 - cheaper shipping and the profile looked better than the Itto-Ryu. The Mune arrived today - amazing. Going to put it to work tomorrow on several kilos of lamb and some venison haunches.

I have seen both Wakuis and Itto-Ryu that were lighter and extremely thin behind the edge and others that were significantly stouter. You really need a reliable seller you can communicate with regarding the details of their current stock. I haven't owned a V2 knife, but on paper I prefer it to Shirogami 2 as I prefer Aogami 2 to Shirogami 2.
This is so true with regards to wakui. Apparently I owned a really really good one that was very very thin.
Treat vendors like the used car salesmen they are and request one to your liking.

Back