Techniques Ramen 101. Toppings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So next we dive into the toppings for ramen. There aren’t really any rules here, you can top it with whatever you want, but there are a few classics.

Even within the realm of chashu there are many different methods and styles. I’ve done all types of pork parts, all types of methods, sous-vide, roast etc etc.

This is for 煮込み チャーシュー, braised chashu. For this method I will be using belly. Skin on is preferable for me but skinless is okay too.

pretty straight forwards really, simple braise. and I forgot to take pictures until the end so bear with me.

1. Make braising liquid. This is good for 1 roll, about 2- 3lbs of belly. Double if you’re doing more
1 cup water
1/2 c soy
1/4 mirin
1/4 sake
5 garlic cloves
1 thumb ginger
3 T brown augar
1/2 T hondashi powder

2. Roll and wrap belly nice and tight. Wish I had taken photos but you will get the idea in the last photo, or just look up pictures, it doesn’t need any fancy knots or clean ties. Ugly is okay as long as it’s tight.

3. Braise low and slow in covered pot on stove for 2-3 hours or until internal temp hits 190. Flip every 30 min to ensure the flavor gets in there. Don’t overdue it here, if the internal temp goes too far beyond this it can get dry.

4. This next part credit to @ramenlord. Pull out chashu and blast in hot oven (450) for 10 min. We’re looking for dark brown.

5. SAVE BRAISING LIQUID! We will use this for other fun stuff.

B904E4AF-EF90-4546-BC1D-199028A48550.jpeg

That’s it! Just make sure to cool it before you unwrap and cut it. Torch to serve if you want, but I like to gently warm it up in a pan on low. I will post some photos of it cut and served later down the road

Last edited:
okay next we will make menma. the bamboo you see in many bowls. lots of different styles here, but I'm pretty much stuck with what type of bamboo i can get. The stuff in the can isn't great, but it will work. I use this dried stuff, it works good enough.

IMG_5250.jpg

1. rinse, boil, soak overnight. using fresh water every step. This stuff is lacto fermented, so it smells like terrible. were trying to re-hydrate and get rid of this stink.

IMG_5258.jpg

2. Add some of your chashu braising liquid. About a cup, and a cup of water. boil for 30 minutes to get that flavor in there.

IMG_5261.jpg

3. Done! cut to serve, or leave it in a long piece.

IMG_5265.jpg

EGGS! basically pretty standard soft boiled egg. We will turn them into ajitama, 味たま. You just soak the egg in a flavored liquid, usually shoyu and mirin and sake. I will re purpose the chashu liquid as a test. I also tried duck eggs as well. interestingly enough the cook time on the duck egg was the same as the chicken egg, even though the duck egg was bigger. perhaps it was the thickness of the shell, or the white to yolk ratio. very similar results.

1. poke hole. this reduce the risk of your egg breaking.

IMG_5253.jpg

2. Boil. Drop eggs into rolling boil. keep it boiling as it cooks for 7 minutes. i like to set them into my ladle as it cooks, at least in the beginning so it doesn't break at the bottom. Shock in ice bath at 7 minute mark.

IMG_5255.jpg

3. marinate. Cut the braising liquid with some water, this will be a solid brick, we need to turn it into a liquid again. Add a splash of extra shoyu, salt, and sugar, since we diluted it. At least overnight, up to 3 days.

IMG_5262.jpg

4. serve cut or whole. outside should be tan. the inside should look like this. Ever so slightly firm on the outer edges of the yolk, white is fully set. The yolk will cure and become very velvety smooth.

IMG_5266.jpg

chicken egg on the left, duck egg on the right.

IMG_5267.jpg

After a few short chats with Danzo I’m in the middle of braising a belly right now. Took liberties with garlic and added a couple dashes of Red Boat fish sauce, it’s in the combi now and will be good for a noodle bowl soon. Starting brunch back this Sunday (regretfully) so why not a little special?

wish I knew how to insert pics better, I’m technologically inept

Attachments

• 47B188E2-FE85-466A-A5C1-F4F60B196780.jpeg
    47B188E2-FE85-466A-A5C1-F4F60B196780.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 7
Half way through the braise, giving it a flip and then back in. Whole front of house rushed back to see what the smell was.

Attachments

• 1A2AB993-CA1D-4BFA-875E-0448A5AFDD05.jpeg
    1A2AB993-CA1D-4BFA-875E-0448A5AFDD05.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 5
And the money shot. Looks less black around the edge in a more yellow light, but it could use more rendering. I will halve and score pre-braise and start skin side down on another one tomorrow since I’m not happy with it but the staff is loving it with a maple gochujang and lime glaze right now.
Recipe is really great and many thanks to Danzo on this one!

Attachments

• C9EBE9DE-4E03-43E3-9C22-BE6185E4CD45.jpeg
    C9EBE9DE-4E03-43E3-9C22-BE6185E4CD45.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 684E072F-C095-4CFA-9F11-84BC8C27DE1E.jpeg
    684E072F-C095-4CFA-9F11-84BC8C27DE1E.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 13
Back