Random pictures of knife sharpening and refinishing we do

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

JBroida

Founding Member
KKF Vendor
Reaction score
I thought i would make a thread for pictures of the kind of sharpening, restoring, refinishing, and just general repair work we are doing here on a daily basis. I usually suck at remembering to take pictures, and almost always forget the "before" pics, but i'll be my best to post what i can when i can....

After rust and pitting removal, refnishing, and sharpening...

After rust removal, restoration, repolishing, and sharpening...

Mirror finishing a knife...

Thinning and refinishing...

Initial sharpening and polishing of a Jin...

Polishing to bring out the hamon...

Before...

And after...

YG420

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful work Jon! Knives look better than new!

lifeis11

Reaction score
Beautiful work Jon! Knives look better than new!
can confirm that sending Jon a knife yields it coming back to you in better-than-new condition. :doublethumbsup:

JBroida

Founding Member
KKF Vendor
Reaction score
i've been on a tear lately, trying to get caught up with work before i leave... here's another one i just did this afternoon.

This was another rusted knife... it had been sitting by an open window at an apartment near the ocean for a bit and had surface rust on one side with minor pitting. We repolished the blade to an almost mirror finish and then hand polished to bring out the damascus pattern.

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Smurfmacaw

Reaction score
I'll vouch for his work though....I had a kitaeji gyuto that had an unfortunate tip incident and after he got through with it, you couldn't tell it had ever had an "incident". Top quality work for a VERY reasonable price.

YG420

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll vouch for his work though....I had a kitaeji gyuto that had an unfortunate tip incident and after he got through with it, you couldn't tell it had ever had an "incident". Top quality work for a VERY reasonable price.
+1 same here!

Framingchisel

Reaction score
Beautiful photography and wonderful work. It is hard to tell from a verbal description how the polished bade should look. These images give me something to work toward.

fimbulvetr

Reaction score
Good frog in freaven. As someone who's trying to teach himself to do half this well through trial, error, and YouTube, I wish like the devil y'all weren't most of a country away.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
Hobbyist Craftsman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do truly amazing work Jon.

Bolek

Reaction score
Jon your work is amazing, and I hope that you are way faster than I am (not difficult as I am slow), but I do not understand how you can make your living out of a such time and labor consuming activity.
It is a plesure to look at you work.

berko

Reaction score
awesome pictures. i would love to see some of your stone collection as well ;)

JBroida

Founding Member
KKF Vendor
Reaction score
another refinished deba.... a big difference in the way the finish looks can be dictated by what is used to apply the the finish. For example, i can use the same uchigumori, but apply it as a finger stone, a powder applied with metal, a powder applied with wood, cork, etc., and get very different results

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
Hobbyist Craftsman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jon, that would be a great subject for a video (different ways to finish a knife) :)

JBroida

Founding Member
KKF Vendor
Reaction score
Here's another one i did today... this Suisin Hayate by Kejiro Doi was a bit rusted and pitted. We cleaned up all of the rust and pitting, restored the mirror finish, and sharpened it.

TheDispossessed

Reaction score
Jon are you using a cooler filter in these photos or is it just the type of light you get through the storefront? Makes the various metals look very nice.

JBroida

Founding Member
KKF Vendor
Reaction score
Jon are you using a cooler filter in these photos or is it just the type of light you get through the storefront? Makes the various metals look very nice.
straight up natural light and my iphone... no filter... just the beautiful california sky in the reflection :)

aboynamedsuita

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep coming back to look… I think I'll have to get in touch regarding some work myself. I'll try to call tomorrow to discuss.

rubby

Banned
Reaction score
Nice work done by. Looks like you are yielding new ones

Latest posts