Rant!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
:rant:

I never let myself run out of bandsaw blades - I learned this lesson the hard way - so when I install my last blade into the machine I order more. This worked OK in the past until 2 weeks ago when I screwed up the last blade I had just installed through a stupid move. Now I was out of blades and needed one real bad.

So being that it was a Thursday afternoon I knew I had to get one over-nighted to me or I'd be without for the weekend. I searched the internet for a company who carried my size and could also get it to me the next day. The only source I found was MSC who is nearly twice as expensive but they offered next day delivery at no charge (some free upgrade thing they do) so I went with this. Late Friday afternoon the UPS man drops off my new blade.

Sat morning comes and I go to install it and guess what? Yeah - it doesn't fit - it's too damn small and ain't going on no matter what!

So I go back to the internet and go with my tried and trusted source that I've been using and order up two blades but I have no next day option with these folks, it's wait and wait and wait. Finally the new blades arrive yesterday afternoon and I rip the box open and go to install a new blade and guess what? Yeah - it doesn't fit - except this time it's too big by a long shot.

Too different vendors, same exact size blade ordered, same manufacturer (Lenox) supplied, one is too small and the other too big.....what are the chances of this?

So here I sit (again) with no damn bandsaw blade going into week #3. :angry1:

mr drinky

Founding Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With your luck, I would suggest not ordering any new pairs of pants or shoes online either. But that sucks. Was it a vendor mistake or manufacturer mistake?

k.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
I guess you have to reorder when you're down to two... :sofa:

SpikeC

Reaction score
Just fire up the jig saw! Or get some aerobic with a hacksaw.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
I guess that I'll have to go down to Sears tomorrow and buy 4 of those crap ass carbon steel blades they stock so that I can keep moving while I wait for decent replacements to show...argh

Blade cost $$ tied up so far - $190

By tomorrow - ???

Marko Tsourkan

Reaction score
I guess that I'll have to go down to Sears tomorrow and buy 4 of those crap ass carbon steel blades they stock so that I can keep moving while I wait for decent replacements to show...argh

Blade cost $$ tied up so far - $190

By tomorrow - ???
Dave,
buy carbide tipped blade next time, Lenox brand. I use these for months on end and I cut everything. I will send you info where I get mine. Carbon blades last me about 20 cuts. Bimetal maybe 50. Carbide tipped - about 4-6 months, but get all the juice out of each. I pay about $75 for 6' blade.

M

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
I've been using the bi-metal Lenox but I'm always willing to upgrade.....of course right now even a sh*t ass carbon blade would be great to have. Yes please Marko send the info.

kalaeb

Banned
Reaction score
Dave, time to get back to your roots. Go for the coping saw and a hacksaw...

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
Oh boy, I chickened out on the carbon tipped ones because I only have small blocks to cut. But I went with the bi-metal. We will see where that takes me. Next time in the shop it's cutting time :)

Stefan

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
Oh boy, I chickened out on the carbon tipped ones because I only have small blocks to cut. But I went with the bi-metal. We will see where that takes me. Next time in the shop it's cutting time :)

Stefan

Make sure they fit before you NEED them....that's all I'm saying here. :D

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
I started this thread on 8/12 - it's 8/29 today and I still don't have a bandsaw blade here!!!!!!!! :bashhead:

I have blades ordered from three different places and I'm still waiting. This is unbelievable!

Delbert Ealy

Founding Member
Reaction score
Dave you know that for all the time and expense so for you could have ordered a metal cutting bandsaw from grizzly and blades to go with it and be up and running now? Sorry to kick you while you are down :D
Del

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
Dave you know that for all the time and expense so for you could have ordered a metal cutting bandsaw from grizzly and blades to go with it and be up and running now? Sorry to kick you while you are down :D
Del

You're right.... :(

SpikeC

Reaction score
Or you could sharpen your old blades.........

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
The woodshop is up & running again! I just got in two bandsaw blades that actually fit my machine. :bliss:

Thanks to all of you who helped me out here. :thumbsup:

Dave

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
Only 2 blades? Time to reorder or you'll be posting in this thread again a week from now!

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
OK I'm back to rant again! :angry1:

Since I received my new blades (after waiting what - 4 weeks) I've killed so many blocks of wood with buckling.

I've tried every trick sent to me as well as changed blades and made adjustments, I've gone slow - I've gone fast and yet every other block I cut in half I watch the scales buckle. It's 75% to the outside but the inside buckles as well.

This woodworking is for the birds - give me steel anyday of the week! :viking:

Marko Tsourkan

Reaction score
OK I'm back to rant again! :angry1:

Since I received my new blades (after waiting what - 4 weeks) I've killed so many blocks of wood with buckling.

I've tried every trick sent to me as well as changed blades and made adjustments, I've gone slow - I've gone fast and yet every other block I cut in half I watch the scales buckle. It's 75% to the outside but the inside buckles as well.

This woodworking is for the birds - give me steel anyday of the week! :viking:
Maybe time to replace your bandsaw with an older US-made one? Delta comes to mind. You can pick one up for a couple of hundred of bucks locally, I bet.

Send me your wood and I will resaw it for you. 50 cuts? No problem. :)

I love my Shopsmith bandsaw with Lenox carbide blade. Smoothest cut ever.

M

SpikeC

Reaction score
Get yerself a nice backsaw and cut them by hand.

Mike

Reaction score
Dave, you may just want to go for a better band saw. Nearly two years ago I had issues much like yours, then I gave up and got a Powematic, problem solved. As far as modern tools go, this saw performs like the old green machines did back in shop class but with much better tracking and a very useful tensionnng system. Mine cuts true and is very simple to adjust both the table and fence. Just my .02

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
I'm so not wanting to hear the get a better saw suggestion but I can't ignore that this would likely solve some (or all) my problems. :(

Marko Tsourkan

Reaction score
Dave,
Rule number one - buy best equipment you can afford.
Rule number two - buy US made equipment, even it it's 20-50 years old, as long as it is in working order and good condition. You won't regret it.

M