• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Raquin 270 gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bico Doce

aka Big Dice / Bocce Ballz / Big Douche
Reaction score
Hey KKF,

I would like to sell my Raquin. I purchased this from a friend so I could have a shot a polishing that beautiful wrought iron cladding. At the time I didn’t realize this would turn into project. Originally this classic gyuto had a strong convex/wh grind but after use I decided to alter the geometry to improve cutting performance, strip the Ku finish which has some brown undertones I didn’t fancy and remove the low spots so I could give it a proper polish.

So countless hours later here I am hoping that someone will enjoy the direction I took this knife. The kasumi certainly isn’t perfect but I’m satisfied with the results.

Asking $800 shipped/insured conus (international DM please)

Thanks for looking and happy thanksgiving!

Description: Raquin Gyuto classic
Size: 270 x 55 mm
Weight: 220 grams
Steel: 145sc/wrought iron
Finish: Ku/stone finished bevel kasumi
Handle: Burnt oak, octagonal
Geometry: Slight asymmetric (right) but not enough to steer
Condition: Purchased from original owner who got this from Bryan in July 2022. Only used for 1 cut test by original owner. I thinned the tip and bevels, raised the shinogi line, eased the shoulders and eiminated low spots, slapped a kasumi on it.
Link: Gyuto 270
Pics:

Good work dude! Out of curiosity, what stones did you use?
Thanks, it much appreciated!

Here’s the stone progression. I tagged the person from whom I purchased the jnats because they have been instrumental in getting me the right stones and how to use them. I kid you not, 3 months ago I couldn’t come close to achieving a kasumi finish (I was that bad 😂).

Debado 180
Debado 320
Chosera 400
Chosera 800
Shapton pro 2k
Numata (similar to aizu) - @naader
Narutaki iromono - @milangravier
Nakayama maruka koppa - @musicman980

Once I got to the polishing phase I started using tap water to bring out some of the wrought detail (as opposed to tap water with baking soda).

Back