Raquin knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me get this right: you first tell me and another poster that we should stop posting about it because we’re both clueless, then chime in yourself with your take on VAT law and now say that neither you nor me should say something about that topic?

Ok. Gotcha!
I will DM you why you are wrong :)

I going to say this publicly - @bryan03 reached out to me about my comments. I apologized to him as I made comments based on things that I didn't verify (how he charges VAT). I know that as someone from Canada, I should not pay it but I honestly didn't verify if he charges it. That's my mistake, and I'm going to make my apology public as well, as my comments above could be taken for bashing him - which is not the case.

Hi
Just a quick note here , France have multiple tax status , mine is very simple.
If you buy a knife from me , you payed the price ht ( without taxes) no vat , anything...
Europe or not it’s the same ....
So no it’s not cheaper if you are in Europe or anywhere else .
If you speak French or if you have some good medicine you can check the article 293 B du CGI French tax code ...

Hi
Just a quick note here , France have multiple tax status , mine is very simple.
If you buy a knife from me , you payed the price ht ( without taxes) no vat , anything...
Europe or not it’s the same ....
So no it’s not cheaper if you are in Europe or anywhere else .
If you speak French or if you have some good medicine you can check the article 293 B du CGI French tax code ...

Thanks for clarifying Bryan and apologies if I said something wrong about this topic!

Your handles are still too long though ;);)

No problem, i always can find something interesting, even in troll .
( you should check the handle seize i have made for the last suji :D )

For people who ask about the edge retention or whatever with this steel, just keep in mind it’s nothing magic, it’s a steel close to shirogami 1... so if you don’t like shiro... you don’t like 145sc.

Wow, thanks for a great lunch read, popcorn not required.

Agree or disagree, & despite that it’s almost derailed by tax talks, it’s one of the quarantine time threads I’ve enjoyed the most reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: dan
BF540A18-F52E-4750-88D2-6795718708E5.jpeg

No problem, i always can find something interesting, even in troll .
( you should check the handle seize i have made for the last suji :D )

For people who ask about the edge retention or whatever with this steel, just keep in mind it’s nothing magic, it’s a steel close to shirogami 1... so if you don’t like shiro... you don’t like 145sc.

And I though SC145 was the magic bullet than can slay dragons and cut onions without magic you cry :p

I've had two Raquins. Sold one because it was a bit long. Kept a KT 225mm. As others have said, they are true performers--at a surprising level.

There are many good decisions by Raquin that go into his knives.
One of his decisions is not to polish his knives. This is not a mark of lack of effort or whatever nonsense. It's just one decision. Another decisions is to forge in a fairly complex compound geometry (shallow forged-S and then some). To do this well is challenging, takes skill to do right (and to coax out the performance attributes), and shows a bunch of other decisions. It's not necessarily easy to see unless you know to look.
OP's posts speak a bit to the old adage: "You don't know what you don't know."

I'm not sure why OP chose Isasmedjan to compare to Raquin. Apples/Oranges. Very different knives. True that both are made by EU makers, but that's about it--very different styles, grinds, etc. Both nice, but for different reasons.
Perhaps a more apt comparison would be Raquin-Catcheside because both do versions of forged geometry. In which case, Raquin is lower priced and hence a deal. In this case, is it the KU finish that kept the price down and hence a bonus? Close to Apples/Apples?

Lastly, some of the comments read as disparaging to Raquin. Perhaps this is intentional, perhaps it's not. I think it's fine to want to learn more about a knife that one hasn't tried yet--I do it on KKF every day! Operative word here is "learn". Judging a knife without having tried it (or accumulated a ton of trusted information) is a different ballgame.

...There are 1,496 other knifemakers that use fancier handles and polish their knives to mirror finish with (presumably) equally good grind and some are at the same price or even cheaper...
This makes the assumption that you've tried or inspected 1,496 different makers knives to reach this conclusion....?

Where's that beating a dead horse emoji......:rolleyes:

A quick compare/contrast of the sentiments between pros vs collectors would be rather illuminating.

This would be interesting to me.
Heavy use at home would still not reach levels of use at home. And I’m certain the value system would be potentially different too.
I doubt either set of values need to conform fully to once or the other view, but would certainly be interesting.

Let me get this right: you first tell me and another poster that we should stop posting about it because we’re both clueless, then chime in yourself with your take on VAT law and now say that neither you nor me should say something about that topic?

Ok. Gotcha!

Sigh. Thought the purpose of forums was to be helpful?

Because it’s the best cutting performance of any knife I’ve ever used now including Kato. My local knifemaker who sells at a similar price level felt up the grind and said, “this guy is good. I can’t do something like this.” Also the 145SC steel afaik Raquin has all of it and is the only one who makes knives with it right now; this by itself doesn’t mean anything but it’s really good steel. Mizuno KS as an example cost just as much and cuts *almost* as well.

Back