• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Razor for beginner

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase or trade for a straight razor. I would love something out of Sheffield for sentimental reasons but am wide open generally. I am sick of bic. Ready to upgrade my routine. I am pretty unaware of the details of razors so I am hoping whomever responds is well intentioned. At this point I am cosmetically disinterested and would very much favor an ugly functional piece over exotic materials or ‘mint’ handle and polish. I would also appreciate any words of warning from members who have learned from missteps when first venturing down this path. I check my PMs.

I have plenty of sharpening supplies.

Thank you in advance KKF

I have a few dozen I'm ready to part with. Cleaned up, shave ready, lots of options for style/size/grind. PM me and we can arrange something

IMG_20200328_122516.jpg

Might want to consider DE safety razor. Short learning curve, cheap blades, great shave. I use feather blades, 35-40 bucks for 100, each lasts 5 or so shaves. Of course with both safety razor and straight you benefit from a good brush and quality soap, but can get good for cheap and they last.

Bought my first one used from Dave Martell a few years back. An old American razor. Every bit as nice as most of the older European blades. My only thought is that one with a bit of height makes it easier to hold a nice angle.

Probably not what you're looking for, but this is what my local barber recommended starting out with several years ago. Not near as cool or glamorous, but I liked it. Saved me the initial investment.

20200329_115408.jpg

20200329_120733.jpg

I definitely have a couple I could let go. When I got started I bought multiple razors but they were all basically same style. Pm, if interested.

I am looking to purchase or trade for a straight razor. I would love something out of Sheffield for sentimental reasons but am wide open generally. I am sick of bic. Ready to upgrade my routine. I am pretty unaware of the details of razors so I am hoping whomever responds is well intentioned. At this point I am cosmetically disinterested and would very much favor an ugly functional piece over exotic materials or ‘mint’ handle and polish. I would also appreciate any words of warning from members who have learned from missteps when first venturing down this path. I check my PMs.

Thank you in advance KKF

if you want to buy new ones i think thiers issard is the brand to go for.
i have a stainless dovo, the other dominant maker today. and mine is good (from 2004). but i have read about 1000 times or so that new dovos can be warped and so on.

i like stainless for razors. stainless dont rust.

I just picked up some on an auction. Wanted some to play with, to learn more. Stainless/German made. 15 arrived and four were junk. I see a few go on auctions all the time and they can go reasonable. Just a thought. I have about 30 bucks a piece into these.

C490AB9F-E1B1-4246-989E-8E78B694714A.jpeg
C3A4D508-1E4A-4437-9CC4-1FE7CAC7F7AB.jpeg
5CD55AE5-ECE1-4B4C-ACF8-55CBB93D644B.jpeg

Last edited:
Although I'm straight-razor-curious, I'd second the double-edged safety razor suggestion. I'm a fairly recent convert and I don't anticipate going back - cheaper (though there are up-front costs), better results, better experience and less waste.

FYI, I picked up a variety pack of blades (100 blades among 15 or so varieties, for something like 15 bucks on Amazon) and it's a good way to try a bunch of stuff to find the razor/blade combo that's right for you. So far, I'm liking Astra SP best. :love:

Although I'm straight-razor-curious, I'd second the double-edged safety razor suggestion. I'm a fairly recent convert and I don't anticipate going back - cheaper (though there are up-front costs), better results, better experience and less waste.

FYI, I picked up a variety pack of blades (100 blades among 15 or so varieties, for something like 15 bucks on Amazon) and it's a good way to try a bunch of stuff to find the razor/blade combo that's right for you. So far, I'm liking Astra SP best. :love:
Sounds like that what I should have done. 15 bucks for a 100 is much better than what I paid.

the biggest advantage with DE or SE/straight razors is that you can adjust the attack angle and therefor depth of cut.
the advantage with mach3 and mach5 and whatever is that they are fast. really fast.

if i could get maybe half a day smooth with braun and philips shavers (their best sh1t)
i could get 1-1,5 days with mach3s going against the grain.
and i get about double that with a straight. for the simple reason that you can angle it so it cuts deeper.

economy?
with shaving machines you have to buy new ones every 2-3 years or so, then the battery dies at the very least. a good one is 150-200 or so.

with DE ones and all replaceable blade ones you need to buy blades.

with mach 3s i can can get 2 good shaves and maybe 2 crappier ones after that. and i get exactly 1 head shave, and you can't do head shaves with dull ones. well you can, but you kinda dont want to.
longest lasting ones are the black mach3, just mach3, all other ones that are newer and "better" like mach3 turbo will last half as long at best. the mach5s are a ploy imo since all cutting and wear takes place on the very first blade only.

with straights and kamisoris you have the razor and then stones then a strop.
strop 60-70 maybe
stones. maybe a shapton pro 2k 50 bux, and then the naniwa SS 12k or shapton 12k. 90-100
then the razor. 100-300 or so.

Buuuut you can keep this set for your entire life. and you will not wear it out. so yes the initial outlay is higher but in the end its the cheapest.

its also fun and satisfying doing things yourself. this alone makes it worth it from the start imo. this is the most important thing of all of them. :)

I think I have this sorted for now. Thank you all for the comments and offers. I ended up jumping in the deep end. I will have some options to figure out what I gravitate towards. I will create a thread once I figure out what I am doing. I am interested to find out how much knife sharpening and handling skills speed up learning the razor stuff.

If you start with a razor - buy a new one!
To start with, I recommend the Faether SS (shavette / replaceable blades) and the PRO-GUARD blade, followed by the PS-20 blade ...
personally I prefer the Japanese version - with a fixed handle (but there is also a classic / folding version)
If you decide that the razor is what you want and want to keep playing, the rest depends only on the budget ;-)

Unless immediately richly - kamisori tomahagane Kiyoshi Kato in Maksym's magazine !!!:)

Thank you in advance KKF
There are a ton of Sheffield straights on eBay right now. Here's one..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333546801863
I got my greaves from an antique shop, so that's another option, although not currently...

Back