Re-hardening a blade

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm back with another basic heat treat question. I've been working on some hamon blades, and from time to time, I'll fail to get a soft spine and thus need to re-do the heat treat. My question is do I need to normalize the already hardened blade before re-hardening the blade? and if so, what kind of normalizing cycles should I run for 26c3 steel? the blade is a flat blank at 65 RHC through out, no forging or grinding at all.

I asked my material science friend, and he's leaning towards not doing any additional process and go straight to austenizing temp and then quench, but I thought I would get a second opinion here.

Thanks!!

no. just re-ht.

the more times you HT the finer the grain will get and at some point it will get counterproductive and you will start losing hardness and toughness. i usually do 2 quenches. because it simply takes 1 to dial **** in and then a real one. i'm working with gas.

that's good to know.

i've been running one or two normalizing cycles in between, so i'm glad i can cut some unnecessary steps out of my process.

Back