Rec for a Good Pair of Scissors

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for an around-the-house pair of scissors -- not cooking shears. Any recommendations for a good all-arounder? Or a good vendor if I want more specialized items later on?

k.

Murray Carter sells white steel scissors that you can take a part and sharpen yourself on stones.
there might be other vendors too.

I'm looking for an around-the-house pair of scissors -- not cooking shears. Any recommendations for a good all-arounder? Or a good vendor if I want more specialized items later on?

k.

For the best cheapest pair of household shears I suggest Kai.

There's other places that sell them besides that site though.

Oh hey while we're talking scissors.....they are like knives in that they don't come very sharp and can be made a whole lot sharper so don't accept those factory edges!

Oh hey while we're talking scissors.....they are like knives in that they don't come very sharp and can be made a whole lot sharper so don't accept those factory edges!

I still haven't ordered mine either. Why don't you just do a group buy for us Dave :D Just order half a dozen of these, sharpen them up, and sell them to us.

5240_L.jpg

Description:
9 1/2" ERGONOMIX® SHEARS

KAI® model 5240 dressmaking style shears with a 4" cutting length

Stefan

I still haven't ordered mine either. Why don't you just do a group buy for us Dave :D Just order half a dozen of these, sharpen them up, and sell them to us.

5240_L.jpg

Description:
9 1/2" ERGONOMIX® SHEARS

Stefan

I think those are the ones I got for Ryan.....his have green handles though. :)

Yep, I copied that from an older thread. Ryan likes them, so I wanted to get a pair for myself and them forgot about them again... They seem nice for XL hands.

Stefan

9 1/2" ERGONOMIX® SHEARS

The shear handles are ergonomically designed to place the hand in correct alignment for ease of cutting and are made of Santoprene®, a soft thermal rubber, that is chemically bonded to the blades to prevent contamination. The handles are also slightly larger than the 5210 for larger and gloved hands.

The blades are made of AU6 Japanese stainless steel with Vanadium giving them a Rockwell of 54 to 58 HRC. The shear blades are held together with a hex nylon-insert locknut that keeps the shears tight to prevent them from loosening up during use.

Recommended uses:
For difficult to cut materials
Food safe for cutting up poultry, meats, and vegetables(FDA approved dyes in handles)
All fabrics, sewing, and trimming operations
Household use (shears are dishwasher safe)
Meets most hobby and craft needs
Gardening and floral arrangements

Typically last 2-3 times longer than other brands of Shears

Does this mean I can ship them directly to you for sharpening? I am going to get the 9.5 ergonomix and also that small airline approved one.

k.

I need a group buy on kitchen shears that have been sharpened. Me me me. +1 vote

I want my scissors customized with a sexy wooden handle.:poke1::whistling::biggrin:

Edit; Would that be considered wa or western? Stefan or Dave?

Now, there's a challenge. I just did some cake servers, but I think I will pass on the scissors ;)

Stefan

I bought my scissors yesterday. I just wanted to imagine Dave's face when he gets a box of scissors and he is trying to grind his own blades.

k.

Dang, I forgot all about those. Looks like Dave will get another box soon...

Stefan

5240_L.jpg

Description:
9 1/2" ERGONOMIX® SHEARS

Stefan

Didn't want to start a new thread with this, but just a quick update: Dave ordered these Kai shears for me and sharpened them before he sent them over. They are not only very comfortable for someone with XL hands, they are clearly also the sharpest shears/scissors (I keep forgetting the difference) I ever had. If you need that one pair of really reliable and sharp scissors around the house these are highly recommended. Probably not the first choice for the kitchen, though, because they do not come apart for cleaning. For that I was happy with the Messermeister kitchen shears, but now Dave spoiled me and I may have to look into alternatives there also. The Messermeisters are my shop shears right now anyway. Oh, I have no idea what the Kai shears cost since they were paid out of our bartering account, maybe Dave can chime in here.

Stefan

i don't know if dave would consider doing a group buy for these scissors but they are BANGIN!!!....plain and simple...ryan

Hey I'm glad to hear that you guys are digging those shears. They're really nothing fancy but are a pretty good bang for the buck upgrade to the normal household scissors.

I also have a pair that Dave sharpened. They are great, and I keep it in a special hidden place so that only I can use them. Otherwise, they end up in the 7-year-olds art drawer.

k.

Back