Recent work

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, a damascus cleaver, great, another idea... Thanks a lot! The cleaver is CPM154, thin straight taper from spine to edge, and a full distal taper front to back, really slight belly.

Yeah you make one and I'll find a buyer for my kidney. That cleaver you're working on sounds like it's just my taste!

I don't want to clutter up and get Pierre's thread even more off topic again, but have a look at the couple of pictures I posted In the "First Japanese knife" thread. B&W Ebony from craig stevens on a Hiromoto AS. They were enormously expensive scales... thank god they fit.

I have seen Caig sell a pair of scales for $248(!), it's just crazy. I am holding back this time because I have tons of great stuff that I had stabilized myself, but I am still using some wood from Craig which I had picked up 2 years ago.

While the last batch of knives were finishing up heat treating, got in some forging, here are a couple pictures from Saturday...
Picture1620.jpg

Picture1619.jpg

Picture1629.jpg

Picture1626.jpg

Picture1623.jpg

Picture1622.jpg

Picture1624.jpg

Picture1631.jpg

Picture1636.jpg

That is so freaking cool. Thanks, Pierre.

Awesome! I love these threads. Thanks Pierre!

I just love these WIP posts. It is so cool to get a glimpse into the process. So much heat, so many wonderfully large and mean looking tools. Exciting to know that so much heat and force and brutality makes such beautiful and delicate blades. Love it!

DarkHOeK

Nice pictures!! That last picture...salt bath or whatever they call it? What does it do?

Last picture is vermeculite. Once done forging and normalizing, it allows the billet to cool slowly, keeping it in an annealed state.

Nice

Im impressed how well fit you look. You been working out?
Cant wait to see the end result :)

Very cool pictures of the forging process! I want to see what came out of the forge that day! :hungry::thumbsup:

Here are the latest etched, and next to be completed.
300mm Sujihiki
Picture1696.jpg

Damasteel petty and parer
Picture1699.jpg

Picture1701.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Bear

Those look great Pierre. Nice work! With Damasteel are you able to manipulate the patterns at all or is that the way it is made at the manufacture. This round looks completly different than the last round. Very good looking regardless.

That suji is a very nice blade, Pierre. Love the pattern as well. Looking forward to seeing the finshed knife with handle and all.

DarKHOeK

So excited! Should that suji look familiar to me? :drool::happy1:

Tristan, yes it should!

Kaleb, no, unless you try to forge from the round bar to a blade shape. The bar you buy, is essentially, you get what you get.

Thanks Harald, I appreciate it!

Pierre, I'm jonesing for some new knife pics, and I bet everyone else is too! You must have something you can show off! :bladesmith:

Just back in the door from a week in Vancouver, BC., will have a few pieces shortly...

What they don't have grinders in Vancouver? :sofa:
Just kidding!!

Well guys, I hate to brag...not really...but I just got this teaser pic from my good friend Pierre. I thought I'd post it to make you all hate me ;)
Just a couple tiny tweaks and a handle and I should be cutting blissfully to Zac Brown Band and Jack Johnson tunes (don't judge).
Here is what we have so far:
6370e04b.jpg

I hope you like it!

Nice! Unique shape. Reminds me of a Kono with a kiritsuke tip. How big? Steel?

I don't know the exact measurements, but it should be about 175mm in length, with a full distal taper. 40-42mm tall. Thin behind the edge, with about 65-70mm of pure flat at the back.
S35VN, so it can take some pounding. Turns out I can be rough on my knives sometimes (I also don't want my wife to be afraid to use it).

175mm on the nut. From heel to tip. This is some abrasion resistant steel! Wow!

Back