Main plate Recipe request - Pulled Pork + BBQ

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhoff

Reaction score
Dear all,

I love pulled pork but would like a recipe especially for the BBQ sauce!

Keep in mind I'm a home cook, and quite terrible at most stuff. I quite often fail to boil potatoes correctly... on the other hande I can make a mean pizza from scratch.

All the best,
Daniel

https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/virginia-willis-pulled-pork/#comment-356980

If you don't have a smoker, you can cook in the oven at the same temp. Obviously, DON'T ADD THE WOOD CHIPS if cooking indoors. Most grocery stores in the US carry liquid smoke, not sure about Denmark. A little goes a long way. Probably no more than a teaspoon.

Also, if you have a pressure cooker, they are great for making pulled pork in a hurry. Plenty of recipes online for Instant Pot pulled pork.
Good luck!

Ken

Here’s one that I’ve been using for years. The original recipe is a much larger “restaurant” scale, but I’ve tried to shrink it down a bit for you here:

For the Pork:

• 5# Boneless Pork Shoulder or Butt
• 3Tbs Curry Powder
• 3Tbs Smoked Paprika
• 2Tbs Cayenne
• 3Tbs Dried Oregano
• 3Tbs Garlic Powder
• 3Tbs Onion Powder
• 3Tbs Ground Cumin
• 2Tbs Ground Black Peppercorn
• 4Tbs Kosher Salt

Braising Liquids:

• 1qt Orange Juice
• 1qt Chicken Stock
• 2 cups Catsup
• 2Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
• 2Tbs Soy Sauce
• Remainder of above splice blend left unused
• Water as needed

For the Pork

Preheat BBQ Grill to Max Temp, and Oven to 225F.

Cut the Pork Shoulder into 4 somewhat even pieces.

Mix all spice ingredients together to make a “spice rub”. This rub is delicious on may things grilled/bbq’d. Even great on potatoes of all nature, fried to roasted

Coat Pork entirely with Spice Rub, using a baking pan to catch excess. Reserve excess.

If using an outdoor grill, place pork on grill and char all sides to look “burnt”. Watch out for flare ups.

If Grill is not an option, pan sear in large skillet in a well ventilated kitchen.

Once Pork has been properly charred, place pork in a roasting pan with enough room for braising liquids

For the Braising Liquid

In a large mixing bowl, add catsup and left over spice rub seasoning. Mix well.

Add remaining ingredients and mix well.

Pour Braising Liquid into pan with Pork. Liquid should almost cover Pork. If more liquid is needed, just add water.

Cover Pan with Foil and place in oven.

Cook for 3 Hours or until Pork is “Fork Tender”

Cool Pork in liquid until easy to touch.

Remove Pork and Shred

Strain Braising Liquid into a large enough pot and reduce over medium heat until Liquid is starting to thicken up.

Stir in Shredded Pork and continue to cook until a thick BBQ Pork consistency is met.

Alternatively, use a Crock Pot and follow manufacture’sinstructions

*I’ve tried adding a splash of liquid smoke to this a couple times. It’s not terrible at all, but gives you a sweetish bbq chip like flavor

If you like Mexican cuisine you can use pulled pork to make simple burrito. The sauce is simple and delicious:

- Season with salt and pepper 6 halved medium tomatoes with 1 thickly sliced red/crimson onion and broil them with 8 cloves of garlic in their skin until starting to blacken, around 8 minutes.
- Peel garlic and add all above to a high bowl together with 1 Tbsp dried chili paste (Italian chili paste works too, but is usually hotter), 1 tsp ground chili, 1 Tbsp brown sugar and juice of 1 lime.
- Season with salt and pepper and blend it using a hand blender.
Assemble:
- Put some pork in a warmed tortilla
- add sauce
- cover with thinly sliced red/crimson onion mixed with lime juice, dried oregano, salt and pepper (prepare that before the sauce, 1 onion is enough for 0.5 kg meat)
- Add roughly chopped fresh coriander, fold over tortilla ends and roll up to seal. Secure by wrapping with foil if you want. Voila!

I’ve seasoned pork butts with taco seasoning with great results. The main thing is just cook it until 205° internal. Pork is incredibly forgiving, ya just about can’t screw it up.

Pork is incredibly forgiving, ya just about can’t screw it up.
Right. It's also quite flavour-neutral and meshes well with almost anything you serve it with, from savoury, to spicy, to sweet. It all works.

Can you imagine beef with apple sauce? I can't. Or at least, I'm trying to avoid imagining it :)

Right. It's also quite flavour-neutral and meshes well with almost anything you serve it with, from savoury, to spicy, to sweet. It all works.

Can you imagine beef with apple sauce? I can't. Or at least, I'm trying to avoid imagining it :)
Thanks! Now I have to try to get that image out of my head all day. If you have ever been to Disney World, remember the "It's a Small World" ride? Sticks with you like dog poop on a shoe!

Do you know what regions bbq sauce you prefer? Vinegar base, tomato Vin base, Mustard base, sugary tomato syrup that most of the stores carry...
If you're feeling daunted and just want a simple sauce recipe, try this:
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup Lee & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp mustard (I use spicy brown)
1/2 tsp liq. Smoke, or to taste
And I agree with Marc, if you're braising, the Orange juice adds a nice touch

Somehow the thread got unwatched, so all these wonderful replies went over my head. Thank you everyone.

Do you know what regions bbq sauce you prefer? Vinegar base, tomato Vin base, Mustard base, sugary tomato syrup that most of the stores carry...
If you're feeling daunted and just want a simple sauce recipe, try this:
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup Lee & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp mustard (I use spicy brown)
1/2 tsp liq. Smoke, or to taste
And I agree with Marc, if you're braising, the Orange juice adds a nice touch

I do not know the region bbq I prefer. I like when things are sweet and sour at the same time, and I love a bit of spice warming the mouth without burning my taste buds to a crisp.

There is a ton of info on amazingribs.com. Both sauces and rubs are available:

Sauces - https://amazingribs.com/searchresults/pork bbq sauce

Rubs - https://amazingribs.com/searchresults/pork rub

Meathead's Memphis Dust is the favorite rub for a lot of people on the site - including me.

Thank you mate, I'll look into that :)

I’ve seasoned pork butts with taco seasoning with great results. The main thing is just cook it until 205° internal. Pork is incredibly forgiving, ya just about can’t screw it up.

You will be amazed at what I can do wrong :) My worst dish was horseradish shredded and fried on a pan. I read somewhere a bit of vinegar could help mellow the taste. I was out of vinegar and thought "Hey maybe something slightly acidic and sweet".... I used the juice from a fresh orange. Spoiler alert. It tasted like and had the consistency of vomit. As Kip said, it could maybe be used for forced patina xD

If you like Mexican cuisine you can use pulled pork to make simple burrito. The sauce is simple and delicious:

- Season with salt and pepper 6 halved medium tomatoes with 1 thickly sliced red/crimson onion and broil them with 8 cloves of garlic in their skin until starting to blacken, around 8 minutes.
- Peel garlic and add all above to a high bowl together with 1 Tbsp dried chili paste (Italian chili paste works too, but is usually hotter), 1 tsp ground chili, 1 Tbsp brown sugar and juice of 1 lime.
- Season with salt and pepper and blend it using a hand blender.
Assemble:
- Put some pork in a warmed tortilla
- add sauce
- cover with thinly sliced red/crimson onion mixed with lime juice, dried oregano, salt and pepper (prepare that before the sauce, 1 onion is enough for 0.5 kg meat)
- Add roughly chopped fresh coriander, fold over tortilla ends and roll up to seal. Secure by wrapping with foil if you want. Voila!

I really like the simplicity, Hope to get a chance to give all these recipes a spin soon :)

Here’s one that I’ve been using for years. The original recipe is a much larger “restaurant” scale, but I’ve tried to shrink it down a bit for you here:

For the Pork:

• 5# Boneless Pork Shoulder or Butt
• 3Tbs Curry Powder
• 3Tbs Smoked Paprika
• 2Tbs Cayenne
• 3Tbs Dried Oregano
• 3Tbs Garlic Powder
• 3Tbs Onion Powder
• 3Tbs Ground Cumin
• 2Tbs Ground Black Peppercorn
• 4Tbs Kosher Salt

Braising Liquids:

• 1qt Orange Juice
• 1qt Chicken Stock
• 2 cups Catsup
• 2Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
• 2Tbs Soy Sauce
• Remainder of above splice blend left unused
• Water as needed

For the Pork

Preheat BBQ Grill to Max Temp, and Oven to 225F.

Cut the Pork Shoulder into 4 somewhat even pieces.

Mix all spice ingredients together to make a “spice rub”. This rub is delicious on may things grilled/bbq’d. Even great on potatoes of all nature, fried to roasted

Coat Pork entirely with Spice Rub, using a baking pan to catch excess. Reserve excess.

If using an outdoor grill, place pork on grill and char all sides to look “burnt”. Watch out for flare ups.

If Grill is not an option, pan sear in large skillet in a well ventilated kitchen.

Once Pork has been properly charred, place pork in a roasting pan with enough room for braising liquids

For the Braising Liquid

In a large mixing bowl, add catsup and left over spice rub seasoning. Mix well.

Add remaining ingredients and mix well.

Pour Braising Liquid into pan with Pork. Liquid should almost cover Pork. If more liquid is needed, just add water.

Cover Pan with Foil and place in oven.

Cook for 3 Hours or until Pork is “Fork Tender”

Cool Pork in liquid until easy to touch.

Remove Pork and Shred

Strain Braising Liquid into a large enough pot and reduce over medium heat until Liquid is starting to thicken up.

Stir in Shredded Pork and continue to cook until a thick BBQ Pork consistency is met.

Alternatively, use a Crock Pot and follow manufacture’sinstructions

*I’ve tried adding a splash of liquid smoke to this a couple times. It’s not terrible at all, but gives you a sweetish bbq chip like flavor

Thanks for the detailed response, it helps me immensely. I'm a biologist of background with focus on labwork and I prefer things as precise as possible :) it increases the odds of things working out for me.

Virginia Willis Pulled Pork - Big Green Egg

If you don't have a smoker, you can cook in the oven at the same temp. Obviously, DON'T ADD THE WOOD CHIPS if cooking indoors. Most grocery stores in the US carry liquid smoke, not sure about Denmark. A little goes a long way. Probably no more than a teaspoon.

Also, if you have a pressure cooker, they are great for making pulled pork in a hurry. Plenty of recipes online for Instant Pot pulled pork.
Good luck!

Ken

Never seen liquid smoke in stores, but haven't known to look, Maybe it exists :) No smoker unfortunately.

Once again thank you everyone, sorry for the radio-silence it was not voluntary

Somehow the thread got unwatched, so all these wonderful replies went over my head. Thank you everyone.

I do not know the region bbq I prefer. I like when things are sweet and sour at the same time, and I love a bit of spice warming the mouth without burning my taste buds to a crisp.

Thank you mate, I'll look into that :)

You will be amazed at what I can do wrong :) My worst dish was horseradish shredded and fried on a pan. I read somewhere a bit of vinegar could help mellow the taste. I was out of vinegar and thought "Hey maybe something slightly acidic and sweet".... I used the juice from a fresh orange. Spoiler alert. It tasted like and had the consistency of vomit. As Kip said, it could maybe be used for forced patina xD

I really like the simplicity, Hope to get a chance to give all these recipes a spin soon :)

Thanks for the detailed response, it helps me immensely. I'm a biologist of background with focus on labwork and I prefer things as precise as possible :) it increases the odds of things working out for me.

Never seen liquid smoke in stores, but haven't known to look, Maybe it exists :) No smoker unfortunately.

Once again thank you everyone, sorry for the radio-silence it was not voluntary

It's usually available. Try something like Smart and Final if you are having bad luck. Or Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Wrights-Natural-Hickory-Seasoning-Liquid/dp/B0023V2EWG/

IMG_4422.jpg

Smoking pork shoulders is something I do several times a year, smoke 3, eat one, freeze 2 for later. I like brineing the pork before smoking, brine for 12 to 24 hours, remove fat cap from shoulder before brineing.
Brine:

8 ounces or 3/4 cup molasses

12 ounces pickling salt

2 quarts bottled water

6 to 8 pound Boston butt
Place in a large ziplock, remove air and refrigerate.

After brineing place your rub of choice (Memphis for me), cover in plastic wrap and let sit 12-24 hours.
Smoke at 225-250 to internal of 200 degrees, usually about 12 hours or so. I use multiple temp probes as some cuts finish faster than others.
I like whole chunks of Pecan in my lump charcoal for butts.
Remove, foil and place in the oven , or a cooler for a couple of hours

Back