Recipe sub-forum?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Michi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a lot of pictures of amazing dishes in the "What's cooking?" thread. And there are recipes interspersed in there. Which are very hard to find later.

I really would appreciate having a dedicated sub-forum for recipes. I think it would make a worthwhile addition to the site.

Let's face it: kitchen knives don't exist in a vacuum; we have them so we can cook stuff, no? ;)

Michi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure why a dedicated Forum is necessary...just start a favorite recipe thread.
Yes, but we'd end up with hundreds of recipes in a single thread, making it hard to find them. That's my problem with the current "What's cooking?" thread: there are hundreds of posts, and the recipes are far and few between. It would work a lot better with a sub-forum with threads such as "crispy skin pork belly" or "chicken liver paté".

Last edited:

jimmy_d

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but we'd end up with hundreds of recipes in a single thread, making it hard to find them. That's my problem with current "What's cooking?" thread: there are hundreds of posts, and the recipes are far and few between. It would work a lot better with a sub-forum with threads such as "crispy skin pork belly" or "chicken liver paté".
I like the idea - easier to navigate. It would be fun to see the recipes behind what everyone's cooking!

HRC_64

Reaction score
I would be terrified to write out precise recipes for all of you guys to follow.
often time just the ingredient lists still can demonstrate how flavours/dishes are composed or put together
although I'd also understand if people didn't always want to go thru the hassle

Angie

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
How would you see it work? And are any others interested?

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator
Founding Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea.

'course much of it will be in pro kitchen quantities. "Chop 37 quarts of onions and saute in 14 lbs of butter..."

LostHighway

Reaction score
I definitely would be interested, especially if it was organized in a way to make recipes easy to find (the search function is not without limitations).

Kgp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it would be great! In order to keep it easier to find things, maybe subgroups for different recipe types: soups, sauces, beef, pork, desserts, etc.
Ken

ThatGreenBronco

Reaction score
Love the idea, kinda can't believe there isn't one already.

Being that I'm in my first week owning a Japanese knife I'd like to sort it by the most chopping & slicing possible ;)

Nagakin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 and bonus points to recipes that give reason to undust an usuba...

rickbern

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d love to have a thread in there for menus. Honestly, I can find any recipe I need but I’m endlessly curious how people put menus together. Here’s tonight’s for 16, this is what I have in mind:

Apps
Tuna pate
Sardines with Mustard & gherkin
Focaccia if I have time

Pasta
Buccatini with NeoNata and Mussels

Main
Roast Salmon with Salsa Verde
Chana Dal
Brussels sprouts with Oyster sauce
Boiled Potato

Dessert
Cookies

By the way, there’s seven fish in here

Last edited:

MowgFace

Reaction score
I love this idea. I agree you can find them the old fashioned way, but it can be clunky at times remembering where things are.

-Mowgs

Michi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would you see it work?
Well, one thread per recipe, preferably with the recipe name in the title.

To keep things organised, rather than lots of sub-sub-forums, maybe we could use tags? We could create a whole bunch, such as "Desert", "Beef", "Appetizer", "Japanese", etc. (I believe the tags can be used in a search, yes?)

rob

Reaction score
I think this is a great idea. As Michi has suggested would work.

To have a couple of photos added would also be a bonus.

erickso1

Reaction score
I think this is a great idea. As Michi has suggested would work.

To have a couple of photos added would also be a bonus.
I think it would be fascinating to have the OG recipe with a couple photos, followed by photos and notes by others. Kind of a running evolution type of thing.

Angie

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
So far some questions have come up:
1. What about anything copyrighted? Do the do that with recipes?
2. So tags for various types of dishes.
3. Would you want to be allowed to ask questions from the originator of the recipe?
4. How brutal would the members be if a recipe was general instead of ocd detailed?

Kgp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
3. Would you want to be allowed to ask questions from the originator of the recipe?
4. How brutal would the members be if a recipe was general instead of ocd detailed?
Here is how they do it on Big Green Egg forum.
https://eggheadforum.com/categories/cookbook

HRC_64

Reaction score
My guess is that there will be various levels of specifics that will still be OK and avoid issues like #1 and #4. Folka could ask questions (eg #3) in normal thread/discussion format could probably work OK. Not sure about #2 maybe other people have comments on it. The people contributing to the other (food) threads have been great contributors IMHO with lots of content, seems like a good mix of original ideas and trying out others ideas. Maybe folks can just run a "simple version" trial and see if any of those issues become stumbling blocks in practice?

SeattleBen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Copyrighting recipes is prohibitively difficult. Change .25g of an ingredient and it’s different. There’sa few places that sort of try but I’ve never heard of them going after home user enthusiasts for trying to replicate them.

Dhoff

Reaction score
I love this idea. I'd personally love one thread per recepe and being able to ask questions. If things turn ugly ppl are ungrateful and the experiment closed imo.

childermass

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great Idea!

I too think that copyright isn‘t an issue in this case.
Tags for dish type would be great and would really help with browsing and searching.
I would like to be able to ask questions, sometimes things need clarification, especially for those not accustomed to certain dishes.
Level of detail should be up to the OP, maybe there are cases with only a bunch of ingredients with now rigid recipe behind it but more a general idea how to combine them.

Michi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Copyright isn't really an issue here:

https://paleoflourish.com/recipe-copyright/

TL;DR: Lists and amounts of ingredients are statements of fact, and method of preparation is a procedure or process; neither can be copyrighted.

I think tags would work (assuming that people actually bother to use them). The advantage of tags is that we can always add new ones and add them to existing recipes without having to move articles around. (I don't know to what extent the forum software permits editing of tags though.)

Of course people would be allowed to ask questions. This is a discussion forum here, yes? ;)

We all know that most members here are brutal and evil anyway; I'm not in the least worried about them being like this in a recipe sub-forum, too :)

Last edited:

rickbern

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted a recipe in What's cooking to give an idea of how we could potentially credit the original source. I think it's great to see where people find this stuff.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/recipe-zha-jiang-mian.45154/

And seconded, Michi for Moderator!

ps-edit. I like the spirit of this section from Michi's post on recipe copyright

"But Ethically, How Should You Use Other People’s Recipes?
I can’t really tell you what’s right and wrong, but my answer is attribution, attribution, attribution!

Most chefs generally love to see other people making their recipes, but they hate it when someone else takes credit for those creations! So, if you came up with your recipe after looking at someone else’s recipe, then just give them a shout-out and a link if possible!"​

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
Hobbyist Craftsman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One should distinguish between IP that can be patented and copyright. While we certainly do not have an IP problem here, a Copyright would then become an issue if people would start to post photos of pages from cookbooks.

Latest posts