Recipe sub-forum?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

M1k3

Reaction score
Posting pages would be just be lazy.

Dhoff

Reaction score
And not really the spirit, at least not the one I imagined. Recipes that are experimental, or just plain good, maybe even some that sound... really far fetched but tasting well!

Angie

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
Well, one thread per recipe, preferably with the recipe name in the title.

To keep things organised, rather than lots of sub-sub-forums, maybe we could use tags? We could create a whole bunch, such as "Desert", "Beef", "Appetizer", "Japanese", etc. (I believe the tags can be used in a search, yes?)
Give me a list of prefixes. Don't go overboard. Can you do it in 6 or 8? or less?

madelinez

Catcheside Fanatic
Reaction score
Vegan, Baking, BBQ would all be good. I don't want to say 'Asian' or 'European' because that's too general but we won't have enough tags for all of the major cuisines (Japanese, the many regions of china, Korean, Italian, German etc)

madelinez

Catcheside Fanatic
Reaction score
Also it would be cool if the recipes could get rated after a certain amount of time. Maybe users post 'yay' or 'nay' in the threads and after 2 weeks Michi updates the thread title with the % (pending Michi's acceptance of this task :D). I volunteer myself as sacrifice if he needs a hand.

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
Eff the vegans. All the vegans. Esp the three that showed up with no prior notice to last weeks wedding. And the two that wanted to try the vegan after they saw the others. And the two on the vendors list with no notice.

:cool::cool::cool:

Michi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are multiple axis along which tags could be used. For example:

By course: Appetizer, desert, main course, side dish, drink, etc.
By cuisine: Japanese, German, Nouvelle, Chinese, etc.
By technique: BBQ, soup, salad, low and slow, baking, deep frying, wok cooking, etc.
By ingredient: Meat, seafood, segetarian, bread, drinks, etc.

Of those, I think by ingredient and/or by technique would be most useful. But I suspect that half a dozen tags won't quite do the trick. It would more like 10-20 tags.

The tag idea works only if people use it and if it's easy to filter search results by tag. If this is not the case, then the tags are pretty much useless, and I would drop that idea altogether. @Angie Do tags make sense here? Assuming that they work for searching/filtering, how hard would it be to add new tags and add tags to a post after the fact?

Michi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe users post 'yay' or 'nay' in the threads and after 2 weeks Michi updates the thread title with the % (pending Michi's acceptance of this task :D). I volunteer myself as sacrifice if he needs a hand.
Hmmm… I do not recall volunteering as a mod, exactly ;)

If we need a dedicated mod for this, I'm happy to help out, but really would appreciate one or two others at least to help with this. More head scratching for the admins coming up… :)

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
Hobbyist Craftsman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we are going to have a 6-8 tags, than one cannot seriously consider to make one of them ‘German’ :confused::D

Seriously - the ‘ingredient’ approach sounds probably best to me

M1k3

Reaction score
I'd say course and/or region (more likely continent) would be best while under control.

minibatataman

Reaction score
If we are going to have a 6-8 tags, than one cannot seriously consider to make one of them ‘German’ :confused::D

Seriously - the ‘ingredient’ approach sounds probably best to me
Haha, definitely not German, but maybe just regional? Like @M1k3 said.
Maybe Asian, middle eastern, Latin/south American, and maybe because of how prevalent they are, french and Italian (and maybe Japanese as well) get their own sub categories

Ochazuke

Reaction score
I like the train of thought of kind of grouping by courses. No matter what we choose there are going to be some cuisines or dishes that won’t fit neatly in to our categories.

But for example: instead of calling two categories appetizer and entree, it makes mores sense to me to call them large plates and small plates. If one were to throw out some classic izakaya dishes, the moniker “small plates” would work well, but I wouldn’t necessarily put all of them in “appetizer” category. But almost all appetizer could fit in a “small plates” category (and still be clear enough that people won’t get confused).

CoteRotie

Reaction score
I'm in, great idea. I don't cook with recipes for the most part, I just add ingredients based on feel, but I could probably contribute some approximate recipes.

Dhoff

Reaction score
Would be happy to mod the thread with Michi if need be. I'm reading the forum 20 times a day anyways xD

rickbern

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eff the vegans. All the vegans. Esp the three that showed up with no prior notice to last weeks wedding. And the two that wanted to try the vegan after they saw the others. And the two on the vendors list with no notice.

:cool::cool::cool:
CWA

Catererz with Attitude

rickbern

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the tags are always going to be troublesome.

I posted a recipe for Beijing Fried Sauce Noodles. To me that's a first course, but to someone else it's a main course. The recipe I started with is most definitely based on meat, but then I made a smashing variant on it without any meat at all. It's a Chinese or Asian Recipe, but what do I do if I want to post a recipe for Georgian Vegetable Pate? (pkhali, fabulous stuff!)

Tags make sense in BST, there's four clearly defined categories. But a worldwide conglomeration of knife nerds, all with differing attitudes about food? I think it's unworkable. I think we're better off just describing what it is in the title. After 6 months of experience, we can always revisit it.

Last edited:

Angie

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
I'm reading these posts and formulating thoughts.
But, the mod team is good with this and at this time, no new mods but thanks for offering.

Michi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I was over-thinking it and the tags are not necessary. We could just start out with an ordinary sub-forum and, if we decide later that it's getting too hard to find things, still resurrect the tag idea.

TBH, the easy solution really is to use Google. It does a better job at indexing and searching than the built-in search function of the forum…

minibatataman

Reaction score
Another point to add is; would a whole subforum for recipes add anything we don't already have with the what's cooking thread on the food and gear subforum? I mean that's the point of that one more or less no?

HRC_64

Reaction score
Another point to add is; would a whole subforum for recipes add anything we don't already have with the what's cooking thread on the food and gear subforum? I mean that's the point of that one more or less no?
The what's cooking thread is doing great the way it is, I think the idea with a recipe sub-forum is to avoid messing with it. Right now people just show the finished output, but for a variety of reasons don't detail a recipe for each dish. That's fine to not fix what isn't broken.

Starting a new forum would allow people to detail recipes without any clutter being added or distraction into the other thread. Also, it would avoid creating the impression that in order to share a "whats cooking" dish you need to feel obligated to detail the recipe. I'm sure others can add more comments but those were just some issues that came to mind.

rickbern

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think minibatataman is on to something here. Instead of a whole new forum to check in on, why not introduce some tags in what’s cooking?

I’m thinking:

Recipes
Equipment
Books
Menus
General

That way we don’t introduce any new hierarchy and we can just start posting recipes. If it bothers anyone you can just filter it out.

The existing long thread could go in general

Dhoff

Reaction score
I personally agree with dont fix whats not broken statement...

Brian Weekley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Paprika as my recipe manager and love it. At last count I have 581 recipe’s. Here’s three pics of the categories (tags) I use.

BC3FF61F-FEC0-4FFA-97C6-43721B677AD4.png
C1764034-6667-4BBA-BCB2-DA89F7E6FC48.png
EB74BD74-54A8-4396-9BB9-BAE344B7FBD7.png

I think a Recipe forum is a great idea. If I might make a humble suggestion and that is to add “Techniques” to the forum. I have several killer recipes that I’d love to add to the forum including my “World famous” Bunker Blaster BBQ sauce. Yum ...

rickbern

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, plus one on paprika; best thing since absolutely ultimate potato soup!

The difference is that paprika will let you assign multiple categories to a recipe. I think the forum software only lets you assign one.

I like a technique tag. That could be interesting

minibatataman

Reaction score
I think minibatataman is on to something here. Instead of a whole new forum to check in on, why not introduce some tags in what’s cooking?

I’m thinking:

Recipes
Equipment
Books
Menus
General

That way we don’t introduce any new hierarchy and we can just start posting recipes. If it bothers anyone you can just filter it out.

The existing long thread could go in general
Yes exactly. I was about to reply with basically that after my shift ends. I'm not against another subforum and if the majority wants that then why not
But it might be easier to just have a recipe thread in the existing cooking sub forum, it seems more organized that way

madelinez

Catcheside Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes exactly. I was about to reply with basically that after my shift ends. I'm not against another subforum and if the majority wants that then why not
But it might be easier to just have a recipe thread in the existing cooking sub forum, it seems more organized that way
Honestly it would be too hard to find things if it gets used a lot.

Latest posts