Recipe-Zha Jiang Mian

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been two discussions going on, one about Ragu and one about a recipe forum. Thought I'd take a stab at combining the two.

I've been a devotee of Bolognese style ragu for a long time, but recently, I've been throwing tomatoes under the bus in favor of a Beijing style of meat sauce, Zha Jiang Mian.

The recipe I've been using is from Woks of Life. I will post only the link to respect copyright rules:

https://thewoksoflife.com/beijing-fried-sauce-noodles-zha-jiang-mian/

I've been following the recipe pretty faithfully except I'm using dried porcini in addition to shitakes and serving it on top of fresh tagliatelle instead of Chinese noodles.

I've been using these two sauces in about the proportion they call for.
sauces.jpg

My Chinese friends seem to think this is a pretty complicated dish, and I don't understand why.

Couple of questions...

What are the traditional kind of noodles to use?
Any more topping ideas?
Do all recipes have to use the two separate bean sauces or is this specific to the one I happened across.

Last edited:
Had some non meat eaters tonight, started the recipe after the step where you sauté the pork, in effect it’s a mushroom Ragu with bean sauce instead of tomato sauce. Served it on a dry pasta called vesuvio, looks like little turbans. It was a damn fine vegan pasta

The classic za jiang myun has no black bean paste. Just the fermented sweet sauce and shaoxing wine. Toppings include soy beans, cucumber sticks, carrot sticks, celery sticks, bean sprouts.

I know those woksoflife people are Cantonese. I’ll try it with just the one sauce. As you may have picked up, all recipes in my kitchen are open to interpretation. What I do to bolognese would make an Italian chef furious!

I will post only the link to respect copyright rules
Thanks for the recipe!

As far as copyright is concerned, a recipe does not get copyright protection, because it is a method/procedure. What is protected by copyright are the words and images on the Woks Of Life site.

You can't just take the contents of the web page and paste them here. But the recipe and instructions for it are fine. (You might be treading a slightly fine line if copying the instructions verbatim. But there are only so many ways to say "beat three eggs until combined and add ¼ tsp of salt", so you get a fair bit of lenience there.)

Back