Recommend me a 180 mm petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I realized I don't have enough petties, nor a petty I really like in any size. After searching the forum, I found some common themes for 150 mm suggestions, but not so many recommendations for 180 mm petties, so... what should I get? I want a "pointy" sujihiki-like petty rather than a mini-gyuto. I prefer carbon, probably something pretty thin, at least at tip and edge... thinking of using it especially for trimming meat and maybe some larger fruits/vegetables. I generally prefer knives that are more towards the hand-made end, less excited about stamped blades, but open to anything really.

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
180 mm petty/sujihiki

Are you right or left handed?
right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
180 mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Any but nothing crazy

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Trimming meat, some fruit/vegetable

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
None

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Probably thin, at least at tip and edge. Not flexible, or not much.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Not a critical factor... retention is always nice, but easy to sharpen is nicer.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood end-grain and Hasegawa

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I've seen Ashi Ginga and Mazaki recommended... open to these or others. Let me know your favorites and why. Thanks!

I own the hd2 180 which should be similar to ashi. its a good petty, height on the shorter side and its fairly light. i enjoy the low reactive steel but its a bit too light for my taste.
i had a mazaki and its a nice knife but the migaki is very reactive, something to consider in acidic environment.

i would consider getting a custom petty from western makers. marko and kipp 52100 pettys are far better than any of the above and also cost as twice more. never tried markin but seems like he makes great knives for affordable pricing.

The real master is @daveb. If budget isn't a big deal and you can catch him on the right day Marko is definitely the way to go. I love my maz 180s but they're a little more mini gyuto than mini suji ime. It kinda seems like the op is describing a knife in the Ashi/hd2 vein except for the fact that these are stamped, but for the tasks described they can't be beat.

I looked for a 180 petty for quite a while. I was very interested in the Kono SKD at Tosho, but it's been out of stock for as long as I've been looking (and it's quite a bit of money for a petty).

Ended up with the 180 hd2. It fits what you're describing, with the significant exception of your preference regarding hand-made vs stamped.

Last edited:
Ooh, 180 suji/petty. Very much in my wheelhouse, though Dave is the real expert.

The 180 suji from TF is hard to beat. I ordered mine direct. There's a Watanabe in my knife drawer that is a co-favorite, that I got from the BST, but I don't think there's anything comparable on offer at present.

The real master is @daveb
It kinda seems like the op is describing a knife in the Ashi/hd2 vein except for the fact that these are stamped, but for the tasks described they can't be beat.

That’s a fair summary. From a practical standpoint I am very temped by the Ginga or HD2, but I feel like they are a little boring. Probably I’d go with Ginga among the two just because I’ve never used one (had an HD2 gyuto briefly).

I have a Moritaka 180 ishume suji in Aogami 2 that fits your description. It was from the “Garage Sale” at Knifewear so I’m not sure if it’s available normally.

I've Marko and Wat pettys (petties?) and like both a lot. The Wat is pretty available and is configured much like the venerable Wat Nakiri - stainless clad blue. It's suji like, great for trimming or working up a bunch of bar fruit, it's the one I keep in my catering kit. The Marko is a silverskin machine and very good trimmer. I keep it in the block at home. I asked Marko to make it with minimal flex and he delivered. There's also a HSC petty from Habeer that I'm quite fond of. Suji-ish but a little more robust and in the do everything camp.

I've had both the GG and the SIH 180's and they just did not click with me. A Kono HD2 sounds interesting but I've not used one.

YMMV.

Last edited:
I see a few votes for Marko custom, so I may look into that, though I’m guessing that will be more than I should spend on this knife that will be sort niche for me.

Watanabe is appealing. I have a 150 Toyama Damascus petty on the way, which i think looks more like a mini gyuto. How does the 180 Watanabe compare? Is it kurouchi or kasumi? I suppose it will be a custom order since it’s not on his site in the Pro series.

I've Marko and Wat pettys (petties?) and like both a lot. The Wat is pretty available and is configured much like the venerable Wat Nakiri - stainless clad blue. It's suji like, great for trimming or working up a bunch of bar fruit, it's the one I keep in my catering kit. The Marko is a silverskin machine and very good trimmer. I keep it in the block at home. I asked Marko to make it with minimal flex and he delivered. There's also a HSC petty from Habeer that I'm quite fond of. Suji-ish but a little more robust and in the do everything camp.

I've had both the GG and the SIH 180's and they just did not click with me. A Kono HD2 sounds interesting but I've not used one.

YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
I happen to have both Mazaki and Ashi wa-petties in 180mm. They’re as different as they can be. Ashi is superlight and nimble, Mazaki is a WH and maybe more like a mini gyuto…

PM sent! :angel:

180 petty, thin, sujihiki like low profile. Yeah you're describing an Ashi Ginga... I wouldn't be surprised if just about half the people on this forum are using either an Ashi 180 or 210 to trim their meats... :D

I have Hinoura 180, Ashi White 2 and HD2 Petty (Same things, different flavours).
I like all of them, Hinoura is nicer when you doing onboard cutting action, but Ashi is nicer if you're using it off the board and on hands peeling etc.

It's on this page. Like the nakiri, sometimes it's in stock and other times not. IME it takes him about 2 months to make one - if you email and ask, he'll give you a schedule that he keeps to.

Thanks, these might be a bit beefier than I was thinking but I’ll keep an eye on that page.

180 petty, thin, sujihiki like low profile. Yeah you're describing an Ashi Ginga... I wouldn't be surprised if just about half the people on this forum are using either an Ashi 180 or 210 to trim their meats... :D

It really does sound like the right knife, so maybe I should just accept that a stamped blade is the way to go here.

For the Ashi, anyone feel strongly about stainless vs W#2, and Gesshin vs regular versions?

We have Yoshi SLD in 150 size - I really like it. I can imagine the 180 would be awesome. It is not a laser, but the grind is really good. I use it to cut apples often recently.

We have Yoshi SLD in 150 size - I really like it. I can imagine the 180 would be awesome. It is not a laser, but the grind is really good. I use it to cut apples often recently.

Oh I like that idea. I was eyeing a 150 mm Yoshikane petty recently but haven’t seen a 180… any idea where I can find one? Might go with SKD in this case though, just for price.

For the Ashi, anyone feel strongly about stainless vs W#2, and Gesshin vs regular versions?

I like stainless for shorter knives that are likely to see citrus. My 210 petty/suji is AEB/L. It takes a wicked edge easily and holds well enough. I have a 300 suji in White no. 2, which just feels better. But in functional terms, they're really similar. I think the big thing to look for is hardness. Ashi's basic models are softer than the Geshin line. The carbon versions I've seen have mostly the higher hardness specs (61-62 HRC) even from other vendors, but I'm not sure about the stainless. I got mine from Jon. Other vendors, both Carbon and Bernal, list the carbon versions as a bit harder while JKI downplays any difference. I'm not sure how much there is in reality to those differences.

I've had the Gesshin in white 2 (not W2 - different steel) and did not like the reactivity. The stainless is much more versatile.

It really does sound like the right knife, so maybe I should just accept that a stamped blade is the way to go here.

Personally I don't think that stamped makes a difference for the steel quality or overall usability of the knife.

I only have an Ashi 210 in white; I got it specifically for trimming meat - hence that length, and it sharpens easy as pie. Never found it particularly reactive as it's a monosteel so it lacks the hyperreactive cladding that's usually the problem.
If I were to do a ton of citrus I'd probably get stainless though, so it depends on what you're using it for.

Not a helpful recommendation, unless you have patience (and/or BST good fortune)...
Kippington 180 petty. Up there with Marko for sure.

180 Mazaki is great, has a suji profile and is not crazy expensive (at least it was not too expensive last year when i took one)

Back