Recommend me a knife :)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Reaction score
If you don't cut super hard stuff like bones, frozen meats, or metals as mentioned above, the cutting board would be the hardest thing you cut frequently. That's why the choice of cutting board is very important here. A softer cutting surface not only reduces microchips but also prolong the edge retention. The difference between a bamboo and a Hasegawa FSR/FRK cutting boards could be day-and-night. A cheaper option is Japanese Hinoki which is super edge friendly. Hasegawa FSR/FRK is not that expensive though considering you won't buy a lot boards like with knives. I have friends who don't have nice knife but use Hasegawa after they tried mine.
ah didnt know about the cutting board thing. so get a hasegawa one if i can afford it?

Jovidah

Reaction score
While I generally like the Herder stuff I think there's more cons. The K-series handles have an issue where the protruding part is vulnerable to water, eventually making it come off the handle. And food release is worst of any knife I own. Also the spine and choil were some of the most uncomfortable in my collection. I have a mini-review of the K5 in the review section somewhere that sums it up.
On the flipside, it does cut really well, laserish, without being delicate of flimsy. Very nice no nonsense no fuss cutter in that sense. And it's a monosteel, which contributes to it being a very 'easy' carbon knife to deal with.

But I don't know how good pricing or availability is in the US.

Bico Doce

Reaction score
I just started building up my collection of kitchen knives over the last year and here are somethings I think would be helpful as you start down this rabbit hole.

1. don’t get bogged down with micro-bevels and worrying about micro-chipping. If you haven’t learned the basics of sharpening then it will just overwhelm you. You will get there in no time, just don’t worry about it now.

2. Maybe consider a steel that is more forgiving and allows you to learn. Super hard steels that hold their edge for a long time tend to be brittle and chip. I’m not saying stick with the cutco special but if you want to learn how to sharpen (which will require repetition and practice) maybe choose a steel that doesn’t hold its edge forever but is easier to sharpen such as Aeb-l or 52100. These steels at a 60 hrc are more than 5 x tougher than some of the PM steels or low alloy stuff. They will be razor sharp, won’t have issues micro chipping but need to be touched up more frequently.

3. Just take the plunge and get some experience. You’re not going to know what you want, like and absolutely need until you try out a bunch of knives. Dont get bent out of shape trying to find the one knife that you will keep forever .

4. start simple and build slowly over time, when I was skulking these forums I was intimidated by the all of the knife aficionados and their gear. Many have more money invested just in whetstones than I do in my entire kitchen. Nothing wrong with that, just remember you have to start somewhere. Sure get rid of the plastic and bamboo cutting boards but you don’t have to get the rolls Royce of cutting boards to replace them. I found something great at TJ Maxx for $40 for my first legit cutting board and I still love it even though I have some now that are much more expensive.

with all of that unsolicited advice out of the way, here is something that might fit the bill if you are willing to go the Aeb-l route

Takayuki Grand Chef AEB-L Santoku 180mm for about $140 online (I think from CKTG

I personally haven’t used it but it seems to check the boxes and has an attractive price to wet your feet.