Recommend me an immersion blender

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi KKF,

Home cook here. Been through several cheap immersion blenders over the years. I'd like to replace our broken one with something that will last. I am not really seeking features and attachments... just something that will do its primary job!

On the one hand, maybe the higher end consumer blenders would have the longevity I seek. I read reviews that indicate these products aren't as durable as the price tags might suggest. Since I often read negative reviews to see why products are 'bad', perhaps the negative comments are a case of poor quality control. On the other hand, a bit of extra money enters the small scale commercial bracket. Products like the Robot Coupe Micromix - which would probably last my lifetime (although very, very pricey for a home immersion blender!).

What do you think? Do any of you use one of the smaller commercial immersion blenders at home?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Been using a good old Bamix for years, and it does get used a fair bit. They seem to be fine as long as you don't bang them on the side of the container to get the last bits off...

I have a Braun that has been going strong for 20+ years. Shows no sign of wearing out, and gets used several times a week. Mine came with a small food processor attachment, which I use a fair bit. It only holds about half a litre, but is just perfect for small quantities, because it avoids me having to haul out and clean the big food processor.

America's Test Kitchen recently declared a Braun as their winning blender, too:

Been using a good old Bamix for years

Yeah. Bamix is high on my list. At that price-point, you start to enter the bottom of 'commercial' territory. Which is why I asked the question! I use scare quotes because I don't know if the marketing term really means the design was changed in any meaningful way. I'd be interested to know if chefs out recognise a particular consumer model as a good/durable option for small scale work? Or if the low-end commercial stuff is no better than consumer models...

These tables are primarily for my future reference (not comprehensive, but seemed to come up in reviews or customer ratings)... but maybe there is utility in it for others.

Consumer:

ModelCost ($)Power (W)
Breville Control Grip
100​
280​
Braun MultiQuick
70-180​
700-1000​
KitchenAid Classic 2 Speed
140​
180​
Bamix classic/immersion
280-350​
140​
Bamix gastro
400​
200​

Commercial:

ModelCost ($)Power (W)
Waring Light Duty Quik Stix
150​
100​
KitchenAid Commercial
350​
500​
Robot Coupe Micro Mix
350​
220​
Robot Coupe Mini MP 160 VV
450​
240​

As a broad generalisation, the commercial models look more single purpose, easier to clean... and I can't help but think their power ratings are a better indication of continuous output (less overheating etc...)

I have a Braun that has been going strong for 20+ years.

Take care of it! Some negative reviews on the new models are "my previous Braun lasted nearly 20 years" followed by disappointment 😔. Again, this could be the few percent that get a dud through poor quality control... Cost cutting is certainly a trend that has gotten worse and worse...

We have the Breville. It works fine for home use. And even the little food processor bowl that the grip can attach to I use for salsa.

If you use it a fair bit, $350 doesn't seem outrageous, TBH. Cheaper than a decent knife 🙃

Hehe... right? Also "buy cheap, buy twice" comes to mind.

Robot Coupe Micro Mix, we always had good luck with the brand at the restaurant, $250 on amazon. I've got a huge Avamix from a restaurant supply store, I only use it for soups, cost me $129.

Robot coupe looks like nice stuff. The stuff I have read online seems to praise the brand. I couldn't find a whole lot on the Micro Mix. Thanks for the Avamix tip, I'll look them up. Our use is 99% soups :) (have done mayo and smoothies on the odd occasion).

We have the Breville. It works fine for home use

Our most recent one that died was a basic two speed Breville. The motor was actually fine! It was the little plastic coupling that attaches the motor to the drive spindle of the blending arm. It cracked open, preventing it from transferring torque - just a nasty buzzing sound instead. I tried a hack fix but it didnt last long.

I've had s Bamix for about 10 yrs. Used it in pro kitchen for a couple of those years. It's pretty much bulletproof.

Not impressed w Breville. Kitchenaid is crap.

!Waring (pro model) is about equivelent to Bamix. But fugly.

No experience with RC blender.

I've had s Bamix for about 10 yrs. Used it in pro kitchen for a couple of those years. It's pretty much bulletproof.

Not impressed w Breville. Kitchenaid is crap.

!Waring (pro model) is about equivelent to Bamix. But fugly.

No experience with RC blender.

Thanks for that 👍 Good to get negative feedback as well.

I was hoping there would be a small capacity, well built stick blender for commercial kitchens that saved costs by not pouring money into advertising and aesthetic design. Maybe the small Robot coupe fits that bill? Bamix seems to be a meeting of the two markets. It does generally get praised for durability.

I took my Bamix to work to teplace a failed Waring. Couple years of making puree soups daily, 6 - 8L at a time. The waring did well until it didn't. I've used Waring in other pro kitchens and they are very solid. They would be my first choice if buying for a pro kitchen.

But I edited my post to include fugly for the Waring. They are made for pro use and there's no aesthetic to them. The Bamix, ime, is just as solid and looks nice as well. It would be my first choice for a home kitchen - even my home kitchen where functionality trumps pretty.

Do know that nothing about a RC is cheap. I don't know the immersion blender but do have two of the processors (2K each) sitting on a shelf cause I can't get the beancounters to approve new blades (200 ea) and a new lid (400). They did buy off on a new, $600 Waring processor though. In some world that makes sense.

I dont know which one I have. But it’s been badassing for a decade+. I blew up a Braun making enchilada sauce. It belched out that ozone burned wire smell and quit working.

let me grab a pic. It’s a Waring commercial. Even the cord is heavy. I’ll use it today to make grilled zucchini Soup.

image.jpg

Fugly? Beauty is in the final product for me. Not so sure I would pic an immersio-blender for aesthetics. It’s buried in a drawer until I need it. The waring has a toggle switch. Top toggle is slow speed, bottom toggle is fast speed. No adjustable dial to adjust speed which I think is pretty useless since most of us would opt for fast.

the waring is heavy. A bit heavy for my wife To use for extended time. The blade is very efficient. You simply tilt it a tiny bit and it won’t suction to the bottom of the pot. I can’t remember how much I paid for it. It was on par with the Bamix if I remember straight.
good luck with the search OP!

Thats the one. Could not count the gallons of soup I've pureed with the Waring.

But same can be said for Bamix and it looks good doing it.

The Robot Coupe is "non-culinary minded clock puncher" resistant. I forget the other brands that would last 6-12 months. Robot Coupe kept going after 5 years.

Last edited:
I’m a chef if 20 years and every kitchen I’ve worked in had a bamix of various sizes. They last nearly forever. The smaller ones like you’d want were used on the hot line for 4-6 hours 365 days, in heated acidic liquids, sauces, purée etc. aside from very mild corrosion on the Aluminium crown they never had failures. We did have one that the button pad wore out on eventually and became an electrical hazard. Aside from that they’re basically bullet proof.

Great! Really great! Thanks everyone!

Bamix, waring, Robot-coupe... that is a good handful of choices in this bracket.

But I edited my post to include fugly for the Waring. They are made for pro use and there's no aesthetic to them. The Bamix, ime, is just as solid and looks nice as well. It would be my first choice for a home kitchen - even my home kitchen where functionality trumps pretty.

😋

I don't mind too much. It won't be counter-top bling. There is a certain industrial simplicity to the Waring. Maybe fugly... but not the worst kind of ugly. Interesting comment on your home preference. What is the decisive factor of the Bamix over the Waring

Do know that nothing about a RC is cheap. I don't know the immersion blender but do have two of the processors (2K each) sitting on a shelf cause I can't get the beancounters to approve new blades (200 ea) and a new lid (400). They did buy off on a new, $600 Waring processor though. In some world that makes sense.

Boy... No kidding. I found a manual with an exploded diagram of replacement parts ($$$$). Props to Robot-coupe for making it accessible for customers to service their own equipment. Pity about the bean-counters! Seems like user serviceability is one of the advantages of Robot-coupe!

Fugly? Beauty is in the final product for me. Not so sure I would pic an immersio-blender for aesthetics. It’s buried in a drawer until I need it. The waring has a toggle switch. Top toggle is slow speed, bottom toggle is fast speed. No adjustable dial to adjust speed which I think is pretty useless since most of us would opt for fast.

the waring is heavy. A bit heavy for my wife To use for extended time. The blade is very efficient. You simply tilt it a tiny bit and it won’t suction to the bottom of the pot. I can’t remember how much I paid for it. It was on par with the Bamix if I remember straight.
good luck with the search OP!

😬

Thanks for the photo. Im pretty sure that is the model I am thinking about.

Im the same. It would be stashed in a cupboard - so I looks aren't a primary concern. You're probably right about the speed. For the minority of times I have used previous blenders to make mayonnaise or salad dressing, finer grained control of the speed might have be handy... the rest of the time low and high have served me well.

Good tip about the weight. My better half is quite petite - she might not appreciate hefting the Waring around. Strange about the cost though! The entry level Waring is quite a fair bit cheaper than Bamix here....

The small Waring is great for home use.

Thats the one... hehe.... the big ones look like outboard motors!

The Robot Coupe is "non-culinary minded clock puncher" resistant. I forget the other brands that would last 6-12 months. Robot Coupe kept going after 5 years.

🤣

If that is not a ringing endorsement for durability, I dont know what is?

Waring is made in USA (right?). I imagine that would make them cheaper for American chefs. Good to hear some Robot-Coupe love. Judging by the small sample size in this thread, they are less popular for the small scale blenders.

I’m a chef if 20 years and every kitchen I’ve worked in had a bamix of various sizes. They last nearly forever. The smaller ones like you’d want were used on the hot line for 4-6 hours 365 days, in heated acidic liquids, sauces, purée etc. aside from very mild corrosion on the Aluminium crown they never had failures. We did have one that the button pad wore out on eventually and became an electrical hazard. Aside from that they’re basically bullet proof.

Geeze... Those are some pretty serious operational hours! Werent Bamix the first immersion blender? Good to know they havent diluted the concept!

Interesting!

I sat down with the better half and we eliminated Bamix! It is stuck in between the other two in terms of value. Waring is by far the best value machine. Robot Coupe is the one with the better features (detachable stick, more power, variable speed). At Bamix prices, you may as well buy the robot-coupe.

Again... For anyone else on the internet who might find this useful:

ModelWeight (g)Power (W)Speed (RPM)Cost (approx $AUD)$ / W
Waring Commercial Light Duty Quik Stix
1100​
175​
15,500 & 20,500​
120​
0.7​
Bamix Classic
940​
140​
12,000 & 17,000​
280​
2​
Bamix Gastro
940​
200​
12,000 & 17,000​
400​
2​
Robot Coupe MicroMix
1400​
220​
1,500 - 14,000​
350​
1.6​

And then there were two! My wallet says Waring but my heart says robot-coupe.

:)

.... actually.... At ~$120, if the Waring as good as its reputation, its a bloody steal!

.... actually.... At ~$120, if the Waring as good as its reputation, its a bloody steal!
Don't forget that you can buy three Warings for the price of one Robot Coupe. And, while the first Waring is still working, the remainder of the money can be invested or used for something else useful.

If a Waring lasts ten years (and it may well last longer), you'll be an old man before you'll have to buy your fourth Waring… ;)

Last edited:
Don't forget that you can buy three Warings for the price of one Robot Coupe. And, while the first Waring, is still working the remainder of the money can be invested or used for something else useful.

Well, your wallet is the smart one here 🙃

You guys are great... I needed some sense talked into me! Waring it is!

Another vote for Waring. I’ve been using them at work for years. Very good bang for the buck.
At home I have a RC Mini Pro that I got a great deal on at a show. Bulletproof, but the speed control feels cheap and seems like an afterthought.

I thought I would miss the detachable end. But not at all. I just unplug it and sponge up the end. (Man that sounded terrible read out loud)

my wife said The Waring was about $100 when I bought it. Sorry. My memory sucks.

Back