Recommend steak knife (set)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick112

Reaction score
Hello, Im looking for a single or a set of steak knifes.
Must no be serrated.
Preferrably not to hard to sharpen on stones.
Edge retention, not important, happy to sharpen often.
Stainless? I assume no one make steak knife sets in carbon steel? Then you have to wipe the knife off after every chew. I assume vg10 would be a good choice. As long as its nice to sharpen on stones and can be sharpened unnecessary sharp.
Handle , not picky.
Style; western or asian, doesnt matter
Lenght, how long are steak knifes? 4-5”? Not important, not to long though.
Price range; any

any recommendations?

Thanks for all ideas. Re knivesnad tools, I was looking for some harder steel/higher hrc steels, just 1-2 that meets that criteria on ktools. Though I understand that the steak knife will probably be dull in no time when used for cutting on a plate, but still prefer that since I have the option to sharpen them unnecessary sharp, and its fun to sharpen. I wonder also the weird shape of some steak knifes if that makes the harder to sharpen on stones?

Personally I don’t get the idea of a high hardness steak knife, but, hey, each to his own. The ‘weird shape’ you refer to is the traditionel look of a french steak knife, they are not especially hard to sharpen on stones.

i M
Thanks for all ideas. Re knivesnad tools, I was looking for some harder steel/higher hrc steels, just 1-2 that meets that criteria on ktools. Though I understand that the steak knife will probably be dull in no time when used for cutting on a plate, but still prefer that since I have the option to sharpen them unnecessary sharp, and its fun to sharpen. I wonder also the weird shape of some steak knifes if that makes the harder to sharpen on stones?

the thing is, you can sharpen virtually any steel to super high sharpness, high hardness doesnt have a lot to do with it.
You might as well look for some 120/135/150 mm petty knives depending on your preferences, eg:
https://www.hocho-knife.com/sabun-high-carbon-mv-stainless-petty-knife-utility-120mm/

Eloh sure you are right, but for me that is far from pro on the stones, only been sharpening a few years, its far easier to get a w1 or b2 hht sharp than a stainless hrc 58 steel, maybe you are good at getting a hrc 58 pass hht. Im trying to figure out what steels would fit my requirements for a steak knife. I did consider a petty, but for wife or guests its kind of hardcore to put a petty on the plate.

Corradobrit thanks for the tip. Anyone have experience from the alenox steel that is used in those knifes? From a sharpening pov, and edge pov.

Those antzenberger ones are quite nice but pricey...100-140€/piece

Is it a series he has done before? Or is a one off? The handles kind of look thin. Also I know nothing about the steel that is used, half of the joy is to get a good steel for the purpose, and Im not sure alenox at 58 hrc is that ”fun”, I might be totally wrong here

Thanks for taking your time to reply. Yes my thoughts are to get a higher hrc steel, even though it dulls very quickly on plates. Maybe this thinking with getting vg10 or similar is wrong? Any input on what steel /hrc to look for? I do enjoy having the choice to put a ”to” sharp edge, even on steak knifes.

Latest posts

Back