Recommendation for a Petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDM

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Petty

Are you right or left handed?
Right
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
135-150mm, and prefer it not be too tall
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Open to stainless or stainless clad
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$100-$250

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing vegetables, slicing/trimming meats, dicing fruits, cutting squash, etc
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Shun Classic 6 inch utility
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch Grip
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push Cut, Slice
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Ease of Use- food release, easy to sharpen
Edge quality and retention

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Bamboo and end grain
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, although I'm newer to it
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Not now

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I've got a Wakui Nakiri that I have been very pleased with, but I'd like to consider something a step up in quality. The nakiri is White #2, and since I'm new to this I'd like to try either Blue or Stainless (like SKD).

I've considered a Yoshikane Yoshikane Nashiji SKD Petty 150mm but am by no means committed. I'd be curious for more thoughts on SKD vs Blue

Gentle bump..

Define quality?
I said that because I know my budget of $150 last time restricted me from getting something like the Wantanabe Nakiri that everyone raves about so much. This is my first real knife, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm missing out on, but ideally edge retention would be better with comparable sharpness. I don't mind if the sharpening process is a bit more challenging, which is why I was considering Blue.

I think I'd probably like it on the thinner (but not laser) side, as I perceive that would help with peeling, etc.

The low reactivity is the other thing that brings me to stainless or stainless clad blue, since I will likely be using it often with tomatoes, onions, etc, and I suspect it will occasionally be left on the cutting board while the rest of the meal is finished. Sometimes my 1 year old makes it very difficult to start and finish cooking without a distraction!

Narrow blade, not very reactive, thin, wa handle: Aritsugu A-type alloy steel 140mm, especially if you‘ll be using it for a lot of in hand work, or Masashi VS1 150mm semi stainless,.

I recently picked up this petty and have been quite happy with it:

Konosuke GS+ Petty 145mm Khii Chestnut Handle

I like the narrow blade profile, 142mm length, and it's pretty thin. Although GS+ is advertised as semi-stainless, so far I haven't had any reactivity issues in cutting a variety of fruits, tomatoes, onions, etc. It acts just like my stainless knives.

Honestly, I wouldn’t overthink it. It’s a petty. I think stuff like food release etc isn’t that important really with petties. Just my opinion.

If you cut a lot of fruit I’d go with a stainless. I think SKD is a decent steel. Or see if you can get a Tanaka Ginsan for your budget (knivesandstones maybe?).

if Carbon I’d consider a Kochi from JKI or maybe a Hinoura Hammered. I have the latter and it’s quite nice, but I don’t recall where I bought it (oh wait, knivesandstones) or how much it is....

edit: I’d consider getting rid of your bamboo board. Bamboo is quite tough on the edge ...

I recently picked up this petty and have been quite happy with it:

Konosuke GS+ Petty 145mm Khii Chestnut Handle

I like the narrow blade profile, 142mm length, and it's pretty thin. Although GS+ is advertised as semi-stainless, so far I haven't had any reactivity issues in cutting a variety of fruits, tomatoes, onions, etc. It acts just like my stainless knives.

I bought one recently too and I think it's great, especially the F&F which I think for the price I paid (£120) is really really good.

It's very thin at the spine, with a convex grind, but the convexity kicks in a bit too quickly so it's not too thin b.t.e (like a couple mm behind the edge, not immediately), so for potatoes and stuff it won't be great. But it is a shallot killer.

Tanaka VG10 dammy - price/quality hard to beat. F&F is just ok.

I'm really fond of my Mazaki petty, but it's iron clad.

I would probably go with TF nashiji, myself.

The Takefu village makes tons of stainless clad pettys. I like the Kato nashiji AS line best.

I have a 105, 135, 150x2, 165, 180, and 210. Why? Why not?

I love to use the 180mm for cleaning tenderloin and skinning small fish, like trout. It could replace any small petty in a pinch. It however can't handle a salmon side or other primals like a 210mm. So, I do love a 180mm, but for me, it's not a one size fits all, which presents the question, does a 210mm do it all? Is a 180mm a better choice than a 150mm because it also excels at small fish and proteins and in conjunction with a proper suji, all bases are covered?

Dilemma...which is why I have 7 pettys.

TF Nashiji petty, SS-clad white. Good value at $95.
Masahi petty, SLD. Thin, nice F&F.
The Yoshikane petty you link is nice too.

kurosaki hammered r2 is nice. they are stainless clad stainless. looks cool. no finish to rub off and you dont need to baby it.

I have a 105, 135, 150x2, 165, 180, and 210. Why? Why not?
How do you choose which knives to get as a longer petty? Does it make sense to get a thinner knife as a slightly longer petty than your preferred length, especially a laser?

Latest posts

Back