Recommendation for first Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmbaker82

Reaction score
A few years ago I had asked for recommendations for a Gyuto and you all helped me out and I decided on one from Wantanabe, but I never purchased it because of budget. So now I am looking for a Gyuto that fits within a budget that will not cause other problems.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto
Are you right or left handed? Left

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Style does not matter,

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$150

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing vegetables (Tomatoes, garlic, onions, peppers) and meats (poultry and beef)

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Messermeister Meridian Elite 6In Chef knife, and a no name 8in Chef knife.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) No, varies based on task

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Varies based on task

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
The Messermeister is hard to sharpen. This may be technique or inadequate sharpening stones, I am unsure. Just seems to take an excessive amount of time to sharpen.
The no name one sharpens easily but dulls quickly
Both knives tend to have trouble with thin slices and also with stiction

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Not important

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Not Important

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Sharpness, Edge Retention, Less wedging and better release are important. Would like something that is reasonable to sharpen, but I would rather have to improve my sharpening skills then have a knife that will not take as sharp of an edge or that has to be resharpened all of the time

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? Forever?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) Would prefer not to purchase any new equipment, have a 1000/6000 Grit Sharpening and Honing Wet Stone, but if I need to and its reasonable in cost I would consider it.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Ideally, but not required, something that is available on amazon as I gift cards to use.

240, left-handed, synthetic board, <150. No easy one. Unpleasant sharpening is a bit a part of the deal with the standard German stainless (Krupp's 4116).
Most carbons though don't keep their edge that well on a synthetic board.
As you're left-handed I would consider a blade with an inverted geometry. Masahiro and Misono have them in stock. Don't know about the current prices, but I would search for a Masahiro Virgin Carbon. Among the reasonably priced carbons, it certainly has the best edge retention. Don't expect a nice Fit&Finish, but it is an excellent performer. As for stainless, the Misono 440 were a good option, sharpens easily, but won't match with your budget.

240, left-handed, synthetic board, <150. No easy one. Unpleasant sharpening is a bit a part of the deal with the standard German stainless (Krupp's 4116).
As you're left-handed I would consider a blade with an inverted geometry. Masahiro and Misono have them in stock. Don't know about the current prices, but I would search for a Masahiro Virgin Carbon. Among the reasonably priced carbons, it certainly has the best edge retention. Don't expect a nice Fit&Finish, but it is an excellent performer. As for stainless, the Misono 440 were a good option, sharpens easily, but won't match with your budget.
@Benuser ‘s recommendations are spot on. Nothing else to add.

Knife Merchant seems to have the lefty 240mm Masahiro for $168.95.
Ask them to give it a first stone sharpening. Most retailers are well prepared to do so for free or for a very modic price. Most factory edges are weak and far from optimal. Just a few strokes, a bit of buffing to deburr and done! I only now realise your coarsest stone is a 1k. I would start myself with a 220 or 320 Shapton Glass to thin a bit behind the edge and ease its asymmetry. A small job for a retailer, probably a serious hurdle for you without any coarse stone.

Do they have a Ross store near where you live? They have cross grain wooden boards for cheap. Use your synthetic board for meats & wood board for everything else.

That way no cross contamination from raw meats as opposed to using one board for everything.

JCK Blue Moon series at Japanese Chef Knife is stainless clad blue steel carbon core. You can make it razer sharp. One of better blades if you worried about stiction. Potatoes separate better than most knives. I wouldn't fret about stiction never even thought about it working in Hotel kitchens. Only when joined knife forums it seemed to be a concern to folks. Most knives have stiction.

The 240 is out of stock, the 210 is on sale for 133.00. One of the benefits of carbon is easy to sharpen so much so that it is a pleasure compared to what you have now.

Do they have a Ross store near where you live? They have cross grain wooden boards for cheap. Use your synthetic board for meats & wood board for everything else.

That way no cross contamination from raw meats as opposed to using one board for everything.

JCK Blue Moon series at Japanese Chef Knife is stainless clad blue steel carbon core. You can make it razer sharp. One of better blades if you worried about stiction. Potatoes separate better than most knives. I wouldn't fret about stiction never even thought about it working in Hotel kitchens. Only when joined knife forums it seemed to be a concern to folks. Most knives have stiction.

The 240 is out of stock, the 210 is on sale for 133.00. One of the benefits of carbon is easy to sharpen so much so that it is a pleasure compared to what you have now.
If you are talking about Ross Cutlery, the only thing I can find is in los angeles. Guess I should have included more specific location. I'm in Indiana, so that store is over 2000 miles away. I'm sure I can find a wooden cutting board somewhere though. Been wanting to get one anyway.

The Blue Moon does look nice. Price is good. May have to wait until the 240 is back in stock. Thank you for the recommendation

Thank you for the info. I'll look into the Masahiro and Misono. Looks like the Misono 270mm is available for $160 on amazon, but not left handed

😁 I was talking about Ross discount store don't know about mainland think it is a national operation. I've bought shorts, shirts there. Even a nice wood board for 15.00. Needless to say it's popular store in Hawaii.

270mm is a big blade for most home users even with a larger cutting board. That's why 210mm even 180mm are popular. My better half likes the 180. At work liked 240 most long enough, light nimble for speed cutting.

Marshalls and Home Goods is another option.

270mm is a big blade for most home users even with a larger cutting board. That's why 210mm even 180mm are popular. My better half likes the 180. At work liked 240 most long enough, light nimble for speed cutting.
Yeah I was thinking the 270 is going to be a little big

😁 I was talking about Ross discount store don't know about mainland think it is a national operation. I've bought shorts, shirts there. Even a nice wood board for 15.00. Needless to say it's popular store in Hawaii.
Oh ok.... We just had one open near hear, haven't been to it yet.

Or even thrift stores like Goodwill where people donate stuff. Found some nice ceramic glaze fired coffee cups for 1.00 each. Ross here seems to have quite a bit of discounted kitchen stuff.

Back