Recommendation Needed for Slicing and Chef Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheQReview

Reaction score
I need some help with picking out an inexpensive slicer and chef's knife. I've read a lot of positive reviews about the Victorinox 12 inch granton edge slicer and their 40520 Fibrox 8-inch chef's knife. I can get the pair for under $60. Is that a good buy? How do the Victorinox knives compare to the Old Hickory slicers that members suggested previously.

My budget is really limited. I'd appreciate input from the experts.

Thank you

I've never used the slicer but the 8-inch chef is one of the best bargins around. Usually under $30 on the web. We have one in our block next to the 10-inch wood handled Vic. chef.

I personally like the 10" chef better than the 8". you might even be able to skip the slicer.

If that's your price range, you're not going to find anything better, imo.

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I don't have much more than $60 to spend right now.

a single good slicer/chef's is hard to find under $60; perhaps just save up another $90 or so and get a pair of fujiwara fkh/fkm or tojiro itk

You should be fine with Victorinox, but avoid the Granton edge: ineffective, makes the blade thicker, reduces life time.

Old hickory 14 inch butcher knife. Hands down! Great bbq slicer.

Back