Recommendations for a Forward-balanced, Flat 180mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tostadas

Hobbyist / Craftsman
Reaction score
Maybe you guys can help identify some options for a knife that meets my criteria. I'm looking for an approximately 170-180mm to supplement my current 240+150. It will be primarily as a smaller knife for veggies when I don't want to reach for the 240mm. Here are the characteristics I'm looking for:

-pointy tip (non-nakiri)
-relatively flat edge
-45mm+ height at heel
-forward balance
-wa handle

So far, I've found a couple that might meet these requirements
Hinoura 180mm santoku from EE/KnS
Munetoshi 170mm santoku from CC
Shinko Seilan 180mm santoku from KnS (not sure about balance)

I'd be happy to have some more options to consider.

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in?
santoku, gyuto, bunka

Are you right or left handed?
right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
170-180mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
no

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$220 USD

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
primarily veggies

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
to supplement 240mm Mazaki and 150mm petty

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
push, pull, chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.
relatively flat edge, 45mm+ height at heel, pointy tip (non-nakiri), forward balance, wa handle

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
n/a

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
forward balance, blade-heavy

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
wood, synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

My Hinoura white #2 santoku from Cleancut has a balance around 1 1/4 inches forward from where the blade meets the handle, if that helps. I picked a taller one that came in at 50mm for height. It is a great knife that excels with precise cuts in veg.

I'd recommend the Shibata Kotetsu Bunka. Seems to fit your requirements right on: 180mm length, 50mm height, flatter profile, and it's awesome on produce. If you shop around I've seen it right on budget at $220, but quite a few places are OOS at the moment.

I'd recommend the Shibata Kotetsu Bunka. Seems to fit your requirements right on: 180mm length, 50mm height, flatter profile, and it's awesome on produce. If you shop around I've seen it right on budget at $220, but quite a few places are OOS at the moment.

Where is the balance point typically on this one?

My first thought reading the desired specification was Shibata Kotetsu Bunka as well. Balance point about where your index finger would be with a pinch grip.

Last edited:
I'd recommend the Yoshikane bunka they have at Cleancut. It's got a nice tall heel, great flat spot, and is within your budget. It's just an excellent HT of the steel and great, versatile shape. I own one and love it.

Edit: has a nice forward balance point due to heel height

Do you have a 170 or 185?

Awesome, I'll look into it. Does the angle of the blade feel awkward at all? It looks steep.
Not for me, not one bit. I've used some steep angles before and that is not this knife. It's pretty mellow. I find it easy to adjust between a square (nakiri) and a more triangular shaped gyuto (Cris Anderson, Kamon, Yanick Puig) with minor hand/elbow adjustments. If you are used to a very traditional Japanese profile I think this will still work for you - it's not that far off. Give it a try - I'd be surprised if you don't like it. I'm impressed with the price to performance ratio and like the shape quite a bit.

Not for me, not one bit. I've used some steep angles before and that is not this knife. It's pretty mellow. I find it easy to adjust between a square (nakiri) and a more triangular shaped gyuto (Cris Anderson, Kamon, Yanick Puig) with minor hand/elbow adjustments. If you are used to a very traditional Japanese profile I think this will still work for you - it's not that far off. Give it a try - I'd be surprised if you don't like it. I'm impressed with the price to performance ratio and like the shape quite a bit.
Where is the balance point located?

See below.

IMG_2970.jpg

I'd recommend the Yoshikane bunka they have at Cleancut. It's got a nice tall heel, great flat spot, and is within your budget. It's just an excellent HT of the steel and great, versatile shape. I own one and love it.

Edit: has a nice forward balance point due to heel height
They have a white steel bunka which is 220 euros/250us also have semistainless Hakata which comes in close to 220usd minus fees/shipping as may apply.................which are you refering to?

Back