Recommendations for a UK buyer (first serious gyuto)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in London and bought knives from Hong Kong and USA recently, import duties was less than £30 for a £350 knife. But you pay around £40 for delivery also, hope it helps to give you and idea.

Can I ask how much it cost and whether you got hit with duty etc? I like some of the knives on that site but seems like customs could cost close to £100.

Also the Shizuku in 210 runs at 215 - do you think for smaller prep (ie cooking at home) that that would be optimal? I think they're a similar height.

iirc it was around £250 all in so about the same as CuttingEdge wanted for it.
I did have to pay tax on that one, it was about £25 I think.
i did previously buy a Tanaka ginsan lite from K&S which arrived (incredibly quickly) with no extra fees.
As far as the size goes... look, you’re on your way down this rabbit hole now, I suspect you’re going to end up with knives in both sizes. Kurosakis are light so don’t feel unwieldy in 240 but you’re only going to appreciate the extra size on watermelon, whole cabbage etc.
You can’t go far wrong with either!

@zatowashi did you come to a decision?
Yes thanks! I found a great deal on a special version of the 210 - while I was initially going for the 240, it would have meant paying over £100 more for the larger model and standard handle so I couldn't resist. More excuse to get a Suji later or a longer gyuto (I want one in carbon in future).

This one has a beautiful lacquered urushi handle - that in combination with being stainless makes it a brilliant all rounder and ideal for my small kitchen. I don't cut watermelon and cabbage often enough vs having a little extra agility and more comfort on my smaller boards - so I think it'll all work out! I did prefer the weight of the 240 and didn't find it unwieldy (had a trip to a store where I could hold both).

It arrived today! I could definitely handle a 240 but this is very practical for my current environment. I figured the lacquered finish is both beautiful and ideal as it is waterproof - so this is one that doesn't need to be babied. Really pleased with the fit and finish!

Attachments

• IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0302.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 49
Back