Refinishing a Ryusen Blazen

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were a few vertical grind marks if I looked super hard, but nothing to get too worried about for a working knife. I guess because of the high level of finish in the original knife.

For making an original looking finish on Blazens is use a beltgrinder, 120 and 240 Grit belts, then 3M schotchbrite fine and extra fine, felt with CBN paste for finial polishing.

Could not be done by hand, because it ist 90° to the egde wicht performs better than longitudinal finish in my opinion.

Regards

Uwe

For making an original looking finish on Blazens is use a beltgrinder, 120 and 240 Grit belts, then 3M schotchbrite fine and extra fine, felt with CBN paste for finial polishing.

Could not be done by hand, because it ist 90° to the egde wicht performs better than longitudinal finish in my opinion.

Regards

Uwe
Thanks for this info. Is this the factory treatment or your approximation of the factory treatment?

What grit/ micron grade CBN is used? Could a diamond paste or even a metal polish do the trick?

I dont know how they are polished in the factory.

I have 14 mµ and 2mµ CBN paste for polishing, Diamond is not the best choice for using with the speed of a beltgrinder on steel, because it is pure carbon, it works better for tungstencarbide or with slow speed by hand on steel.

Regards

Uwe

Back