Refreshing a used usuba need advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabisabi-Ken

Reaction score
Hey guys! Got this usuba today, and look at the state of it! Looks like the previous owner had tried to give it a tidy up but maybe the Corona got to them and were unable to finish the job... Anyway I thought I'd freshen it up along with the sheath that came with it..
IMG_20220625_141006.jpg

Low spots galore
IMG_20220625_140943.jpg

Hmmm pretty sure that should be flat, champion I think not.
IMG_20220625_141158.jpg

Anyway spent some time sorting it out with a king 300 and atoma 400 then onto a king 800 for a quick geeze at how it would look with a bit of kasumi.. a lot better than it was before at least.
IMG_20220625_162707.jpg

So with first rough tidy up of the blade I moved onto the sheath and handle which is new territory for me.. well all of this is new territory really.

I went at it with 240-400-1000 and finally 2000 sandpaper, pretty happy with the finish so far, wouldn't mind getting a bit more sheen to the wood, should I seal it with something? I don't want it to change the colour much and just want it to shine a bit better, after 2000 it has a slight sheen to it (hard to see in photos) which I like but want more not like crazy glossy or anything though. Any suggestions? I also noticed after sanding the buffalo horn it seems to be dry, do I need to keep going up in grit above 2000 or do I need to rehydrate it with something? Would whatever I use on the wood work for the horn too? Suggestions welcome!!
IMG_20220625_191446.jpg

First stage tidy up complete! Looking forward to finishing the blade up as I am hopefully going to buy some jnats and further polishing/sealing the wood and buffalo horn.
IMG_20220625_191723.jpg

Should be fun to see how this turns out, it may end up going on and on as I play with different finishes on the blade... Let's just hope the Corona doesn't get me before I can finish it too...

Any input welcome!

Last edited:
Back