Rehandled Masamoto KS - photos?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stratguy

Reaction score
Some seem to think that the handle is not up to snuff on the KS, and I'm curious as to how it looks with a different handle. I've searched the web for photos of rehandled Masamotos, but I'm coming up empty. If you have any photos, please post.

Thanks

I actually don’t mind KS handles, but I bought one off BST and it was cracked. Attached is what I did.

Attachments

• 86D66125-5057-43F3-B135-27F52602C4BC.jpeg
    86D66125-5057-43F3-B135-27F52602C4BC.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 339
That looks really nice. I'm thinking of picking one up, and D-shaped handles have never really appealed to me. Thanks for posting that.

That burnt chestnut looks awesome. Wasn't sure how the rustic vibe would work with that blade, but it's a winner.

The KS stock handle...its slightly short vs the emoto...but it works well in use IMHO

Another option for KS handles is Marko, IIRC BK ultra has a Marko handle on his Honyaki
Since Marko is familar enough with the stock KS and its profile and properties
he'd probably be a good person to reach out to if you want a new handle.

If you rehandle your KS take care to take don't shrink the emoto or you'll alter the balance or handling,
ie, either the balance will shift or the counterweight/inerial mass will be in a different place.

Its possibel to maybe improve the KS handle, but the stock knife is 'balanced' absurdly well...

Thanks HRC, that's excellent advice. I think I'll keep it as is, but if the urge arises, it appears that Marco would be the way to go. I was just on his site - absolutely stunning work.

i thought the ks handle was fine and agree with Hrc about the balance... perfect imo.

An old Mike Henry in birch burl and bog oak.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-28-21-33-26~2.png
    Screenshot_2019-07-28-21-33-26~2.png
    463.4 KB · Views: 74
I actually sent mine to Graydon to have it re-handled to the proper dimensions (D-shape). The handle that is on mine was not installed straight and it drives me crazy.

I had originally reached out to Marko, but couldn't get a response. So far, working with Graydon has been awesome.

Back