Rehandling a western handle with new scales?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried a forum search but didn’t come up with much. I’m sure it’s here though. Anyone have a good link or two on removing the current handle of a western petty and replacing the plastic with wood? I have some nice Amboyna scraps and I really want to give it a go.

The easiest way to remove them is bash them off with a hammer or use a vice to crush them up. Try not to touch the pins / rivets too much as they can be tricky to remove, especially if bent. You may need some fairly full-on wire cutters.

To make a handle - take your two pieces of wood and cut them roughly to size using a jigsaw or something. Then epoxy them on marking on the wood where the holes in the tang are. Drill and put your pins / rivets in. Tape up your blade, and then start shaping. You could do that by hand I suppose but I think most people would use a belt sander / grinder. Finish by hand sanding.

There are other people here who've done westerns a lot more than I have, so there'll probably be other methods and tips, that's just how I'd do it.

IMG_20210811_152635.jpg

Top two images should be lower down in the process sorry,
IMG_20210811_152615.jpg
IMG_20210515_114910.jpg

The way I remove the handles is to drill the rivets out. Then smash the scales with a hammer.
IMG_20210804_142932.jpg

Then I rough shape the scales, (the tang side is taken to the finishing stage)
Drill holes and cut the new pins to rough size and glue with epoxy.
IMG_20210724_153155.jpg
IMG_20210808_115238.jpg

Then I do the shaping by hand with a rasp. Then take it through sanding grits (top 2 pics, I'm struggling to order the pics on my phone, I'm on holiday) and finish with Danish oil and then a Beeswax oil thing I make.
IMG_20210901_173743.jpg
IMG_20210811_152615.jpg

This one is out of order too but I hope you get the idea?

Back