Rehandling Chinese cleavers?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Cksnffr

Reaction score
Anyone know if you can attach a typical wa handle to the ubiquitous round-handled chinese cleavers like CCK?

upload_2020-2-29_15-35-37.jpeg

I don't know what kind of tang, if any, is in there. But I know I prefer wa handles even on slicing cleavers.

stringer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't owned a CCK, but I have rehandled a bunch of cheap Chinese cleavers. The tang is usually a long, ragged. rat tail. Often it goes all the way through the handle and then the last bit is bent to hold the handle in place. I usually break or grind off the crooked bit. Then you can put whatever handle you want on it. However, a typical wa handle is quite a bit skinnier and longer than a typical cleaver handle. So you gotta make sure it feels comfortable and balances right.

nakneker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can with a bit of modification. I’m guessing the tang runs through the handle and is bent in an L shape at the end of the handle. I rehandled my CCK and took a hammer to the stock handle. After smashing it I removed the metal ring on the front of the handle and filed off the the back of the tang. I spun a new ironwood handle on my lathe but a wa handle would fit nicely. You may need to do some file work where the blade and tang meet, clean that up a bit, square it for a wa handle to fit nicely. Pretty easy project and fun. Here’s a pic of mine.

Attachments

Bensbites

Reaction score
I have done a about 5 myself. @nakneker is dead on. Once you modify a tang, you can put any size handle on there. I can show you some photos of clients moritaka and CCKs if you like.

nevrknow

Reaction score
Of course you can just like said above. I did both of mine, however, the normal wa handle felt weird so I made some thicker wa-ish? Handles. I'm out of town but maybe I can get the fam to pop over some pics.

andrewlefilms

Reaction score
I have a big CCK also and have also thought about rehandling but haven't gotten around to it. I heard the handle isn't a real tight fit without the bent tang so if you just saw off the end of the handle/tang maybe everything will slide off nicely. That's probably what I'll do when I get around to it

Bensbites

Reaction score
I have a big CCK also and have also thought about rehandling but haven't gotten around to it. I heard the handle isn't a real tight fit without the bent tang so if you just saw off the end of the handle/tang maybe everything will slide off nicely. That's probably what I'll do when I get around to it
I am pretty sure it’s a burn in. In my experience, and maybe it varied batch to batch, the handle didn’t slide off. It was not hard to get off, but not Super easy.

andrewlefilms

Reaction score
I am pretty sure it’s a burn in. In my experience, and maybe it varied batch to batch, the handle didn’t slide off. It was not hard to get off, but not Super easy.
Oh I see, did you cut the end of the handle off and try to hammer it off then?

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can put some color in the stock handle. Tru oil is simple. I use half Tung oil & clear shellac.

The barrel handles on the CCK work perfect with a pinch grip. If you are going to use the cleaver keep the stock handle.

If you want a wa it might feel like crap using it.

Jville

Reaction score
You can with a bit of modification. I’m guessing the tang runs through the handle and is bent in an L shape at the end of the handle. I rehandled my CCK and took a hammer to the stock handle. After smashing it I removed the metal ring on the front of the handle and filed off the the back of the tang. I spun a new ironwood handle on my lathe but a wa handle would fit nicely. You may need to do some file work where the blade and tang meet, clean that up a bit, square it for a wa handle to fit nicely. Pretty easy project and fun. Here’s a pic of mine.
That looks nice, can you do that with mine ;).

Danzo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super easy. You just need a hacksaw. Just cut where you want the tang to end. Lickity split

Cksnffr

Reaction score
Super easy. You just need a hacksaw. Just cut where you want the tang to end. Lickity split
I wasn't sure if the tang of the cleaver would be the right dimensions to stick into a wa handle.