Rehandling Chinese cleavers?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cksnffr

Reaction score
Anyone know if you can attach a typical wa handle to the ubiquitous round-handled chinese cleavers like CCK?

upload_2020-2-29_15-35-37.jpeg

I don't know what kind of tang, if any, is in there. But I know I prefer wa handles even on slicing cleavers.

I haven't owned a CCK, but I have rehandled a bunch of cheap Chinese cleavers. The tang is usually a long, ragged. rat tail. Often it goes all the way through the handle and then the last bit is bent to hold the handle in place. I usually break or grind off the crooked bit. Then you can put whatever handle you want on it. However, a typical wa handle is quite a bit skinnier and longer than a typical cleaver handle. So you gotta make sure it feels comfortable and balances right.

You can with a bit of modification. I’m guessing the tang runs through the handle and is bent in an L shape at the end of the handle. I rehandled my CCK and took a hammer to the stock handle. After smashing it I removed the metal ring on the front of the handle and filed off the the back of the tang. I spun a new ironwood handle on my lathe but a wa handle would fit nicely. You may need to do some file work where the blade and tang meet, clean that up a bit, square it for a wa handle to fit nicely. Pretty easy project and fun. Here’s a pic of mine.

Attachments

• 471049EF-F72E-4861-9FF2-2F33F45AA317.jpeg
    471049EF-F72E-4861-9FF2-2F33F45AA317.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 104
  • DB2B5C1D-A061-4468-8009-71694435361A.jpeg
    DB2B5C1D-A061-4468-8009-71694435361A.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 109
  • A83CD30D-100E-4D06-96B1-604CD4C775BD.jpeg
    A83CD30D-100E-4D06-96B1-604CD4C775BD.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 105
  • DA6AC08B-55E0-432F-A7A6-02E829108333.jpeg
    DA6AC08B-55E0-432F-A7A6-02E829108333.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 103
I have done a about 5 myself. @nakneker is dead on. Once you modify a tang, you can put any size handle on there. I can show you some photos of clients moritaka and CCKs if you like.

Of course you can just like said above. I did both of mine, however, the normal wa handle felt weird so I made some thicker wa-ish? Handles. I'm out of town but maybe I can get the fam to pop over some pics.

I have a big CCK also and have also thought about rehandling but haven't gotten around to it. I heard the handle isn't a real tight fit without the bent tang so if you just saw off the end of the handle/tang maybe everything will slide off nicely. That's probably what I'll do when I get around to it

I have a big CCK also and have also thought about rehandling but haven't gotten around to it. I heard the handle isn't a real tight fit without the bent tang so if you just saw off the end of the handle/tang maybe everything will slide off nicely. That's probably what I'll do when I get around to it
I am pretty sure it’s a burn in. In my experience, and maybe it varied batch to batch, the handle didn’t slide off. It was not hard to get off, but not Super easy.

I am pretty sure it’s a burn in. In my experience, and maybe it varied batch to batch, the handle didn’t slide off. It was not hard to get off, but not Super easy.
Oh I see, did you cut the end of the handle off and try to hammer it off then?

You can put some color in the stock handle. Tru oil is simple. I use half Tung oil & clear shellac.

The barrel handles on the CCK work perfect with a pinch grip. If you are going to use the cleaver keep the stock handle.

If you want a wa it might feel like crap using it.

You can with a bit of modification. I’m guessing the tang runs through the handle and is bent in an L shape at the end of the handle. I rehandled my CCK and took a hammer to the stock handle. After smashing it I removed the metal ring on the front of the handle and filed off the the back of the tang. I spun a new ironwood handle on my lathe but a wa handle would fit nicely. You may need to do some file work where the blade and tang meet, clean that up a bit, square it for a wa handle to fit nicely. Pretty easy project and fun. Here’s a pic of mine.

That looks nice, can you do that with mine ;).

Super easy. You just need a hacksaw. Just cut where you want the tang to end. Lickity split

I wasn't sure if the tang of the cleaver would be the right dimensions to stick into a wa handle.

Back