Remove shoulders / thinning

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donegoofed

Reaction score
Some of you have probably read about my sharpening fail last month. The damage has been repaired and it's still a decent cutter, but I think it's a bit thick right behind the edge (left side in the image below).

X1Rnx9k.jpg

I have made a quick sketch of the choil with a few different alternatives.
Y8OyCgY.png

Should I go for:
Alternative 1: Leave it as it is (the blue line is what I'm annoyed by)
Alternative 2: Thin only a small part to make it more even (blue line illustrates the difference between before and after thinning)
Alternative 3: Thin from shinogi and down (blue line illustrates the difference between before and after thinning)

The knife is a Matsubara Nashiji bunka – blue #2 and stainless cladding.

I really appreciate any input for a good solution.

I agree with Panda. Do option 2 first, as its the least amount of work, then do some test cutting with it. If you're not happy, proceed to moving up the blade bit by bit until you get it to where you want it.
Ok, I'll try that out.

I have to thin both sides, right? So the cladding is even on both sides.

Ok, I'll try that out.

I have to thin both sides, right? So the cladding is even on both sides.

If you just remove that little shoulder, then it would probably be fine not to. If you move on to option 3, it would be a good idea, although you may find you thin more on one side than the other. It's something you have to judge for yourself as you progress.

I agree with Panda. Do option 2 first, as its the least amount of work, then do some test cutting with it. If you're not happy, proceed to moving up the blade bit by bit until you get it to where you want it.
:Iagree:

Your sketches show the left side of the knife as a flat grind, but I don't think it really is. Check that side with a straight edge and I think that you will see some convexity. As you thin the right side you can work toward matching the left side.

It is perfectly common here to show the blade as you did, edge up. You will try the right bevel to be in one continuous arc with the face. Please notice the edge is off-centered to the left. Expect clockwise steering. You may reduce it by adding friction to the left bevel, e.g. by increasing the sharpening angle, or to further thin the right side. How much steering is acceptable is very personal.

A lot of information about asymmetry in Kippington's thread
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/a-basic-explanation-of-asymmetry.33951/

A very exaggerated figure here (it's a yo-deba):

Last edited:
I should’ve turned both of my pictures around. Makes more sense that way.

Well, you did fine and as Benuser said, it’s perfectly normal to do the way you did. Also, it’s good that you asked: sometimes messages get lost. It’s far from obvious what’s left and right in this discussion [emoji6][emoji854] The important thing is that you thin and do appropriate modifications on the (oops was going to say ’right’!) correct side of the blade! Good luck!

I gave it a shot. This is my first thinning attempt at a knife of this caliber. I have only messed with a couple of cheap Tojiros earlier.
It's not gone, but it looks like I removed the steepest (there is probably a better word for it) part.

Wq6Lmde.jpg

It was a fun project tho. My ambivalent feelings towards the knife is fading away, and it feels more like my knife again.

Thanks for all the tips, guys!
And btw, @Carl Kotte & @Benuser : Left side of the image is before. :p

Nice! Did you get to try it? Are you happy with how it performs now? It looks good!
Thank you!
I did a quick carrot test. It actually performed a bit better than before thinning (I was cutting some carrots for a ragu a few hours earlier).

I'll keep thinning it next sharpening session.

Thank you!
I did a quick carrot test. It actually performed a bit better than before thinning (I was cutting some carrots for a ragu a few hours earlier).

I'll keep thinning it next sharpening session.
Find out under which angle it performs the best. That's rarely when used with a straight angle. You may find out with a very loose grip, almost without any pressure, what angle the blade takes through hard food. Usually something like 30° to the right.

Latest posts

Back