Removing lacquer from Tadafusa KU

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boriha

Reaction score
Hi

I have problem with removing lacquer finish from my Tadafusa KU 165 santoku. I've tried with acetone and lacquer thinner wiping the coating for almost 25 min but no results.
Looks like only technique that works is scratching with sharp object, but i don't wont to damage the blade or KU finish. It is my project knife but nevertheless. Maybe any advice

LP BORIHA

Sounds strange. If its truly lacquer then acetone or thinner will remove the coating instantaneously.

Tell me about it, that's why i need help. Maybe is some kind of liquid vinyl or plastic, i really don't know :scratchhead:

Since it is your project knife, I would suggest that a stone will easily remove it.

I would like to keep KU finish, so the stones are out(for now )

Maybe take a few photos so people can see what you are talking about.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8rukakt3ia5weqr/AABKkxqr7XFlkMjC-WqXH50Ra?dl=0[/IMG]

Here are some photos, some parts of coating i manage to take of with sharp plastic

...the link you posted was for multiple pics...here is one

35-u5bbbOkR0FEhOlFR5CEpHB8Tx5_W_3Ud2IkbXV_w

Try again with acetone. Damp a rag with it quickly and do one strong wipe on the blade before it evaporates off. Don't rub back and forth and don't try to reuse the same spot on the rag repeatedly.

Thank's for picture Chinacats
Dark layer is coating, i think that Ku is a bit brighter when using lacquer thinner. I've tried with acetone, nothing. Any other idea :idea2: before sanding

Thank's for picture Chinacats
Dark layer is coating, i think that Ku is a bit brighter when using lacquer thinner. I've tried with acetone, nothing. Any other idea :idea2: before sanding

Methyl Chloride or Greens Stripper (if you can find it)

I took the "KU" finish off my moritaka 165 petty using my gesshin 400. Took a bit of time but it also thinned it down and the knife cuts better than before.

High grit sandpaper, take it off, forget the KU finish, its temporary anyway. Just polish the heck out of the blade and let the patina develop.

... forget the KU finish, its temporary anyway..

It depends on the kuro-uchi finish, and also on how you care for it. If you use a green 3M scrubbie, the finish won't last. If you use a cloth, it will, at least on most KU finishes.

I have several knives that are well over five years old where the KU finish looks the same as when it came out of the box.

Rick

Well good point Tiger. But I think the user has already begun scratching it up pretty good, might as well take it all off. I can understand wanting to preserve elements of the forge.

But for the most part, these KU finishes are rather temporary and his knife is not exactly a high end esoteric hand forged mondo exotic blade.

The act of polishing the knife heavily and get it to mirror up will result in a great patina with less food stiction. Might as well go for the gusto now.

Have you tried plain old scolding hot water? Maybe baking soda or citric acid?

Back