Removing patina help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
So I have a knife of a friends that has a patina on it,

I got some flitz and used a steel wool to remove it. Most is gone however some is still left. Outlines of it. Any idea on how to get the rest gone?

ok do i need to use anything other than a rag? i have 2k sandpaper was thinking about using that on it to remove as well?

Flitz should work pretty well. 2K paper will introduce scratch marks and shiny spots.

Mario and Salty would be better references, they are patinaphobes.

M

Hopefully salty will chime in, this is an older knife he wants to try to make a design with his so he wants to remove the older patina first.

The flitz took most of it off but there are still stains on it. trying to figure out how to remove those as well.

@ marko- I sharpened and made some videos today of the 210 will try to upload them as well as write a review in the next couple days.

If patina has been formed over years, Flitz won't remove it, so you would need to use some abrasives. 2K is too fine to do the job.

M

PS: thanks!

Ok sounds like i gotta do some work on it then i have other grits as well, won't have time this week but il get around to it thanks for the info

A very fine or super fine Scotchbrite belt on a belt grinder will remove all traces of patina that aren't actually pitted.

Flitz should work pretty well. 2K paper will introduce scratch marks and shiny spots.

Mario and Salty would be better references, they are patinaphobes.

M

WOW........I just got called a Patina Baby!!

ive never had a knife with rust or patina on it that i couldn't remove with a cork and BKF

Bkf? What's that?

bkf_sm.jpg

You might want to try Flitz with 0000 steel wool. 0000 steel wood is pretty gentle on metal and doesn't load up as quickly as sand paper.

If you need to go more aggressively, a rubber block (you can use a rubber pencils eraser) with 600-800 grit automotive paper might be appropriate. You will probably find some rust pits as well hidden by patina. Keep us posted.

M

i use the liquid BKF instead of the powder.

the lid comes off and it just so happens that a champagne cork fits perfectly inside the little hole where the squeezer is located. i shake it up and poor a little in the hole, dip the cork in there, and go to town.

I use autosol f aluminium polish all the time for polishing adn for washing I use Jiff or Vim ( BArkeeper's equivalent).. the powdered version both are abrasive. to remove the smell and gunk...

I once had a miurror polished burke scimitar adn tried to remove oxidized spots witl wmf stainless steel polish. A real disaster.. more brown spots appeared . Switched to Autosol adn it saved teh day.. Phew....

wathc the fingers though. use a thick rag adn preferably with a backing . I use a piece of soft rubber cut to 2inch x 2 inch.

have fun

have fun...

Back