Removing the last burr debris with an electric tooth brush

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benuser

from The Netherlands, EU.
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried this first with basic carbons, XC75, vintage Sheffields. Later on with AS. After deburring on a 8k still something seemed to be left. My poor technique, sensitivity or both, didn't want to round the edge too much. Very gently passing with an electric strictly rotating toothbrush at some 45 degree on both sides. Edges cleaner than ever before, don't know yet if they will last.
Any thoughts?

Tried this first with basic carbons, XC75, vintage Sheffields. Later on with AS. After deburring on a 8k still something seemed to be left. My poor technique, sensitivity or both, didn't want to round the edge too much. Very gently passing with an electric strictly rotating toothbrush at some 45 degree on both sides. Edges cleaner than ever before, don't know yet if they will last.
Any thoughts?

You sir are a freak!

I do mean that very much as a compliment.

could you make a video of this? i think i didnt understand how to.

LOL...sorry I did in fact chuckle briefly. I feel your pain. I have been frustrated with edge retention and perceived sharpness for quite sometime. Stropping on newsprint works...cardboard works well too. I can polish edges on cereal boxes...the ink they use is super duper smooth. I question if I need a super fine grit stone when I can wear out cereal boxes, packaged food boxes etc...those smooth products seem to produce fine edges.

However I think the crux of the issue we all face is knowing when the apex of the edge is truly meeting. Sorry...I know Apex is a buzzword the great, loved or hated Cliff Stamp often uses...but I truly believe in the utmost simplicity that the two sides must come to meet...when they do the edge stays sharper longer.

I find the most unorthodox burr removal is using broken pieces of a 5k stone...I take the stone...and swipe it up and down the blade on both sides....I am careful to keep the stone off the actually cutting edge. The sweeping motion seems to remove the fine metal that is sticking out above the cutting edge.

Then I can attempt to apply a microbevel as Jon from JKI demonstrates...it seems to work well.

But I wonder...perhaps I am crazy but honestly...do these screamingly effortless cutting edges actually last or is it an illusion? I mean it works... we feel sharp but then the edge reverts back to good cutting performance but not amazing.

Should I compromise and say it's good enough, then when it really feels dull take to the stones. I seem to have the most trouble slicing tomatoes...but they are out of season so YAY!

You sir are a freak!

Yup, that's also what I thought ;) . And I also mean it as a compliment. I've never been able to detect a burr after 600 grit or so. Can we arrange on how you're going to educate us?

I think we understand eachother wrongly. But let us not divert this from your original question.

I don't think my wife would mind if I try this out with one of my daughters' toothbrushes just once, right?

All i can think about is you replacing Steve Martin singing "i'm a dentist" in little shop of horrors.

While all these dental related puns and humour are pretty amusing... :) Not alot of constructive feedback.
Good on you Bernard for trying something different!

Thanks, Matus, for your kind words.

Ben, if you would make a video I would show it to my mom - she is a dentist (with little appreciation for electric tooth brush).

But seriously - it actually sounds like good and funny idea at the same time :)

Thanks, Matus, for the clarification. Cannot make a video, haven't the right stuff. For your information, I've used a basic Braun/Oral-B, only rotating in both sides, no pulsing. New standard brush. No pressure, 45 degree angle, on both sides of the blade. Speed about 1 second per centimeter.
Just to make sure: hold the knife with a firm grip -- the only time I suggest a firm grip, by the way.

Went a bit further with experimenting. After the carbons, the stainless: Gin-3 was very easy, successful in one single pass. VG-10 needed a few passes, best with a few trailing strokes on the 8k afterwards. Most surprising: my favourite enemy, Cromova by Global. I got easily rid of a full 2k burr.

If confirmed that would be a very interesting result. I would prefer to keep a soft stainless like Cromova a bit coarse, but had to take it to higher grids only for deburring.

Back