Replacing Western handle?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xunzi

Reaction score
I recently bought a Japan-made bread knife with a western handle. While I love how it cuts, I’m not a fan of the handle which is a shame.

I understand that replacing a western handle is more difficult than a wa-handle, which seems a bit more plug-and-play. Does anyone know anyone/a place that will replace/customise western handles?

Last edited:
I have not yet solved it. The handle works, but it's just too small for my hands. See pictures below:

IMG-1621.jpg
IMG-1622.jpg

Does the tang go all the way through the handle, from the top to the bottom?

If it does, you have 2 scales which you can replace fairly easily, if the tang stops inside the handle then you could add a spacer at the bottom of the handle and 2 scales on the side.

I hope the explanation is clear, I've just woke up.

Does the tang go all the way through the handle, from the top to the bottom?

If it does, you have 2 scales which you can replace fairly easily, if the tang stops inside the handle then you could add a spacer at the bottom of the handle and 2 scales on the side.

I hope the explanation is clear, I've just woke up.

It doesn’t go through to the bottom. Explanation is clear but I can’t do it myself so I was hoping someone new someone who does this kind of work…

It doesn’t go through to the bottom. Explanation is clear but I can’t do it myself so I was hoping someone new someone who does this kind of work…
Just ask, someone will send you in the right direction. It also depends where you are in the world. I could do it for you but I live at the bottom of New Zealand 🫤.

Just ask, someone will send you in the right direction. It also depends where you are in the world. I could do it for you but I live at the bottom of New Zealand 🫤.

Thanks! I'm based in the UK, so UK-based would probably be best / easiest.

If you don’t have any joy I’d be happy to put a new handle on it for you. Fairly simple to do bolsterless ones like this. If you’re any where near Cardiff you could come do it yourself in my workshop.

Latest posts

Back