Request: Worn knife photo

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Eshua, those are definitely some well worn knives...and they still look great!

Fantastic pics Eshua! Fantastic knives.

Dont see it here very often. Good to know there are chefs around!

RIMG0583.jpgRIMG0586.jpgRIMG0588.jpgRIMG0592.jpgRIMG0593.jpg

first one looks like I imagine my nogent sab will look like in about 10 years if i keep sharpening this often;

not if you do it properly! it shocks me how many old Sabs, and similar, that i see pictures of where the bolster never got ground down. it's endemic.

not if you do it properly! it shocks me how many old Sabs, and similar, that i see pictures of where the bolster never got ground down. it's endemic.

Mine is going off to Dave for some overhaul work soon...mainly in the bolster area. Even on a 220 stone (pink from EE) just seems too much steel to remove by hand? Is there a better way?

Mine is going off to Dave for some overhaul work soon...mainly in the bolster area. Even on a 220 stone (pink from EE) just seems too much steel to remove by hand? Is there a better way?

you really just need to get the bolster a bit higher than the edge line, and then you're good to go (as long as you are fine with having a couple millimeters of edge unsharpened, in front of the bolster). not a very good pic, but here is the heel of my Thiers-Issard Nogent chef knife:

dsc2144wp.jpg

Thanks Edipis!
That looks like what I am trying to accomplish...how did you grind it? I figure using anything other than a stone and I risk damaging the HT--even thought about taking mine to the sidewalk.:O

a DMT extra coarse eats the steel pretty quickly. a sidewalk would work, if you found a place with enough clearance to angle the handle down. i'd like to get rid of most of the bolsters on my various Sabs a la Dave's fantastic work, but it's not really necessary to get good service from the knives.

first one looks like I imagine my nogent sab will look like in about 10 years if i keep sharpening this often; 2nd one looks like it is worn into a honesuki profile...are these all French?

Both of these started out pretty hammered. I turned the Pouzet into my specialized turkey boning knife that sees action a few weeks out of the year.
The other is a Dexter Russell that was rather triangular when I got it, so I just ground down the bolsters, straightened the edge and put a single bevel on it. Frankensuke.

Resurrecting a very old thread... I just found this poor soul on ebay during one of my searches. It's hard to imagine how much use this knife's been through. Weirdly, the handle seems to have held up well and the red, pointy thingee shows a 'Zwilling' figure so this handle might be original to the knife!
a3.jpg

Back