Requesting advice from users of single-bevel kiritsuke knives.

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Qapla', Oct 19, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Oct 19, 2019 #1

Qapla'

Qapla'

Qapla'

Hi all,

I would like to request some advice from any of the forum's active users of single-bevel kiritsuke knives. I am considering purchasing one in the future (not right now; my usuba skills and overall single-bevel sharpening skills still have a ways to go), so I would like to know what you in your experience prefer in your choices of kiritsuke knives.

Many questions come to my mind, but I'll try to keep this reasonably brief:
    * Regarding dimensions, which lengths and heights do you consider most useful? How do weight and thickness factor in?

* What sorts of blade-profiles do you most prefer?

* What sorts of points do you most prefer? I notice that points vary in length (e.g. shorter point-areas on Suisin's vis-a-vis longer point-areas on Yoshihiro's, or so it seems in pictures) and in geometry (e.g. "third-planes" on the JCK Furinkazan Ginsan, Suisin Hayate, and Aritsugu Blue, while no "third-plane" on the Gesshin Hide, Teruyasu Fujiwara TFTFTF, or Masamoto HS Honyaki). I am guessing that the lack of third-plane would seem to make sharpening (and metal-removal therefrom) match exactly that of the yanagiba and kama-usuba, though presumably at the cost of somewhat less metal supporting the point--am I making a reasonable guess here?

* Users on this board have dealt with the knife breaking at the point, with some users even considering such destruction inevitable. For those who have not suffered such a loss, what technique advice would you offer to someone new to this knife type?

Thanks to any who have wisdom to share.

2. Oct 27, 2019 #2

Qapla'

Qapla'

Qapla'

Thanks anyways.

3. Oct 27, 2019 #3
    I had expected more experienced users than I to respond but I'll recount my brief time with one. .

For sashimi prep I was down to one nice yani and I wanted to send it off to Jon for a tune up - but that would leave me sans knife. I bought a mid priced Suisin Kiritsuke from Korin to fill the gap. https://www.korin.com/HSU-SAIKI-270

I liked the knife, it did well with the sashimi, but not as well as the yani. The tip, the weight, the length were all appropriate for the knife in this roll. I only had occasion to use it for ka.... (sp?) a couple times and it did as well as my usuba but was a bit unwieldy in that role. After I got the yani back from Jon I sold the knife to make funds for another.

If I were to buy again I would probably go with another Suisin, perhaps the same knife. But it would definitely be in the "want" rather than "need" category. (Anyone going to Korin Monday???)

4. Oct 27, 2019 #4

Qapla'

Qapla'

Qapla'

Thanks for this info! Yeah, this is definitely in the "want" and not "need" category for me too, and it'll be in the future either way.
    You mention it as being unwieldy for katsuramuki; what was it that made it unwieldy? Was it simply the extra weight and resultant forward balance?
    (I currently use a 210mm usuba, so I was wondering if a 285mm would be appropriate or whether to stick with a 270mm.)

5. Oct 27, 2019 #5
    It was a lot of blade above the product that made it unwieldy for katsuramuki. My usuba is also a 210, the awkwardness may have been a function of not using it enough to gain a level of comfort with it.