Restoring a Kasumi Finish?

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by mikedtran, Dec 14, 2015.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Dec 6, 2018 #151

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Bawww... don't give up so easily. I think many of the people who actively participate in polishing threads do it for the journey and not the destination. A highly polished knife (be it mirror or kasumi) places a large maintenance burden on the user... so it is more of an ornamental finish than a practical one. Part of the fun (and frustration) is overcoming obstacles like yours...

I don't think you have actually said anything about the knife or the KU? My apologies if I missed it. Who is the blacksmith... or what is the brand? I don't have a particularly big dictionary of knife experiences but I am sure if your knife is a recognised smith/brand, someone out there in the KKF-verse will be able to relate their experience with you.

But also... why don't you try to determine how stable the KU is? Find an out the way corner and test how stable/rugged it is? There is no shame in using a barrier to protect the KU and guide the finish... with the plastic or cardboard suggestion, I was encouraging you to try a poor-mans version of this.

2. Dec 6, 2018 #152

slobound

slobound

slobound

Thanks for the push to maintain the sharp edge. I'm really loving the video of how they use that tool to "block" the KU edge. The knife that I'm trying to keep the KU edge on is a Kono Fuji AS KU sujihiki. But I guess this would also apply to my Tsubaya Tanaka KU as well.

3. Dec 8, 2018 #153

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Luftmensch

Like I said, I haven't handled as many knives as some around these parts - I'll leave it to the community to see any information specific to those knives comes up... But my hunch (nothing more, caveat emptor) is that the KU on those knives is not going to disappear if you look at it wrong. Those are both well regarded brands....

.... Also... worlds collide... Isn't the knife being made in the video I sent a Tsubaya Tanaka KU?? ;)