Retooling my Shop

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!

Well, it has been long time since I wanted one, but finally decided to go for it. Left a deposit today and had it checked out. The hammer is working as new (only 9 years old) but the weight scares me, I am dreading getting it in my basement shop. Probably need a new shop but where I am, the industrial rents are pretty steep. The power hammer has been a missing piece in a puzzle. I already have all other forging equipment.

I was going to ask you if you were still in the same bldg. I recall your adventure with the Bridgeport.

Well, if I can't get the hammer in the basement, I need to look for a new shop space. I might start now, as other stuff is also pretty big, not as heavy as the hammer, but with a larger footprint. That's my biggest headache right now, to be honest.

Marko, given all the cool machines you have developed and build I am going to assume that building a workhsop should be a piece of cake :)

Well, it would be, except I am just outside of NYC, and commercial real estate is pretty expensive to rent, let along to buy/build. I am not ready to move up north yet, but in a couple of years time, I will probably do that - move north, buy a non working farm (zoned for commercial/industrial use) and set up my operation there.

But for now, I am stuck here, but I decided to move the shop to a ground level. Now am looking.

So from now on, I am officially a proud owner of a power hammer!

The hammer with the 1.75" plate weights 3.5 tonnes (7700lb). Needed to get a get a 7tonnes crane to move this big boy. Could use a little TLC and a new paint job, but mechanically it is sound and is only 9 years old. These were build to last 100 years, so plenty life left. For all its weight, it is still a one-piece hammer, simple to install - bolt the plate to the concrete floor, and the weight will absorb impact pretty well. Right now it's a perfect hammer for me, later I would want a larger one - 150kg or even 250kg or 400kg.

power hammer.jpg

The hammer with the plate weights 3.5 tonnes (7700lb). Needed to get a get a 7tonnes crane to move this big boy. Could use a little TLC and a new paint job, but mechanically it is sound and is only 9 years old. These were build to last a 100 years, so plenty life left.

View attachment 35244

Wowsa! Have fun!

Got a call this morning about an available workshop space in industrial warehouse near me. Maybe stars aligned ? ))

The hammer with the 1.75" plate weights 3.5 tonnes (7700lb). Needed to get a get a 7tonnes crane to move this big boy. Could use a little TLC and a new paint job, but mechanically it is sound and is only 9 years old. These were build to last 100 years, so plenty life left. For all its weight, it is still a one-piece hammer, simple to install - bolt the plate to the concrete floor, and the weight will absorb impact pretty well. Right now it's a perfect hammer for me, later I would want a larger one - 150kg or even 250kg or 400kg.

Looking at it, I would have added a 0 to my estimate of its age. It's amazing how a short period of neglect can make something look old, even something as brawny as a power hammer.

I have 1941 Brigdeport mill, that has been painted and repainted through its life, the last color - pink!! I planned to strip it of paint, and repaint it into a machinery color (blue, gray) but work got in the way and I gave up on that thought. As long as machine is oiled regularly and mechanically maintained, rust doesn't translate into neglect.

As for this hammer, it will be repainted, as I don't like green))).

On a different subject, saw a potentially good space for a workshop. Now need to think about it.

Well, cautiously optimistic about a new shop. The broker spoke the the landlord and the next thing is to meet in person and discus specifics. Moving equipment would require hiring rigging company, so I have to make sure I can do the work I intend to do, forging, and the noise from power hammer will be OK with the landlord and other building tenants. Sometimes I wish I were living in the middle of nowhere)))

Well, cautiously optimistic about a new shop. The broker spoke the the landlord and the next thing is to meet in person and discus specifics. Moving equipment would require hiring rigging company, so I have to make sure I can do the work I intend to do, forging, and the noise from power hammer will be OK with the landlord and other building tenants. Sometimes I wish I were living in the middle of nowhere)))

That's exactly where I live. I have a big basement that's currently under-utilized, Martell can have the attic. :thumbsup:

When people hear that I am looking for industrial zoned work space to manufacture goods in the US, they get excited. When I tell them that manufacturing involves forging, noise, gas furnaces, thier excitement subsides. They tell me that they would rather rent the space to warehouse goods that are mostly imports. And yet majority of the Electoral College states want to make America great again. The question begs - how? The golden years in the US in the 50-60s were precisely because of manufacturing. Go figure)))

When people hear that I am looking for industrial zoned work space to manufacture goods in the US, they get excited. When I tell them that manufacturing involves forging, noise, gas furnaces, thier excitement subsides. They tell me that they would rather rent the space to warehouse goods that are mostly imports. And yet majority of the Electoral College states want to make America great again. The question begs - how? The golden years in the US in the 50-60s were precisely because of manufacturing. Go figure)))

Makes you scratch your head, doesn't it?

Selfishly can't wait until your new shop is up and going so I can come by and mess around!!

Sure, I will let you know when the forging shop is up and running. And I hope to find a new shop by then for my big boy 175lb hammer. If I can't find, I might have to settle for a smaller hammer (125lb) and bring it down to my basement. 125lb hammer only weights 2..5tonn!! So I will have to put up with a small hammer until I am ready to move upstate New York. Then I will get the biggest hammer I can handle!!

Craving a big hammer is like the Internet, once you forged on a big hammer, all smaller hammers take too long)). The last time I forged was on a 325lb hammer. Surprisingly, it's considered mid size hammer. Next comes 600lb and 1000lb.

That is crazy :) - is there any upper limit to what would be still a usable hammer size for knifemaking? Those springhammers used in Japan do not looks that big/heavy, or am I mistaken?

Mechanical hammers are used in US as well, but spare parts hard to get by, and also most mechanical hammers have smaller opening, so if you ask for recommendation, a pneumatic is likely to be recommended.

The larger the hammer, the fewer hits needed to draw a billet. The fewer times you need to reheat the billet, the smaller grain structure you will end up with, or that is what I understood. If you ask DT what hammer is best for knife making, he will probably tell you - 1000lb. ))

A well maintained hammer will exhibit a remarkable control. One can probably gently crack an egg on a 1000lb hammer.

Thanks. Out of curiosity - what requirements are to be able to actually run such a hammer? How much power do they need? Not that I would be going to get one anytime soon ...

I surely expect a 1000lb hammer to be able to crack an egg :razz:

Thanks. Out of curiosity - what requirements are to be able to actually run such a hammer? How much power do they need? Not that I would be going to get one anytime soon ...

Be careful Matus, you already have one foot on the dark side...:disdain:

Marko, good luck finding your space for the shop soon.

I surely expect a 1000lb hammer to be able to crack an egg :razz:

Crack it,not smash it. I was implying control. There is a guy on youtube who forges on 400kg or 1000lb hammers, and I tell you, the damn thing looks as nimble as 25lb hammer.
[video=youtube;0uZbBxnfkCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uZbBxnfkCc[/video]

An 80kg hammer is typically run on 7.5hp motor, 150kg, on 15hp, and so forth. Definitely, not a garage enthusiast's equipment.

Been frantically looking for a new shop for a while and finally I found it. The space is not huge - 840 sf, but has windows, big ass exhaust fan, natural gas hook-up, and 3 phase electricity. Zoned for industrial use, so can bring a power hammer, a forge, any machinery, you name it)) The building is well maintained and the landlord seems like a nice guy besides (judging by the state the building is in) being a pretty good landlord.

Now I can finally bring my equipment in!

Giving a notice to my old landlord today!!!!

Back