Review : Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan White Steel No.2 Wa Series Hon Kasumi Wa Gyuto 240mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shauk

Reaction score
An Introduction

RESELLER/SERIESJapanesechefknife.com
BLADESMITHUndisclosed
SHARPENERUndisclosed
TYPE & LENGTHGyuto 230mm
STEEL & BLADEShirogami #2 Iron Clad
FINISHLengthwise kasumi (minor kasumi?)
WEIGHT / BALANCE180g from the website
HANDLE MATERIALHo Wood & Buffalo ferrule

IMG_5918.JPG

My first attempt at an iron-clad and I am thoroughly pleased with my recent purchase, thought I'd share a review and enable those who are looking to purchase JCK's FRKZ line.

Stats are taken directly from JCK's website and the make is unknown (if anyone knows the maker please chime in!) Paid $250 usd delivered to Australia.
IMG_5922.JPG

Grind wise is a little right-hand biased as the left side of the blade is 'flatter' than the right side, somewhere in between workhorse and laser grind. Thin BTE cuts through root vegetables with not wedging.

Food does stick a little but I've not used anything that does not stick.

IMG_5920.JPG
IMG_5922.JPG

The Ironclad patina really quickly as I noticed some discoloration transferred across my onions, no metallic taste thou.

IMG_5924.JPGIMG_5925.JPG

Fit & Finish - nothing like my Hitohira togashi b1 ss clad, but for the price I paid I can hardly find any fault, there's not sharp spot, handle is seated properly finger choil rounded and no steps between the ferrule and ho wood.

I am curious about what sort of glue they use to seat the blade thou.

I've also sharpened this on a 1k/6k suehiro cerax and please to say it takes and edge very well and burr forms pretty quickly.

Overall I'd rate this purchase a 7.5/10 (10 being perfect), I've not come across any review on this series by JCK so I though I'd share my experience with the forum.

I'd be happy to answer any question :)

Attachments

• IMG_5923.JPG
    IMG_5923.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5919.JPG
    IMG_5919.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Wow I had a feeling it had to be from some big retailer from Osaka region as the measurement is shorter, but never would I have expected it to be Jikko (if is really made by them).

I wonder who are the smiths behind Jikko in general, I follow them on Instagram their F&F looks impeccable.

FRKZ has knives from different makers. This one doesn't look like Sukenari to me, especially since they're from Sakai, and Sukenari is based in Toyama.

Sukenari's ones are pretty easy to spot and JCK list sukenari's as the maker, I think if anyone is wanting to take a dive at full carbon FRKZ is definitely value for money.

I think these look a lot like the knives sold marked as Yoshikazu Ikeda from e.g. Miura or Cleancut. But that might just be the Sakai style fooling me. I'm not that versed in all the variants.

Examples:

https://miuraknives.com/japanese-kn...24cm-id2996-japanese-knife.html#/34-size-21cm
https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knifebrands/ikeda/santoku2015-01-07-13-06-32-1853-1854-detail
I’m actually debating between this, FRKZ, Miura Itadaki and the Kagekiyo Blue 2, all seems pretty solid. How’s the edge retention so far?

Back