Review: Kippington and Two Dan Bidinger's

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Reaction score
Hi all.

Inspired by the recent topic on the cutting ability of other knives in comparison to Kippington's knives, I decided to write this review to expand on this topic and bring some transparency to the features of custom makers who are less talked about in comparison to Japanese knives. It is my first review, so please any feedback would be welcomed.

I have not sharpened these knives as I am not fully confident in my own abilities as yet but I am in the process of better developing them.

It is also not my intention to directly compare which knife is better as I believe at a certain level these aspects become personal taste.

Also I am a bit new to this hobby of knives so take my opinions as you wish.

If this is well received then perhaps I shall write more reviews in the future, time allowing.

I appreciate each of these knives and the level of craftsmanship that has been dedicated to realise each one of these knives

So without further ado

Kippington (Left), Bidinger B Grind (Center), Bidinger Workhorse (Right)

IMG_2938.png

Specifications

KnifeKippington 1/2 Workpony + 1/2 LaserponyBidinger WorkhorseBidinger B Grind
Steel
52100​
A2​
AEBL​
Handle​
Juma, Brass & Pine​
Micarta & Bronze​
Micarta & Bronze​
-​
-​
-​
-​
Edge Length
245​
232​
248​
Total Length
405​
358​
372​
Height at Heel​
54.7​
56.5​
53.5​
-​
-​
-​
-​
Spine Thickness at Heel
3.5​
3.0​
4.0​
Spine Thickness 10mm to Tip​
0.6​
0.7​
0.7​
-​
-​
-​
-​
Weight
194g​
234g​
188g​

Handles

Kippington (Top), Bidinger B Grind (Center), Bidinger Workhorse (Bottom)

IMG_2912.jpg
IMG_2914.png

Kippington

The handle is an amazing addition to Kippington's straightforward aesthetic. Exhibiting craftsmanship with the complete alignment of three varied materials. No noticeable protrusions and barely noticeable transitions from material to material. With an exceptional note on the pine which exudes softness, warmth and comfort. The install of the blade into the wa handle is immaculate, completely flush with seamless lines; one of the cleanest I have seen in comparison to many others.

Dan Bidinger's

I will preface the beginning of these with the impression that I have a slight bias to wa handles. Regardless, the geometry, lines, and execution of Dan Bidinger's handles exhibit complete artistry. Complete and flush alignment of the micarta and bronze pins. With such mastery of craft, I cannot distinguish the difference between the two knives' handles, with the exception of the variance in material. The tang tapering of the B Grind demonstrates knowledge and practice in craft to construct such a well balanced knife (right at the point of a pinch grip). The heavier full-tang workhorse is not to be dismissed, as it creates a more commanding feel in line with its nature. The merging the tang, handle and transition to the blade is expertly composed to allow me to hold both knives with a pinch grip in a very comfortable manner. While I do love these handles, I must say that if I were to have a preference, it would be that I am exceptionally enchanted by the Dan's layered handles over the stacked and mono ones that I have.

Fit and Finish

Choils - Kippington (Left), Bidinger B Grind (Center), Bidinger Workhorse (Right)

AEBD9B71-74E6-4F91-9AEA-A07D537D78ED.jpeg
4468FBB9-7C87-4D42-BA8E-D6EB098B0F29.jpeg
E4F4B1A5-D207-465C-B25D-0762D2D893D6.jpeg

Spine - Kippington (Left), Bidinger B Grind (Center), Bidinger Workhorse (Right)

IMG_2926.png
IMG_2925.png
IMG_2924.jpg

The fit and finish of these knives are astonishing, as previously suggested. Each knife's spines and choils comfortable rounded to the point of a mirror finish. I must mention the comfort, nimbleness, weight, and builds of Kippington's knife, and Dan Bidinger's B-grind are some of the best I have held. The profile and balance just allow for seamless extension of the arm and urge you to use them. Albeit likely being a personal preference, I find that I prefer holding these two more. The workhorse knife is not to be understated, as it has its charm ... as a workhorse but we'll allude to that in the next section.

Performance

Perhaps this is the section for which most have come for. I used each knife interchangeably on a variety of produce, namely potatoes, a thick sweet potato, and chunky carrots. These products were selected to give me an overview of the perks each knife might offer.

I was a little nervous and new to these knives and mainly used them in a push-cut manner, but I do feel I got a sense of what each knife had to offer. I do suspect that in certain instances, pull cuts might be more effective to exemplify the expertise of the tapered geometry of each of these makers' grinds.

Kippington

As preluded in the prior section, Kippington's work is a masterpiece to cut with. Going through the density of the massive sweet potato and carrot with relative ease, the cuts on the (non-sweet) potatoes can be compared almost to a glide. The profile and edge geometry are perfectly executed. Particularly, the former is usually a complement to Kippington's knives, and I would agree. I find that the balance and overall composition make the knife easier to hold and a perfect length, despite my preference for 230mm knives. The knife offers the perfect amount of curvature and flatness to allow for amazing push cutting. Its convex geometry dedicated to the right-hand grind allows for an enjoyable amount of food release despite the thinness of the grind.

Overall, a first-rate knife that more than lives up to the positive feedback generated by the community.

Dan Bidinger Workhorse

This iteration of Dan Bidinger’s workhorse is one of my personal favourite workhorse grinds. Balancing confidence in hand, smooth cutting ability, and food release. It eases through potatoes and thinner cuts of carrots and sweet potatoes. It does require slightly more force or the use of a straight downward motion from the off hand in certain instances of thicker cuts. I suspect the use of pull cuts and better cutting skills would provide for a better cutting feel through some of these cuts, but I cannot confirm this at the moment. Despite the preference for a flat profile, particularly common in Japanese knives these days, I find that Dan’s French profile workhorse grind is very comfortable to use.

Nevertheless, I really enjoy the balance of qualities in this knife. The cutting feel and geometry make this a great all-around knife.

Dan Bidinger B Grind

My particular iteration of Dan’s B Grind is an older grind and is double sided, whereas Dan is moving to a one sided B Grind. His new adaptation allows for an overall thinner geometry and a slightly heavier knife. Regardless, I really enjoy the feel of this knife, likely due to personal preferences for its weight range. I would make the same comment that I have made about Kippington's knife, in that I find that the balance and overall composition make the knife easier to hold and a perfect length, despite my preference for 230mm knives. The grind of the knife allows it to glide through the produce that I had almost as easily as a laser, yet offering superior food release that just sheds the produce off of its surfaces as an attribute of its specialty grind.

My concluding thought on this knife is wow.

I do know there have been prior reviews on Kippington's knives with absolutely positive feedback. I hope that I only reasserted the phenomenality of his work and have done the same to the artistry and craft of Dan Bidinger's work.

Well that's it, if you were debating on knives from these craftsmen, I hope that I gave you some clarity on the artistry and skill that they offer and hope that you had a good read.

End Credits

If you enjoyed that perhaps when I find time, I shall write another review on a few of the other western knives I have. I do intend to get 3ish or 4ish more but am quite content at where I am now.

Left to Right: Kippington - Bidinger B Grind - Bidinger Workhorse - Kamon Denty - Birch and Bevel Apex Ultra - Denka x Myojin x Sugi - Raquin

IMG_2945.jpg

Last edited:
Great write up for some awesome knives. Curious if you had any thoughts on the food release, stiction feel between the Kip convex grind vs the B grind? Is it fairly noticeable in use? Thanks a lot

Yeah, I would say personally in terms of cutting feel, they are not too dissimilar.

In terms of food release, the geometry is really well executed on such a thin knife for Kipp's case and as such there isn't as much drag and stiction compared to other thinner grinds. However, in many cases there is still a trade-off in thinness and food release, so I find that there is still some produce that remains on the knife's surface after withdrawing it. It is easily remedied with a quick flick in comparison to completely being stuck on there.

The B-Grind also has an intuitively executed geometry and is in particular a specialty grind, so in most cases it sheds produce off of its blade surface should it pass the fullers.

Although having not yet tried Kipp's hook grinds, I suspect from seeing them that they would be in a similar realm to the B-Grind.

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation, very helpful. Really enjoy the Kip WP I have, which is very much in line with what you wrote about, but was curious about the performance difference with a specialty grind. Good to hear from someone who has used both.

Will have to get my hands on a Kipp someday. The more I have seen them, the more convinced I am about their shape and grind being ideal. My Bidinger b-grind is my best cutting knife atm though. Cooking with it feels like an occasion every time. I put it up against a 150g Myojin grind and the food release makes a really big difference in performance.

Definitely agree with the B-Grind feeling special and its performance being at the really top tier of the knives I've touched.

Back