Review: Sukenari AS 225mm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModRQC

Just shutup n' grabbit!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Following my last review came a comment from a good KKF member who found himself in doubt about my specs behind the edge (the 1mm BTE measurement precisely). In his sense, mine were too low. He said this from an understandable perspective: more than a few knives I tried he also tried, and also took measurements of. His seemed to consistently be about 0.1mm thicker.

Now, anyone not interested in such a discussion as it arises here can immediately skip to the real Sukenari foreword following the asterisks.

Convergence is always an interesting happenstance of life. As this member made that comment, I had the present Sukenari on its way from KnS, and I had my former Hitohira Tanaka Yohei slowly making its way to its new owner in UK. Indeed, I first started to report BTE measurements when I introduced the specs grid in December 2020 for the consecutive reviews of two knives I had bought at the same time from the same vendor: one a Kawamura Y. Tanaka W#1, one a Sukenari SG2.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/review-kawamura-y-tanaka-gyuto.50849/

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/review-sukenari-sg2-k-tip.50893/

I can clearly remember for the Kawamura review that I wanted to explain how measurements were taken for the sakes of transparency. Then I had told myself: “No one will care about all this – it just gives a ballpark”. So I went with a few precisions underneath the specs grid instead. You can see those in the reviews above, but even that I eventually dismissed at one point, for about the same reasons I had discarded a full explanation of the specs grid when I introduced it.

Now I think is time for me to lay down a few things about my measurements – precisely for sakes of transparency. I’m not trying to prove a point. He may be right, and everybody may think I’m doing this wrong after this, but I’d rather stick with my ways of measuring since these have now covered quite a few blades from quite a few makers – so they are consistent across all reviews for sure. I also have a few reasons to believe my caliper is quite alright with most measurements, cheap as it is.

Une image vaut mille mots – so there you are for the most sensitive measurement:

_1Meas.jpg

What I do is really simple and was devised in a way that would work for all knives AND would always represent an equal distance from the apex. Back when I started taking these measurements, my Masahiro VC was my most consistent example of a very wide edge bevel on the cutting side for an asymmetrical knife, and it was about 1.5mm wide. And that was from my sharpening, a bit wider than it actually came OOTB. As for the typically symmetrical, typically thin enough knife, the edge bevel would tend to keep around 0.5mm wide. Conclusion: 1.5mm from the apex would work with most knives, and would really represent 1mm above the edge in 95% cases of what I get to review.

I liked that better than the alternative: always measuring 1mm above the edge bevel however wide it is. My problem with that is that any asymmetrical knife with an acute edge bevel on the cutting side would present with thicker BTE specs than how it would feel in cut and how it would really compare with symmetrical knives there.

Obviously, 5mm up the edge became 6.5mm from the apex, and 10mm up became 11.5mm from the apex. From there, I always take 2-3 measurements at each point, and just went with a formula that would always relativize my measurements – even when we’re talking 0.1mm increments. So if a heel height is 46.74mm, I will use 46 in the grid; and if a spine is 3.28mm thick, I’ll make it 3.2; but if a 10mm to tip measurement is 0.83mm thick, I’ll make it 0.9mm… The main idea is to keep things conservative rather than ideal.

When BTE measurements are very low, like in the 0.05mm ballpark, the caliper does go bonkers, and that’s when I use <0.1mm. Perhaps those would really be 0.1mm, and 0.1mm would really be 0.2mm with a better caliper. Then again, probably not so much.

All this doesn’t necessarily explain why my BTE measurements would be lower. Well… I don’t think they are problematic in the slightest. Merely logical: if you look at a Yoshikane choil for example and tell me it’s impossible that the last couple millimeters to the apex can’t be 0.1mm thick… I’ll beg to disagree. You could use a choil shot as a scale, marking the point where it is 1mm thick beforehand so it’s visible in the shot, and even the naked eye would easily discern that the immediately BTE segment fits at least ten times in the 1mm thick segment. Many knives however are a bit thicker at the very heel, hence why I use measurements at Heel + 10mm in the grid.

Also, I am not the only one reporting such measurements for known thin BTE knives. On the other hand, one of the arguments laid out to me was that in that member’s experience, 0.1mm and thinner made for brittle edges. Indeed, as you’ll poke about this forum, you will see a LOT of reports of real thin BTE knives like Yoshikane, Takamura and such to have chipping tendencies. There are other factors into play in a chippy OOTB edge, steel being one and quick belt sharpening another for example, but all in all I can’t see how the chipping argument would prove my specs wrong – on the contrary.

So out of anything much to improve with this system in my mind, I still decided that I should just give an average for BTE measurements from now on, unless a unit presents with interesting taper there from heel to tip – seldom really do. Otherwise, it really is just indicative like a simple choil shot is, and the ballpark average should suffice.

Our review knife:

_3AS.jpg

From my first review of their SG2 K-Tip unit, I’ll now finally preface this review properly with a point I made back in December, for I think it constitutes an essential benchmark to look at this AS unit:

_2SG2.JPG

« This knife revels in the sheer gusto of its own blandness: the shaping of its everything is just so perfectly well-suited, so brilliantly apt, so welcomingly smoothed and rounded, that it just about feels generic. It’s almost its pitfall, that sort of… hollowness to it. But then you just reach for it, use it, wash it, and not until putting it back to storage do you stop to consider: hey, that went awesomely smooth. »

That and the pictures – and specs grid (!) – in the review linked above should suffice to sum it up.

001_Start.jpg

MAKER
Sukenari
TYPE & LENGTH
Gyuto 225mm
FINISH & STEEL
Hairline Aogami Super
WEIGHT / BALANCE
191g / +10
HANDLE MATERIAL
KnS Ebony & Buffalo Horn
TOTAL LENGTH​
368​
BLADE LENGTH​
230​
EDGE LENGTH​
HEIGHT AT HEEL​
HEIGHT AT MID BLADE​
40​
HEIGHT 35mm TO TIP​
25​
SPINE
THICKNESS
HEEL​
MID BLADE​
2.2​
35mm TO TIP​
1.9​
10mm TO TIP​
THICKNESS OVER THE EDGE
@ 10/5/1mm
Average
1.1 / 0.6 / 0.2​

Handle: 1/1
Fit vs. Balance

Ideally, I would have liked this knife a bit more blade heavy. I still couldn’t find it a fault – nowhere close. Balance still makes sense there. I don’t remove points for “ideals”. And I really like that handle too: simple as I prefer them, but the extra quality and pretty neat install compared with the generic ones I’m used to see (and almost always feel the need to work on) is welcomed.

002_Handle.jpg

Blade: 0.5/1
Acuteness vs. Comfort

Where acuteness is concerned, Sukenari is still high up there with this blade cut and ground to shape excessively well – just like my SG2 unit was. However, we need to say goodbye to any rounding of the choil or the spine with this AS unit: mine is just square like a 150$ knife. It’s certainly very well finished still, more so than 150$ knives, and sort of smooth enough out of it that I can’t tell of any uncomfortable prep so far – and there were quite a few since I got it.

003_Blade.jpg

I thought that the rounding of choil and spine was a given with Sukenari though, so I went to scrutinize KnS pics of their various AS units. Most seem to have had the choil and spine at least chamfered, more often rounded, although it’s difficult to be sure in some cases. One thing of note though: I don’t remember seeing much other 225mm from other vendors/within the various Sukenari lines, so there might be something into this being a special order or something.

Finish: 0.5/1

Craft vs. Usage

Although it’s a bit coarser, a bit less perfected, with a bit of off-angle grinding marks compared to that of the SG2 unit, hairline finish is still nice enough. I don’t ever give full marks for a belt finish anyhow, but at the risk of repeating myself, it’s a pretty good finish where usage goes: it sure is a scratch and fingerprint magnet but it’s non-sticky with food and easy to clean. Also, not much of a pang to the heart when comes the time for serious stone work.

004_Finish.jpg

Grind: 2/2
Geometry vs. Performance

005_Profile.jpg

Like the tip very much, like to work with the knife very much, and the progressive belly works among the best as a flat spot for that length. Need I to remind that I don’t score profile anymore as it’s a personal matter in the end. It’s become an easy favorite – especially with a better edge than OOTB, which was nice but not very consistent. Look at the last pic below and you can easily see how the edge bevel was easily twice as thick at the tip compared to mid blade and heel.

I was drawn to this 225mm unit because it promised over 215mm real edge length. Sukenari edges are a bit Sakai like in that respect, but looking more closely they’re not, really. First, Sukenari are located in Toyama, but it’s hardly the point; second, there’s never a 15mm difference even with longer units; third, the full blade is always about 5mm longer than specs instead of being pretty spot on. They just work with a consistent -10mm at the edge, and get to be 5mm longer blades average because of the longer neck, which is always 15mm long with units I had, and a full machi which I prefer: more space there always translates with a more comfortable grip to me. YMMV.

006_Choil.jpg
007_Choil.jpg

Geometry is pretty on par with any other Sukenari unit from what I’ve seen in pics or in person. It’s no food release king, but it’s decent, albeit being geared more towards food separation, which I find excellent without being especially thin. It almost looks like a V-grind here, but we can see a bit of convexity on the cutting side, and I’ve not found any of the SG2 or AS units to exhibit the stiction and crappy behavior of strictly V grinds. To date most Sukenari grinds I’ve seen are fairly asymmetrical, although they don’t seem to tend to sharpen them asymmetrically.

008_GrindRS.jpg
009_GrindLS.jpg

I’ve been pretty thrilled with this knife, admittedly. I still don’t know exactly why – nor why I liked the SG2 K-Tip so much even where I wasn’t particularly impressed with SG2 itself. Upon first assessment, this unit came off a bit wrong from the somewhat indifferent F&F compared with the SG2, but in use… I just can’t find fault. The 65HRC Aogami Super is tough enough and holds outstanding potential towards keenness. I could do some finishing work myself, just as well as I could sand down the handle a good bit to get some more forward balance, but as I use the knife it doesn’t ever feel off nor even inferior to many higher end I tried. On the contrary: it feels like the very essential best of those I liked the most.

Overall Score: 4/5

010_End.jpg

Personal take:

So, I couldn’t remove any more points to this knife, but I feel many people would. To me, it’s just what the SG2 was: a knife that, albeit rather unassuming and forgettable, works awesomely smooth and natural in use, throwing the focus off of itself unto the work needed to be done – and here, with a much better steel in my humble opinion.

I don’t know if you feel like I do sometimes, but some of my knives they sort of weigh on my conscience, either because of the price tag, or because they need more maintenance and carefulness, or both as it often goes hand in hand. I love them, but can’t ever completely go into blissful automatic mode with them. They recall me of whatever more than a tool they inherently are no matter how often I use them. My recent acquisitions have thus been targeted at knives I can completely forget about. Sukenari AS is probably the very price limit I can stomach to at once get what essential higher quality I wanted out of this purchase, at once not shed a single thought about its perennity – or resale value.

The Sharpening Notes

A quick sharpening session told me that much: it is up to the hardness claim, real close to how a TF Mabs feels, albeit in this case there’s also some additional resistance in sharpening, and mostly some additional clinginess in deburring. Not a difficult steel to work with for sure, but not a run of the mill softer carbon core neither. It didn’t come with the most even edge bevelling out of the box, so I had to recut the whole thing. SG500 did good work out of it, but it sure would have been a good deal faster with a lower grit for this kind of work – whereas most softer carbon steels are dealt with fast enough on that stone.

All that said, definitely a pleasant, up to expectations experience. It’s good stuff, and a behavior I mostly entirely recognize from my longer experience sharpening a Deep Impact Gyuto, which I would thus categorize as a darn good cheap offering for high hardened AS steel. The Suke seemed easier to deburr but I’ve improved lengths since the Deep Impact, so probably it’s not.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I think the Gin-3 stamped knives are really the unsung heroes in their lineup. Same geometry / grind to this one, similar handles (and pretty good ones, even the 'normal' octagonal ho wood ones), but signifcantly cheaper than even this AS line. The only real flaw I can find with them is that their tips could have more taper.

FWIW I actually think the 'method' section isn't a bad idea, so people know how to interpret the numbers.

Lots of similar thoughts- I recently bought the hap40 Ktip and that initial feeling of- this is very “bland” knife. Maybe keep the packing box for BST.

The experience was really surprising- What it lacks in appearance really makes up for in both performance and feel. These are wolves in sheep’s clothing or sports cars in a sedans body. Really Well-made knives that are understated (unless dammy) and just perform.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I think the Gin-3 stamped knives are really the unsung heroes in their lineup. Same geometry / grind to this one, similar handles (and pretty good ones, even the 'normal' octagonal ho wood ones), but signifcantly cheaper than even this AS line. The only real flaw I can find with them is that their tips could have more taper.

FWIW I actually think the 'method' section isn't a bad idea, so people know how to interpret the numbers.

While I have nothing against Ginsan, you can get it everywhere, it's generally nicely done (think cheap Futana S3 and you get a perfect sample of the steel) but it never goes higher than 60-61 RC and it likes a toothy edge absolutely.

Same could be said of S. Tanaka Ginsan: value line but then again I'd always pay a bit more for the Aogami. Sukenari AS is like a Tanaka Aogami on steroids. And a maker of whom if not AS or the super rare YXR7, I'd jump a Hap or ZDP unit. Ginsan and SG2 make that bland stance of Sukenari totally bland. They're just everywhere in a similar HT package.

All Sukenaris could have more taper and thinner tips. Fact. Lack of taper is part of why they feel rather bland.

Lots of similar thoughts- I recently bought the hap40 Ktip and that initial feeling of- this is very “bland” knife. Maybe keep the packing box for BST.

The experience was really surprising- What it lacks in appearance really makes up for in both performance and feel. These are wolves in sheep’s clothing or sports cars in a sedans body. Really Well-made knives that are understated (unless dammy) and just perform.

Hey you don't have the rights to sum up ten pages of review in five sentences. :p

Just messing your post is absolutely perfect counterpoint.

While I have nothing against Ginsan, you can get it everywhere, it's generally nicely done (think cheap Futana S3 and you get a perfect sample of the steel) but it never goes higher than 60-61 RC and it likes a toothy edge absolutely.

Same could be said of S. Tanaka Ginsan: value line but then again I'd always pay a bit more for the Aogami. Sukenari AS is like a Tanaka Aogami on steroids. And a maker of whom if not AS or the super rare YXR7, I'd jump a Hap or ZDP unit. Ginsan and SG2 make that bland stance of Sukenari totally bland. They're just everywhere in a similar HT package.

All Sukenaris could have more taper and thinner tips. Fact. Lack of taper is part of why they feel rather bland.
Yeah from an enthusiast perspective I can understand that the Ginsan is less sexy.
On the flipside... it's a really nice 'normieproof, financially more accessible (and acceptable) option that makes for an awesome introduction to J-knives. And one you can recommend to people without any worries or concerns. You still get pretty much the same cutting performance, and a fairly nice handle, at a really low price level.

I think the lack of taper is what's really holding them back from being more widely loved by enthusiasts.

@PtownPhil what's the whole point of owning a Sukenari? I've never used/owned one.
A Sukenari is a HARD knife. It is primarily made for push cutters. If you saw you stuff, don't get a Sukenari. Thats why I play with the ZDP and Hap40. Push cut thru a Roast with that. The HRC is very important in a Sukenari cuz it's the opposite of the soft 58-62HRC yall are used to. So that's why you can't review a Sukenari like a run thru the mill knife.

A Sukenari is a HARD knife. It is primarily made for push cutters. If you saw you stuff, don't get a Sukenari. Thats why I play with the ZDP and Hap40. Push cut thru a Roast with that. The HRC is very important in a Sukenari cuz it's the opposite of the soft 58-62HRC yall are used to. So that's why you can't review a Sukenari like a run thru the mill knife.
Wat? This is a very strange statement to me, a 58-62 hrc knife user who exclusively push cuts (and loves my 255mm ginsan sukenari). I had no idea I've been doing it all wrong.

The profile does not lend itself to primarily be used as a push cutter. Sukenari gyutos are general purpose knives, so it makes very little sense to claim that these knives are mainly made for push cutting. In general feel free to post your own review as was suggested.

Wat? This is a very strange statement to me, a 58-62 hrc knife user who exclusively push cuts (and loves my 255mm ginsan sukenari). I had no idea I've been doing it all wrong.
It's ok sukenari themselves didn't realize their gyutos were made for push cutting only or primarily.

Last edited:
This review is a waste of a Sukenari. Thank God he didn't go play with their real stuff. Didn't list HRC and missed the whole point of owning a Sukenari.

... The 65HRC Aogami Super is tough enough and holds outstanding potential towards keenness. ...

Not a difficult steel to work with for sure, but not a run of the mill softer carbon core neither. It didn’t come with the most even edge bevelling out of the box, so I had to recut the whole thing. SG500 did good work out of it, but it sure would have been a good deal faster with a lower grit for this kind of work – whereas most softer carbon steels are dealt with fast enough on that stone.

Funny, what you're complaining especially with the choice of words...

Who ever said I was sawing stuff with my knives? This one is a total push cutter indeed. Just like I had said of my previous SG2 unit as well. I'd try a HAP-40 for sure. Not interested with their ZDP personally.

I just prefer carbon cores to PM.

So... what... your waste my gain, quite possibly.

Thanks for playing.

The profile does not lend itself to primarily be used as a push cutter. Sukenari gyutos are general purpose knives, so it makes very little sense to claim that these knives are mainly made for push cutting. In general feel free to post your own review as was suggested.
I don't have a problem with that. But when the review doesn't match the what I experience, can I question? Seriously No one gets the hairline, their a tad softer than the Damascus.

I don't have a problem with that. But when the review doesn't match the what I experience, can I question? Seriously No one gets the hairline, their a tad softer than the Damascus.

Ah lol I don't get Damascus if I can avoid them. But yeah on KnS they said the old Damascus Sukenari made of these were like 1-2 RC north.

Which I'm guessing with all your finesse that you would sure feel all that extra hardness would you? It would change your life. Would really make up for paying 200$ more than I did.

Appreciate the sarcasm but I've had enough of people who throw away their Sukenaris cuz it's not the knife they thought they've bought.

Who's talking about throwing that one away?

It sure would help getting any of your points across that they would at least make sense.

Good luck!

Ah lol I don't get Damascus if I can avoid them. But yeah on KnS they said the old Damascus Sukenari made of these were like 1-2 RC north.

Which I'm guessing with all your finesse that you would sure feel all that extra hardness would you? It would change your life. Would really make up for paying 200$ more than I did.
I never dis a person for how much they spend o a knife and why. I rather spend that time helping the person get the most out of it.

Back