Right or left handed?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So would you say this is right or left handed from the choil shot.

takada-no-hamono-suiboku-rosewood-blue-1-gyuto-240mm-knife-takada-no-hamono-chef-culinary-japa...jpg

Is this a question of a quiz :)
Trick of the eye, no? Perspective.
The right side appears flatter because that side is oriented 6-to-12 (perfectly vertical) in the pic. So, it looks like a clear rightly grind. But, the picture could be taken to make the left side the 6-to-12 perfectly vertical side, in which case it would look lefty.
The left side looks gently concave, but I think this is just perspective, too.
If this is a question not a quiz, take out a straight edge and check both sides of the blade by putting the straight edge spine-to-edge. This will show concave or convex and to what degree the sides are or aren't different. If it's a quiz, are there any extra credit questions?

No not a quiz, I don't want another righty, this is the only thing I've got to go with. I called the shop last night and he assured me the knife is a 50/50 grind, to me that means it sharpened 50/50 but it looks like its got a righty bias.

If it's a good shop, hopefully you could trust the dude. At the end of the day, a choil shot doesn't show anything in front of the choil. If the guy at the shop had the knife in front of him, hopefully he would check the whole grind not just peek at the choil.
I see it as 50/50 too--try tilting your screen in one direction then the other... It's like a shape-shifter :)

If it's a good shop, hopefully you could trust the dude. At the end of the day, a choil shot doesn't show anything in front of the choil. If the guy at the shop had the knife in front of him, hopefully he would check the whole grind not just peek at the choil.
I see it as 50/50 too--try tilting your screen in one direction then the other... It's like a shape-shifter :)
That's why I hate choil shots, I'll call again see if I can get someone who knows what they are doing. I agree if it is biased its not by much.

That's why I hate choil shots, I'll call again see if I can get someone who knows what they are doing. I agree if it is biased its not by much.
what knife? what store?

Take it from a lefty who has seen one million righty biased knives. That is a righty. Although it is not very pronounced. There is light convexing -spine to edge- on one side, the other appears to have concavity leading to light convexing, and gets even more convexed towards the tip.

As a lefty, though I would happily use this as neither side is pure flat.

No not a quiz, I don't want another righty, this is the only thing I've got to go with. I called the shop last night and he assured me the knife is a 50/50 grind, to me that means it sharpened 50/50 but it looks like its got a righty bias.
Have yet to see a symmetrically ground Japanese knife.

Back