RIP Cliff Stamp

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know many here may not recognize the name or his influence but Cliff was an influential if not polarizing figure in the general knife community for many years. There seemed to always only be two kinds of knife people with Cliff: Love or Hate. But I always respected him even when I didn't agree with him. As a pocket/sporting knife enthusiast, I found his videos many years ago. Then I found his posts on line in a very large forum where opinions are, well... Let's just say Cliff started his own forum. But Cliff was that first dude who made me start really thinking about knives and steels and geometries. He fueled that fire in me to learn more and make educated decisions for myself. Again, I didn't always agree with, or Hell, even understand him, but I respected him.

As @Deadboxhero so rightly points out in this video, Cliff was a pioneer. It's rough out there busting open passes for others to follow. Shawn is also a pioneer whom I have massive respect for and his words of reverence and wisdom are spot on.

I've always been fascinated by the prevalent disconnection between the sporting and culinary knife worlds. Gentleman like Cliff, Shawn, @Larrin and many others are bridging that gap.

RIP Cliff and thank you.

Last edited:
Holy Smoke, I wasn't ready for that. We've lost a rebel, an original thinker, and in many ways a leader. R.I.P. Cliff Stamp. I truly enjoyed listening to his thoughts on things such as "Plateau Sharpening" Very interesting individual.

I was gobsmacked when I heard of his death this evening... he'll be missed.

Take care

Jeff

I first ran into Cliff at Bladeforums when they first opened their doors (late 90's?) and almost instantly found myself arguing with him, even when I didn't know what I was arguing about. For some reason I butted heads with Cliff but I was far from the first or last to do that. Funny story is that Larrin actually got me to stop arguing with Cliff online, when he messaged me (back at Knifeforums?) saying some kind words about him after having seen he and I sparring over at BF, basically saying that he's not that bad...or something to that effect. Larrin was a youngster back then but intelligent/insightful, in many ways, well beyond his years. I think it was a year or so later that Cliff and BF had an irretrievable breakdown of some sort and he started up his own forum, around the same time that I started KKF (for a similar reason...LOL). I lost track of Cliff over the years except for the occasional video I'd run across but if I'm being honest I'd have to say that I still don't agree with most of what he said yet it's still sad for me to hear of his passing. RIP Cliff

Last edited:
Very sad news indeed. I remember watching his videos and being amazed at his knowledge. RIP 🙏

He may have been one of the worst explainers of all time, but I've legitimately gotten some additional insights from his videos that I continue to use. You really need a solid base of knowledge before you find his work though. Easy to get turned around.

When Shawn Houston makes a video commemorating you and the likes of Dr. Larrin Thomas, Sal Glesser and Phil Wilson (another forum) take the time to share their thoughts on your passing, I'd say you lived a pretty damn impactful life. That's some fine company to be sure.

I just saw this thread and am shocked!

I wasn't even aware of Cliff Stamp's demise.

Although I do not agree with all of his views, I have learned a lot from his thoughts and have always enjoyed dealing with his experiences.

R.I.P. Cliff, your death is a shock and a loss. I wish you from the bottom of my heart that you are in a better place now!

In addition to the topic here - Unfortunately, the Cliff Stamp Forum is no longer online. The domain cliffstamp.com has expired and unfortunately all content there is lost.

It's a bit like part of Cliff Stamp's legacy has been lost... shame on that!!

Been watching some of his older videos recently… 10 years on from them and he’s the only person that I’ve found that’s tested the effect on edge retention of abrasive vs non-abrasive sharpening methods. He was ahead of his time, in both the topics he covered and his unfortunate passing…

Hopefully someone manages to host his forums, or find some way to zip them and put them on google drive. Hard to think how much information is there, and currently lost.

RIP

Back