RIP David Smith

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Loftis

KKF Vendor
Reaction score
Sad day, folks. David Smith, the original founder of the Boardsmith, passed away on Monday. He was quite fond of the KKF community and grateful for the support that you all showed him in the early years of the business. I took over the business exactly 5 years ago, and I will remember David as a fierce advocate and a loyal supporter. He cared deeply about me and my family, and badly wanted us to succeed. He was always willing to offer advice, but only when I asked for it.

David commissioned a pair of nice butcher blocks for his kids this last Christmas, just a few weeks after his wife passed away. I was honored to give them that gift, and wrote a letter which seems awfully appropriate given the circumstances. Since his daughter posted the letter online, I feel comfortable sharing it here:

"Merry Christmas, Andy and Erin!

Your dad asked me if I’d make his kids something special for Christmas, and I was honored to do so. These are my version of David’s mosaic butcher block, and I hope you’ll enjoy them.

Your dad has had a real impact on my life. He’s invested his time and wisdom in me and I’m a better man for it. I wouldn’t be where I am now were it not for him. I know he can be an ornery cuss. But we’ve been reminded a few weeks ago that life is fleeting and our moments are precious. My hope and prayer is that you guys will love each other deeply, and think of him when you use your butcher block. I know how proud he is of both of you and how much he loves you.

Grab your moments!

Merry Christmas

John Loftis

The (Junior) Boardsmith"

Friends, let me just echo that sentiment again.... GRAB YOUR MOMENTS! Life is so fleeting. Do the thing that needs doing. Love the people that need loving. Don't let resentments, fear, or anger keep you from being the person you are meant to be.

I'll miss you, David. Rest in peace.

I have one from him. I'm sure I'll get one from you, too, John. Thanks for sharing news of his passing, and my condolences to his family.
It's nice to have things that are well-built and last. Sometimes it's just that simple. I'm sure many here appreciate his work and will remember him for his dedication to it.
RIP

Oh damn, that is sad. I meant to call him a couple of weeks ago, as I had not talked to him for a couple of years and I though it would be great to call and catch up. Sadly I did not.

David was one of the good ones. At his booth at the Metro Cooking & Entertainment show years back he gave away a couple of his cutting boards to some ladies who worked for DC Central Kitchen. They were thrilled, and he was very happy about getting a chance to thank those who devoted their time to helping others.

Losing Doug and now David over the last 6 months is very depressing.

I was sad to hear of his passing this morning. We didn't always get along, but we were always friends. The boards I have from him, have been, and always will be cherished. A daily lesson on what quality and craftsmanship should be in this day and age. Thank you for everything you've shared David! RIP...

Really sad news. I sent David an email about an order once when he was having trouble with his website. He sent me his phone number and said to call him. He was so knowledgeable, helpful and pleasant to talk with and personally took the order. I really enjoyed that conversation with him.

man... thats sad to hear... he was very much a gentleman and i still have boards he made for me. He will certainly be missed.

Very sad to hear, he was so respected in the community...

Additionally, it's strange to think it's been five years since he passed the reins... Carpe diem.

It makes me think of him when use my board made so well that could last several generations.

Also bought a maple magnum when it went on sale. It made its way to my nieces house couple years ago. She has 4 kids & a husband to feed. When I gave it to her included Dave's how to care for end grain boards info. She loves it has couple good knives too.

Dave was a good craftsman the boards he made that are still being used & will be for many decades are a testament to that.

Dang. I just went on this forum for the first time in years.

Was scrolling through this section for ideas for a cuttingboard to make. Sad to hear he's passed.

Oh wow, I'm completely shocked and saddened to read that David has passed away. The last I spoke with him he mentioned his wife and how she was doing and to also hear that she has passed as well is very sad indeed.

David worked very close with me for many years and was always someone who had my back and I'll never forget him for that.

The two boards I have made by him would have always been treasured regardless but now they have even more significance and I'll always think of him when using them.

I'm rattling here, I'm just so shocked.

RIP David

Very sad to hear of his passing. I own one his boards and it continues to be a center piece of conversation at my home. I've been in this game a long time and it it's always sad to lose one of the greats.

I’m sad to hear this, I remember when David transitioned the BoardSMITH brand to John several years ago, and I ordered my 16x22” maple end grain (custom without feet and 2.5” thick… thank you for accommodating my requests, John). The board is very well constructed and still perfectly flat; David’s legacy will live on in many of our kitchens. In addition to a cutting board, it also has a dual purpose as background for some of my knife and food pictures.

R.I.P. David

Sad day, folks. David Smith, the original founder of the Boardsmith, passed away on Monday. He was quite fond of the KKF community and grateful for the support that you all showed him in the early years of the business. I took over the business exactly 5 years ago, and I will remember David as a fierce advocate and a loyal supporter. He cared deeply about me and my family, and badly wanted us to succeed. He was always willing to offer advice, but only when I asked for it.

David commissioned a pair of nice butcher blocks for his kids this last Christmas, just a few weeks after his wife passed away. I was honored to give them that gift, and wrote a letter which seems awfully appropriate given the circumstances. Since his daughter posted the letter online, I feel comfortable sharing it here:

"Merry Christmas, Andy and Erin!

Your dad asked me if I’d make his kids something special for Christmas, and I was honored to do so. These are my version of David’s mosaic butcher block, and I hope you’ll enjoy them.

Your dad has had a real impact on my life. He’s invested his time and wisdom in me and I’m a better man for it. I wouldn’t be where I am now were it not for him. I know he can be an ornery cuss. But we’ve been reminded a few weeks ago that life is fleeting and our moments are precious. My hope and prayer is that you guys will love each other deeply, and think of him when you use your butcher block. I know how proud he is of both of you and how much he loves you.

Grab your moments!

Merry Christmas

John Loftis

The (Junior) Boardsmith"

Friends, let me just echo that sentiment again.... GRAB YOUR MOMENTS! Life is so fleeting. Do the thing that needs doing. Love the people that need loving. Don't let resentments, fear, or anger keep you from being the person you are meant to be.

I'll miss you, David. Rest in peace.
So sad to hear. I had David make a 24” X 36”X X 2.5” black walnut board for me over 10 years ago and it’s a work of art. Dealing with David was great. R. I. P. David.

This is sad to hear. The board I got from David almost a decade ago is one of the best kitchen purchases I ever made. His work will be missed.

Back