Round Chosera stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fujiyama

Reaction score
I stumbled upon these round Naniwa Chosera whetstones today. Pretty massive at 220mm diameter. What I think some of you may find intriguing is it's availability in 320 grit.

[video]https://youtu.be/V_psHMbYIQQ[/video]

naniwa-round-rubber-foot-220x23-steen.jpg

naniwa-qa0060-ronde-watersteen-d1.jpg

Anyone use one before?

i do have the 3k, but havent used it that much yet. the 3k chosera in general is one of my favorite stones. i guess i just have too many other stones and the big size somehow makes it even more hassle to handle it, like getting it out of the last corner of my box and drying it takes alot of space as well...

Thanks! Not cheap but just sent them an email to see if delivery to Oz is possible.
Does anyone know of a suitable motor / grinder these could be attached to? They are 220mm in diameter.

I'm UK based, I'd be happy to take delvery here and post it to you in Oz if they don't ship there and you need the stones.

Feel free to PM me.

I believe these stones are used to sharpen sobakiri primarily but also for long knives.

toishi-top2.jpg

toishi-top1.jpg

toishi-dai1.jpg

I've been watching these a while back as well. I can see one major advantage... since you can simply turn the stone it should be far easier to consume them evenly, resulting in less flattening and waste. The huge surface is probably nice as well, though I'm not sure how much more of it you can actually use (with handles / bolsters getting in the way).

Nice stones Berko! I love the 3000 as well.

That's the same website I was looking at, Marek. Did you end up placing an order?

That makes a lot of sense Dave! Thanks for the photos. These would be very useful on knives 300mm+.

Axes are often sharpened using round stones, but usually these are smaller in size.

You can put those stones on an old vinyl record player and sharpen your knives the lazy way.

I stumbled upon these round Naniwa Chosera whetstones today. Pretty massive at 220mm diameter. What I think some of you may find intriguing is it's availability in 320 grit.

[video]

naniwa-round-rubber-foot-220x23-steen.jpg

naniwa-qa0060-ronde-watersteen-d1.jpg

Anyone use one before?

I was just looking for then. Where's did you get my get them? Send to be a better shape than the typical rectangular brick

Does anyone have a place in the US to get these wheels?? I don't mind buying UK, but the postage and
customs hassle would be good to avoid..
Thanks
Bill
Have you tried looking in Amazon? I found 2 Chosers grit stones on the CDN site... Not much selection... But they are around..

Back