Rounding off sharp heel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viggetorr

Reaction score
So this week I've managed to stab myself in both thumbs with the heel of my aogami #2 150 petty. I could stop being clumsy, but I'd prefer to round off the heel of the knife. Pretty sure I'm not the first to do this, so hit me with your best advice! Should I just take my coarsest stone (Shapton Pro #220) and grind away with the sharp end pointed right into the stone? I feel like this might scratch the stone.

You could maybe use some coarse sand paper rather than a stone if you're worried about putting scratches in the stone.

So this week I've managed to stab myself in both thumbs with the heel of my aogami #2 150 petty. I could stop being clumsy, but I'd prefer to round off the heel of the knife. Pretty sure I'm not the first to do this, so hit me with your best advice! Should I just take my coarsest stone (Shapton Pro #220) and grind away with the sharp end pointed right into the stone? I feel like this might scratch the stone.

Use the side of the stone, where it won't matter if you grind a groove.

Thanks, I used a coarse sand paper which worked fine! My shaptons are so damn thin there are barely any sides there to use (meant to say Glass, not Pro).

I also hate sharp heels as I stab myself all the time. The first thing I do with every knife I get is to round it.

I also use the sides of my coarser stones like Tiger suggested.

I wld use a file, followed by sandpaper. Wld be great to mount it on a vice and work on it.

Its always good to have a vice (s)!

hv a nice week end guys.. Z

I hate the sight of my own blood on my knife! I decided that I was going to concentrate on my cutting technique and use the threat of blood as an incentive.

True that...I like to draw blood and then just round the heel with a strip of 220 grit sandpaper...

Back